Most awkward weight comment

Let me start off by saying that I found this comment humorous, and it didn't upset me at all. It was just awkward, came out of nowhere and was, well, laughable!

On my second day of a new job, I had to attend a meeting with all local office employees, and a few employees from other offices. I do not like to eat in front of people, especially not at lined up conference tables with people I don't know, but I didn't want to be rude. I got a taco salad, as salads are easy to pick around in without people commenting on how little you're eating.

The salad came with this gross cup of grade F taco meat, and I asked the people around me if they wanted it. One lady asked, "Why don't you eat it?", and I said, "Well, I'm a vegetarian." I realize it was a stupid response, but I was very nervous and didn't want to knock down the food (one of them was a part-owner of the restaurant that provided the food).

The lady responded, "Oh! That must be why you stay so trim!" I couldn't help laughing a bit, as I was 180 pounds at the time. I was totally mortified, and everyone around us looked like they were experiencing contact embarrassment.

What is the most awkward or silly weight comment you've ever received?

Thanks!

Replies

• janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    In some ways, all weight comments are awkward. :noway:
  • In some ways, all weight comments are awkward. :noway:

Very true. I've received both positive and negative comments, and I have to say that (in the workplace especially) most of them are pretty awkward and uncalled for! :wink:
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Somebody told me at a party in front of everybody that I'd lost so much weight that I looked even smaller than her... Then there was an awkward moment when everybody looked embarrassed as I was still clearly overweight and she is very tiny so it was so untrue it was laughable! I think the comment was genuinely meant well but I was quite embarrassed!
  • Somebody told me at a party in front of everybody that I'd lost so much weight that I looked even smaller than her... Then there was an awkward moment when everybody looked embarrassed as I was still clearly overweight and she is very tiny so it was so untrue it was laughable! I think the comment was genuinely meant well but I was quite embarrassed!

Ouch! Yeah, people often mean well, but some of us really don't think it through before commenting on appearance.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    An acquaintance was talking about how all the moms at her daughter's school are so fit and trim and that they don't like to hang around with "big girls like us." I mean, yeah, I've gotten a bit chubby, but dang!
  • brandnewsnickerpuss
    brandnewsnickerpuss Posts: 111 Member
    Not awkward but hilarious conversations took place with my family when I was down around 175 lbs and family members were concerned that my weight was getting too low. *LOLOLOL* Sigh. I was down from 350 lbs so I can understand their confusion, but still, it was pretty surreal.
  • emilysfatsuit
    emilysfatsuit Posts: 23 Member
    At last year's extended family Christmas get together, in front of 25 - 30 cousins, aunts, uncles, etc., my 80-year-old grandmother loudly exclaimed when I arrived fashionably late, "Oh my! You've grown so much since I last saw you!" ...Awkward chuckle... Umm, thanks, grandma...! Bless her heart, she said it in the same way she would have marvelled over a child growing a few inches taller. The only growing I'd done was around my waist!
  • Not awkward but hilarious conversations took place with my family when I was down around 175 lbs and family members were concerned that my weight was getting too low. *LOLOLOL* Sigh. I was down from 350 lbs so I can understand their confusion, but still, it was pretty surreal.

Be careful, honey, you might reach a healthy weight!

I've experienced that as well, and it is so funny. It doesn't even make me mad...it's just so unexpected and odd. Like, what are these people thinking when they say it? :laugh:
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Hmmm, awkward comments received, not so much. But I will NEVER forget the worst one I made:

Saw a high school acquaintance @ the mall about 5 years after graduation. We weren't close, but were friendly. He'd been very overweight in HS, and when I saw him looked much lighter, happy, and *healthy* (even in retrospect). I complimented him on how great he was looking.

We missed getting together to catch up (non-romantically), and 3 months later he was dead. His weight loss was due to brain cancer chemo.

Awkward? To say the least. And I still flinch when reading "no one's noticed my weight loss" postings. You just never know what's going on with someone, yanno?
  • Hmmm, awkward comments received, not so much. But I will NEVER forget the worst one I made:

Saw a high school acquaintance @ the mall about 5 years after graduation. We weren't close, but were friendly. He'd been very overweight in HS, and when I saw him looked much lighter, happy, and *healthy* (even in retrospect). I complimented him on how great he was looking.

We missed getting together to catch up (non-romantically), and 3 months later he was dead. His weight loss was due to brain cancer chemo.

Awkward? To say the least. And I still flinch when reading "no one's noticed my weight loss" postings. You just never know what's going on with someone, yanno?

Aw, I'm sorry. It is hard to know what to say and when. I'm sure you weren't the first to make that mistake. It is such a touchy thing!
  • daniellabella986
    daniellabella986 Posts: 325 Member
    I was at a bakery picking up a cake to bring to a get-together, and the lady asked me if I was pregnant, so I had to politely tell her no and see her stumble to apologize, and then I didn't know what to say either so there was that weird avoiding eye contact deal haha. Yeah. Awkwarrrrrd
  • i ordered a fruit shake a java and the man who was at the register said i had the body shape of a pear. i found it funny !
  • Miffy79
    Miffy79 Posts: 1 Member
    Bless. All they see is in comparison to what you used to be, yes you are very thin. I have that all the time, it drives me mad. You work so hard to lose it, then you get the - oooh, you've lost too much weight. Well done and don't listen to them.
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Probably form my sweet ol granny. I was at her house and she has asked politely how much I had lost, I told her 40 in 3 months but this week I had only lost a pound. Well, she was like a pound isn't bad and I agreed no it's not bad at all, still a loss. Well she decided to take it a step further and right as everyone else in my family was coming through the door she decided to grab one of those pound things of butter, like the ones in the box and start putting it in all my problem areas of my body. Right as my family walked through the door she was holding it against my *kitten* saying "see, a pound is a lot and you never know where you lost it from, could be anywhere." I guess not so bad but I still think about it 3 years later. I couldn't even make eye contact with anyone after that.
  • I saw a guy that I had worked with 3 years ago and he said "Hey, you been hittin the gym? I cant tell." Then preceded to make the hand motions people make... gosh I can't describe it... like Danny does in Grease.. The big boobs, small waist, big butt hand motion... lol whatever thats called. Sad thing was that he wasn't trying to joke with me, he was dead serious trying to give a compliment. Awkward....
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    I've lost 70 plus lbs and have been feeling really positive. I ran into someone that I haven't seen in almost a year and they asked if I was sick because I had lost weight! :(
  • srichardallen
    srichardallen Posts: 20 Member
    I worked at a grocery store and was ringing up a customer I had seen several times before. I had lost like 20 or so pounds since the last time I saw her, so she was asking me how I managed to lose weight.
    I told her I was eating healthier and exercising and just taking care of myself.
    She told me she thought I had a thyroid problem.
    Eek!

Another customer was joking around about buying a bunch of junk food one day and asked the bagger if she liked junk food, then the customer turned to me and said, "You look like you like junk food, huh?"
    Sigh.

It's tough when people point out your weight, but sometimes it takes a stranger to snap you into focus. :]
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    I'm getting tired of people telling me I will disappear if I lose anymore weight, :grumble:
  • pinklemonayde530
    pinklemonayde530 Posts: 29 Member
    The most awkward comment for me was during a late night run to Wal-mart with my bf at the time. We didn't get a cart because all HE wanted was some mayo and a 2-liter of soda. I picked up the mayo and as we were heading to the soda some lady stopped us by saying "shouldn't you be getting the light mayo ? (since I was the one holding it) " I was shocked and just kind of looked at her funny before she proceeded to ask what I was doing to lose weight. I had never seen this lady in my life before and stopping us like that was just shocking and rude.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I didn't find these awkward per say it just made me realize the changes in me...

1. Visited an Aunt over the holiday's with my husband, when we walked in she said to my husband "holy crap she's half the woman you married"...which is in fact true...I was a size 16 when I got married....now a size 8.

2. I was walking with my husband and my Dad drove by with my step sister (she is 16) and as they got past me and my dad waved she said "holy I didn't recognize her she is so tiny"....her mom relayed the comment later.

this one is awkward..

3. Aforementioned step sister and her sister at Christmas dinner told my son that I am so much prettier than my sister now that I am skinny like her......:noway: :noway: :noway: not sure why being skinny makes me pretty but I wont be relaying that to my sister...