10 American Foods that are Banned in Other Countries

Replies

• Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Eeuw. I think I'm gonna become a vegetarian. On the other hand, it's legal to sell horse meat for human consumption in Germany as long as it's labeled as such!

I'm surprised they didn't mention high-fructose corn syrup. Coke/Pepsi seem to be able to get away with it only in the US.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    I have no problem believing there are issues with additives and farming practices in the US. However, as I read this article I just kept thinking:

'Citation needed... citation needed... citation needed...'

Many sins are committed in the name of food mass production, but just as many are committed in the name of compelling copy, especially online.

In other words don't believe everything you read, at least until you've checked out the source.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    I just spit all over my monitor and keyboard and I've only made it to the second food...
    Unfortunately, the gigantic human lab experiment is only about 10 years old, so we are likely decades away from tabulating the human casualties
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I have no problem believing there are issues with additives and farming practices in the US. However, as I read this article I just kept thinking:

Many sins are committed in the name of food mass production, but just as many are committed in the name of compelling copy, especially online.

In other words don't believe everything you read, at least until you've checked out the source.

Ditto....
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    I consider myself well educated on the topic of GMOs so I know the negative health claims made under No 2, Genetically engineered papaya, are completely false. That puts the rest of the article in question. Ok... I just noticed the "source" of this information at the bottom of the article... Mercola and Real Pharmacy. Anything on Mercola should immediately be considered false.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    This is one of the worst articles I've ever read.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    If you google these, you'll find sources. However, some types of arsenic-based drugs are taken off the market. Way too late, though.
  • chineyLuv
    chineyLuv Posts: 130 Member
    . Mercola and Real Pharmacy. Anything on Mercola should immediately be considered false.

By no means am I well educated on these things...so I'm curious........Why on Mercola?
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    No sources listed. Anti GMO banner at the top. Move along. Nothing to see here.

You know, potatoes have arsenic in them. Naturally.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member

This is one of the worst articles I've ever read.

+1 to both. All I needed to see: Source: Mercola
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    . Mercola and Real Pharmacy. Anything on Mercola should immediately be considered false.

By no means am I well educated on these things...so I'm curious........Why on Mercola?

Joseph Mercola is a well-known purveyor of junk science. Denies that HIV causes AIDS, says microwaving food is dangerous, and all kinds of other total nonsense. Uses misinformation and lies to drive fear in order to sell books and page views.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    IN, to get me through the morning tomorrow.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member

http://www.quackwatch.com/11Ind/mercola.html
  • Dugleik
    Dugleik Posts: 125

That was my reaction as well. In addition Australia and New Zealand have incredible strict import rules when it comes to food, so having them as an example isn't all that telling.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Personally, my eyes rolled into the back of my head when I realized the article wasn't actually about food/chemicals in food that are only used in the US, but ones that happen to be used in the US but are banned in SOME other countries.

America is teh evul.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    748.gif
  • I'm not buyin' what he's sellin'
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member

This article may lack citations, but it's common knowledge that a lot of this is true. For example, GMOs. Pretty much all of Europe bans them or at least requires them to be labeled as such, and many, many other countries do and you can find this information via various trustworthy news sources or the state in questions own official websites. It's all out there and easy to find.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member

This article may lack citations, but it's common knowledge that a lot of this is true. For example, GMOs. Pretty much all of Europe bans them or at least requires them to be labeled as such, and many, many other countries do and you can find this information via various trustworthy news sources or the state in questions own official websites. It's all out there and easy to find.

Too bad the article didn't feel like using any of those trustworthy and easy to find sources to back up what they were saying.
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member

Too bad the article didn't feel like using any of those trustworthy and easy to find sources to back up what they were saying.

It's the Internet, not a college thesis. The writer of the article is not obliged to list sources. It's great if they do, but we as consumers should be capable of doing our own research. Just because this person didn't cite sources doesn't mean it's not true.