What's the best way to get a 6 pack?

Personally what do I need to do to get a 6 pack guys, I'm doing insanity workout second week and dieting too. I WANT THIS I WANT IT SOOO BAD

JUST NEED GUIDANCE

6"2 I weigh 189

24.3 bmi

Replies

• SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
    1y8uj7.png
  • WaKay
    WaKay Posts: 314
    run to the grocery store, hit the liquor department. grab a six pack.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Calorie deficit.

/thread
  • laura0770
    laura0770 Posts: 161 Member
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • CharlzO
    CharlzO Posts: 96 Member
    No easy answer (and WaKay stole mine anyway..)

Keep up the diet, and keep the activity up. There's no way to only go for the one. Obviously some moves will strengthen it more than others. But until the diet and burn brings down the fat that's covering up your abs, you won't see them. Just keep with it, it'll come along. There's not really anything you can do for a shortcut.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Reduce body fat %.
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Eat the right foods, right amount for you, drink water instead of fizzy drinks, cardio, lots of strength training and most of all PATIENCE ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    For visible 6 pack abs you will need to be around 10-12% BF. Forget BMI, who cares. I would also suggest dropping the Insanity routine and getting into the weight room with a good progressive overload program that focuses on compound lifts. Compound lifts will do more for those abdominal muscles than all of the crunches and sit-ups in the world, so I personally wouldn't bother with those...there are better exercises if you really want to isolate those muscles.

Cutting the fat is obviously necessary to show the muscle...but at the same time, you have to build some muscle to show.
  • Okay, lol little bit of trolling in the community I'm okay with that.

I know I have some fat however, to build abs... What's the best exercise for the abs like without equipment.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Okay, lol little bit of trolling in the community I'm okay with that.

I know I have some fat however, to build abs... What's the best exercise for the abs like without equipment.

I suggest that you check out a book called "You Are Your Own Gym"
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

I suggest that you check out a book called "You Are Your Own Gym"

ditto...also "Convict Conditioning" is good.
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Basically, the more muscle you have on your body, the more fat you will burn. That's why people say to lower you body fat %. Once you have a low enough body fat % you should start to see abs :)
  • Basically, the more muscle you have on your body, the more fat you will burn. That's why people say to lower you body fat %. Once you have a low enough body fat % you should start to see abs :)

Thanks I liked this and I will be reading that book... I wonder if I can download it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member

You have abs. They are covered under fat. The only way to make them appear is to lose the fat. Hence, calorie deficit.
  • I'm supposed to do calorie deficit? Is that bad or good?
  • Because I am staying under my calorie goal a little bit but I focus on getting more than 1200
  • For visible 6 pack abs you will need to be around 10-12% BF. Forget BMI, who cares. I would also suggest dropping the Insanity routine and getting into the weight room with a good progressive overload program that focuses on compound lifts. Compound lifts will do more for those abdominal muscles than all of the crunches and sit-ups in the world, so I personally wouldn't bother with those...there are better exercises if you really want to isolate those muscles.

Cutting the fat is obviously necessary to show the muscle...but at the same time, you have to build some muscle to show.

This. Your weight/BMI is irrelevant when it comes to getting a 6 pack. Your body fat % is the bottom line.
  • For visible 6 pack abs you will need to be around 10-12% BF. Forget BMI, who cares. I would also suggest dropping the Insanity routine and getting into the weight room with a good progressive overload program that focuses on compound lifts. Compound lifts will do more for those abdominal muscles than all of the crunches and sit-ups in the world, so I personally wouldn't bother with those...there are better exercises if you really want to isolate those muscles.

This. Your weight/BMI is irrelevant when it comes to getting a 6 pack. Your body fat % is the bottom line.

How do I figure my body fat %
  • Valrotha
    Valrotha Posts: 294 Member
    Check out this article on livestrong.com. It doesn't deal specifically with 6-pack abs, but it does have a few exercises that may help.

http://www.livestrong.com/slideshow/1006734-crunches-wont-give-flat-abs-12-moves-will/

How do I figure my body fat %

Hydrostatic weighing is the best way. You can google "hydrostatic weighing" and your city/state and see what pops up. It's a bit pricey but its the most accurate. You can also have a trainer do it at the gym--some are better at it than others but it will give you a ballpark estimate of where you're at. Ultimately, it doesn't REALLY matter whether you know what it is or not--to get a 6 pack you still have to work toward reducing your body fat from where it is now.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!