Please dont wear perfumes to the gym

Replies

• FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    In for more hilarious comments.

As for myself, I try to at least match at the gym, I actually feel like everyone else is better dressed and I'm under dressed. But then again, I work out at my school's gym (ASU). I already feel insecure there, so I don't try and do anything that brings attention to myself. But I match. Most expensive thing I wear are my Nike's, which weren't even full price cause I got them at DD's Discounts lol. I do wish they weren't blue with a pink logo, but that's preference, not wanting to look good.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    You've gotta be kidding me. You are so beyond dramatic. It's a bit ridiculous. Running past people's homes when they are doing laundry irritates your lungs? 1) How do you know when they are doing their laundry? 2) Unless you have the sniffers of a dog, I DOUBT you can even smell anything. 3) I can walk/run/jog perfectly past people's homes while they're "doing laundry" and I have severe asthma/allergies and a lung function of 28% that requires breathing treatments multiple times a day. So please save the drama.

I can tell when come people are doing laundry- and I have no allergies. It's actually pretty easy to tell. I'm not surprised at all.

since I never commented on the scent issue
    I don't mind people wearing stuff at the gym: I only mind people who marinade in it. And there is most certainly a difference- I mind it when I get stuck in an elevator with those same said people. I mind what they do ANYWHERE- because it's too much. It doesn't have to be at the gym.

The issue is you stop smelling it after you wear it for years- so to you it you can just barely smell it and it smells fine... but to everyone else they are gagging. So I understand the issue- but I politely move away or avoid them. Or I stand upwind. It also means for my own personal use- I ONLY apply body spray the EXACT same way every time even though I've been wearing it for years- I can't smell it any more except when I just put it on- but I have had people walk up and tell me how good I smell later. I stick to the same 2 sprays- and for actual perfume- wrist- bra line and a dash behind the ears. That's it.
  • okay, so let's say I doll myself up to go to the gym, wear loads of perfume and cute gym clothes,
    1- how is it affecting you other than setting your asthma off which can be easily treated with an inhaler which you should have with you anyway. if you don't that makes it your fault.
    2-Me wearing make-up and cute clothes doesn't affect you either, if anything it's gonna make me work harder because I'll know there are people looking at me (Either pathetic judgmental people or people who like what they see) and therefore, I'll work harder.
    3- Even if the only reason I'm at the gym is to look cute and get laid, why should you care? you're there to work your *kitten* off and cute guys are just a distraction so you should be thanking me for removing them! :wink:
    so as you can see, wearing make-up and cute clothes and perfume is beneficial to you in the long run...:flowerforyou:
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Perfume was meant to be worn so that it could only be smelled within a foot or so of the person wearing it, so as to draw in the person you are talking to. As in a man that is interested in you. Not so everyone in the room has no choice but to smell it. The art of perfume wearing is mostly gone.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    I hate when people look prettier, and smell better than me at the gym...
  • I wonder why if a girl wears perfume/makeup, that it's anyone's business.

Exactly!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Its very irritating to people like me with asthma, and it doesn't make you smell any better when it mixes with your sweat.

Thank you.
    Stay home or bring an extra puffer. The world will not conform to your needs.
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Normally I don't notice perfume scents all that much, but the other day a gentleman came in doused in cologne. It was like he drank it and it was oozing from his pores. Really, really strong. So strong that it permeated the whole gym. That was a bit excessive and not needed. To be honest I think he was there trolling for women. :-/ Today on the other hand, there was a portion of the gym that smelled like maple syrup and pancakes. Now that was just wrong. Wrong I tell you!! Spent my entire spin class with visions of huge stacks of buttery pancakes!! Think I might have me some breakfast... ;-)
  • KimJoyCook
    KimJoyCook Posts: 6 Member
    Perfume was meant to be worn so that it could only be smelled within a foot or so of the person wearing it, so as to draw in the person you are talking to. As in a man that is interested in you. Not so everyone in the room has no choice but to smell it. The art of perfume wearing is mostly gone.

AGREED!

Gosh, what about just plain common courtesy. Have people forgotten THAT? I don't expect anyone to cater to me, but come on people...

I wouldn't go so far as to "banning" someone... but have a little common sense to NOT bathe in french *kitten*-smelling perfume. Not just at the gym, but ANY time. It just doesn't smell good.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    I have just left the vicinity of the douser in the past. No big deal for me. They will eventually learn to not douse it on prior to a workout.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    is this real life?
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Runner5AbelTownship Posts: 243 Member
    is this real life?

is this just fantasy?
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    is this real life?

is this just fantasy?

Is this The Matrix?
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Hehe, a few of my neurons just died a slow, painful death.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member

AGREED!

Gosh, what about just plain common courtesy. Have people forgotten THAT? I don't expect anyone to cater to me, but come on people...

I wouldn't go so far as to "banning" someone... but have a little common sense to NOT bathe in french *kitten*-smelling perfume. Not just at the gym, but ANY time. It just doesn't smell good.

Too bad this is not the reason prefume was implemented in Western Civ. During the Renaissance period, perfumes were used primarily by royalty and the wealthy to mask body odors resulting from the sanitary practices of the day. Basicly, its used to mask the other people so you don't have to smell them, ideal for the gym.

Now, some one put on their good awful smelling perfume near the drinking fountain, and then left the gym, leaving a cloud of grossness. I couldn't get a drink for 20 minutes with out having to puke.
  • PMcLinn
    PMcLinn Posts: 27 Member
    Thank you. For those of you who are protesting this idea, there are some scent-free workplaces. Do you complain about schools that implement peanut-free lunch rules? No? Because you don't think it's OK for kids to have to worry about going to the hospital after lunch break?

Yes, I try to balance my horrendously-bad allergies with other people's freedom to smell however they want, but when you're dousing yourself in perfume after your workout in our small locker room, then you're just a d-bag.

perfume haters vs anaphylactic shock from eating peanuts. Get over yourself.

Oh, I bet the detergent aisle at the grocery store is deadly

actually, it can be, I have severe asthma and If I am already having a bad breathing day I can NOT go down the detergent aisle at the store without setting off an attack, which CAN kill someone...you don't realize how bad asthma is until you have it. That being said, when I am working out if someone comes next to me that starts to set it off, I move....and if they ask why I tell them
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    It makes my allergies go haywire. I won't even let the janitor use his cleaning spray around me. It's that bad!
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    I guess it would annoy me if it was overpowering but I can't say I've ever smelt anything so bad it's bothered me... Hey maybe I'm just too focused on my workout to notice! :happy:
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    is this real life?

is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    is this real life?

is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide

No escape from reality.