Ketogenic-low carb diet??

I was up the whole night researching ( lol ok googling ) diets that look like I may be able to follow them. The Ketogenic one looks appealing. Im going to try it short term because I can only imagine what the high fats will do to my cholesterol etc.

For those who haven't read about it, it works on the theory that if you feed you body high fat ( not chemical fat - natural fat ) and ZERO sugar or white flour, then your body will go into Ketosis. That is where your body goes into your sugar/fat reserves and starts burning it off rather than using it as it comes in and storing the rest.

This is HUGE deal for me. I am sugar addicted. I don't want to set my self up for failure but im constantly in a state of anxiety over the creeping pounds, not fitting clothes, daily. When I stress, I reach for sugar, cinnamon buns, cookies etc.....and watch the pounds stick to me even more.

Anyone want to try this with me? Its my day one. wish me luck :)

Sarah

57250916.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    You can manually track your cholesterol on here... I did for a couple of weeks to see what had the most but I always stayed under and remember healthy fats are good for you as well
  • Deuxtrouble43
    Deuxtrouble43 Posts: 41 Member
    Put Keto in the group function. There are quite a lot of us who eat this way.
  • COliver416
    COliver416 Posts: 87 Member
    I've done a great deal of research on Low Carb diets, not just googling, but a wide variety of papers. Don't worry one bit about your cholesterol. My father had dangerously high triglyceride levels, in three months of low carbs (moderate low carbs, he cheated a bit, but, ate right 70% of the time). His triglyceride's dropped from over 300 to the high 100, they cut his medications, and he got off two of his three diabetes medications.
  • It works !! I am not a sugar junkie but I love pretzels, popcorn, the high carb salty stuff. I had started months ago not eating so much .I started eating a lot more vegetables t, fruit etc. During that time I did not gain any additional weight , felt better but lost nothing additional. So I started Atkins 6 days ago and have lost 4 lbs. I want to loose total of 20. When I get there I will continue to eat healthy , add healthy carbs but maintain. It's not that hard to stick to, just watch EVERYTHING you eat and count the carbs you will notice the change by the third day. You can get the list of carbs by checking Atkins . I miss my nightly glass of wine. I also found it really helpful to prepare a head of time everything I was going to eat so there are not last min grabbing high carb food. But I and you can do it !! Get the weight off and when you get where you want...MAINTAIN. Good Luck !!
  • Every body reacts to change differently. There are the known and the unknown with any dietary change. So take all opinions lightly and just find what works for you. Give ketosis a try and if it works, fantastic and if it doesn't...there are plenty of other ways to try to create a healthy lifestyle.

A co worker of mine follows ketogenic diet and it has worked fabulous for her, but it's not for everyone. I personally need balance and simply eat clean and it works for me. I too am a recovering sugar addict so I wish you the best of luck sticking it out. Hold strong and get past the first 3-5 days without the sugars and you will be amazed at how you feel. You won't want to mess up and reach for that sticky bun after that. Pinky swear :)
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Thanks for all your replies!

:happy:

Happy Saturday !
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    this is all I have for you ..Keto, Low Carb, IF, etc are not some magical diets that burn through fat….all they are is tools to create a calorie deficit..

You can accomplish the same thing with a calorie deficit, hitting macro targets, and working out. Sugar is not making you fat. Eating caloric surplus is. I just think it is not a good idea to label certain foods "bad" and then entirely restrict them.

Ask yourself this. Are you going to eat just about zero carbs/sugar for the rest of your life? I highly doubt it, but I could be wrong...
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Just make sure you have urine ketone testing sticks and are willing to test for large amounts of ketones. I was an undiagnosed T1 diabetic for months, and, because my body could not metabolize glucose, in a way, it was like I was on a ketogenic diet. Over time, the ketones built up in my body, and I went into diabetic ketoacidosis less than three months ago.

There is a risk of going into ketoacidosis with a ketogenic diet. The urine ketone sticks can help in determining when you need to get to the ER ASAP.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    I've done low carb/Atkins-ish for awhile and it really is what I can stick to for a long amount of time. For some reason I don't binge eat like I do when I don't eat low carb. I've tried low cal and its very difficult for me to stick with it. You may experience the "low carb flu" so don't let that stop you if it's something you seriously want to try to see if it's something for you to get to your goals. I actually have the opposite, when I eat low carb I have more energy and alertness almost right away.

Good luck! You may want to find a low carb or keto group on MFP that you can join. You also may want to find some ketone strips. (I didn't use them my first round of low carb and had a lot of success but I use them now just to see where I'm at and if I need to cut my sugar/carb intake or if I knocked myself out of ketosis)
  • ndj1979
    I've done low carb/Atkins-ish for awhile and it really is what I can stick to for a long amount of time. For some reason I don't binge eat like I do when I don't eat low carb. I've tried low cal and its very difficult for me to stick with it. You may experience the "low carb flu" so don't let that stop you if it's something you seriously want to try to see if it's something for you to get to your goals. I actually have the opposite, when I eat low carb I have more energy and alertness almost right away.

Good luck! You may want to find a low carb or keto group on MFP that you can join. You also may want to find some ketone strips. (I didn't use them my first round of low carb and had a lot of success but I use them now just to see where I'm at and if I need to cut my sugar/carb intake or if I knocked myself out of ketosis)

does anyone else think that a diet that gives you a 'flu' is a good thing? I never understood why people want to torture themselves to lose weight when you can just eat in a calorie deficit and work out/move more….
  • MelRC117
    this is all I have for you ..Keto, Low Carb, IF, etc are not some magical diets that burn through fat….all they are is tools to create a calorie deficit..

You can accomplish the same thing with a calorie deficit, hitting macro targets, and working out. Sugar is not making you fat. Eating caloric surplus is. I just think it is not a good idea to label certain foods "bad" and then entirely restrict them.

Ask yourself this. Are you going to eat just about zero carbs/sugar for the rest of your life? I highly doubt it, but I could be wrong...

I agree with the first statement, but for some people it is what helps them create that calorie deficit. Its much more difficult for me to stick to low cal than low carb, others they can't imagine a day without a piece of bread. It isn't magic doing low carb and is so easy, but neither is low cal for many people.

Also, you don't eat zero carbs. Its low carb and as you continue you slowly add more carbs into your diet.
  • MelRC117

does anyone else think that a diet that gives you a 'flu' is a good thing? I never understood why people want to torture themselves to lose weight when you can just eat in a calorie deficit and work out/move more….
    I suggest you do some reading about what the "low carb flu" is. For some people eating low calorie is torture. If it works for some people great. It doesn't work for everyone. Everyone knows that eating less and working out will get you to lose weight, but its a whole other thing to actually do it.
    Do what works for you. She will do what works for her. If she tries low carb but it doesn't seem to help her cut her calories then she can try harder to limit her cals overall. I will continue to do what works for me. I'm not torturing myself.
  • jennibear22
    jennibear22 Posts: 95 Member
    Just make sure you have urine ketone testing sticks and are willing to test for large amounts of ketones. I was an undiagnosed T1 diabetic for months, and, because my body could not metabolize glucose, in a way, it was like I was on a ketogenic diet. Over time, the ketones built up in my body, and I went into diabetic ketoacidosis less than three months ago.

There is a risk of going into ketoacidosis with a ketogenic diet. The urine ketone sticks can help in determining when you need to get to the ER ASAP.

I did very low carb/keto for a couple of weeks there. I lost quite a bit and managed to focus on that over the physical effects that worried me a little. I asked about acidosis in the Atkins group and the risks of it and was totally torn apart for it and told I was an idiot.
    Reseearching it was difficult as a lot of medical thought seems to say keto can cause acidosis but lots of research saying it cannot and actually can cure it?

Left me very confused and I upped my carbs a bit to come out of keto as just wasn't sure anymore.
  • ndj1979

I suggest you do some reading about what the "low carb flu" is. For some people eating low calorie is torture. If it works for some people great. It doesn't work for everyone. Everyone knows that eating less and working out will get you to lose weight, but its a whole other thing to actually do it.
    Do what works for you. She will do what works for her. If she tries low carb but it doesn't seem to help her cut her calories then she can try harder to limit her cals overall. I will continue to do what works for me. I'm not torturing myself.

right. so restricting whole food groups is easy, but eating in a moderate 500 per day calorie deficit is hard….sounds legit...
  • ndj1979

I agree with the first statement, but for some people it is what helps them create that calorie deficit. Its much more difficult for me to stick to low cal than low carb, others they can't imagine a day without a piece of bread. It isn't magic doing low carb and is so easy, but neither is low cal for many people.

Also, you don't eat zero carbs. Its low carb and as you continue you slowly add more carbs into your diet.

I said just about zero….

Also, Calorie Deficit is what makes you lose weight, not low carb. All you are doing with keto/low carb is eliminating certain food groups to create a calorie deficit. At the end of the day it all boils down to calories in v s calories out...
  • ndj1979

I did very low carb/keto for a couple of weeks there. I lost quite a bit and managed to focus on that over the physical effects that worried me a little. I asked about acidosis in the Atkins group and the risks of it and was totally torn apart for it and told I was an idiot.
    Reseearching it was difficult as a lot of medical thought seems to say keto can cause acidosis but lots of research saying it cannot and actually can cure it?

Left me very confused and I upped my carbs a bit to come out of keto as just wasn't sure anymore.

YOu can continue to lose weigh if you just eat in a caloric deficit. The first few weeks of introducing carbs you will "gain" water weight but that will subside and it isn to fat mass that you are gaining...
  • MelRC117

right. so restricting whole food groups is easy, but eating in a moderate 500 per day calorie deficit is hard….sounds legit...
    Seriously? If it was so "easy" and "legit" how do you think people gain weight in the first place? To each their own. Which seems to be a very difficult concept for you to grasp.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    YOU ARE ALREADY HERE! YOU HAVE AN MFP ACCOUNT!! Why not just use it as its designed? Why cut out foods you enjoy? It's really not difficult to use.

Sigh.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member

Seriously? If it was so "easy" and "legit" how do you think people gain weight in the first place? To each their own. Which seems to be a very difficult concept for you to grasp.

People who use MFP correctly only gain weight if they want to.
  • MelRC117

People who use MFP correctly only gain weight if they want to.
    Right and for some people to use it correctly, it means using low carb to not exceed their limits.