People who weigh their foods--question

I know eating an amount of protein, carbs, and grains is a perfect meal every time but how much of that chicken,fish, or steak? How much of those brocolies, carrots, or sweet potatoes? How much of rice, bread, or pasta?
I've recently moved and found my old food scale and its still works! I would love to start using it and be "precise" with my loggings.
Anyone have excellent knowledge on this??

Replies

• Krisydee103
    Krisydee103 Posts: 416 Member
    bump
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    As much as you plan on eating I suppose.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Do you mean the actual percentage of each food group per meal?
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Um, however much tastes good and fits my macros? Not sure I understand the question.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Um, however much tastes good and fits my macros? Not sure I understand the question.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    You can start by doing an internet search on what portions sizes for different foods are. Once you know that, you can start by weighing food according to that. But ultimately, if you want more and have the calories allotment for it, then you can go ahead and do that instead. But if it helps search for portion sizes to get an idea.
  • Krisydee103
    Ok I'm not sure how to ask it differently... if it didn't make sense the first time, it probably won't the second time lol
    Every meal you should eat your protein, carbohydrate, and grains... So lets say chicken, rice and broccoli.
    I have a food scale and I would like to know what is the proper amount of food in either Grams, cups, or oz I should be eating for each group above (chicken rice and broccoli type deal). Does that make better sense??
  • Krisydee103
    You can start by doing an internet search on what portions sizes for different foods are. Once you know that, you can start by weighing food according to that. But ultimately, if you want more and have the calories allotment for it, then you can go ahead and do that instead. But if it helps search for portion sizes to get an idea.

But if I can google everything... what is the point of this site...?
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Does this help?

my-plate.jpg
  • Krisydee103
    Does this help?

my-plate.jpg

No... not really... Thanx though
  • wpwarrior88
    wpwarrior88 Posts: 1,503 Member
    The percentage of carbs/ Prot/fat you need each day can be preset by MFP or you can do a little research and studying on your own to determine your personal goals and set your own daily %.

I use both the oz. and the gms on my scale as need to meet the MFP food input. For instance I know that the carrot entry I use is in oz. and the apple, potato, banana ones are grams.

How anal you want to be with the measuring is up to you.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    The hard part is that serving size varies by each item, there's no blanket statement of how many grams of protein/carbs/fat should be on your plate. You could always take your daily goal for carbs/fats/proteins and divide them into how many meals you have, then aim for those numbers at each meal. That's assuming you don't snack though.

Still not entirely sure that hits your question, as it's a little hard to understand.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    I think the reason we don't understand the question is weight doesn't really have anything to do with calories/g protein or fat or calories. And different foods have different serving sizes. Like broccoli should be about 3 oz (well according to the package of frozen broccoli I have), chicken is 4 oz and rice is half or whole cup cooked (look up rice in the food database and one of them will list it in g or the package of rice might say). In general meat is about 4 oz, but chicken breast (boneless skinless) is about 120ish cals and 70/30 hamburger is 380 cals so it's not as simple as just the weight of the food.

And the point of this site isn't to tell you how much to eat, but to help you track what you do eat because everyone has different goals for weight loss or gain.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member

But if I can google everything... what is the point of this site...?

To track what you eat and how much you work out to help you lose weight? You'd be surprised how much outside research lots of people on this site do to be informed. You get as much as you put in.
  • Krisydee103
    The percentage of carbs/ Prot/fat you need each day can be preset by MFP or you can do a little research and studying on your own to determine your personal goals and set your own daily %.

I use both the oz. and the gms on my scale as need to meet the MFP food input. For instance I know that the carrot entry I use is in oz. and the apple, potato, banana ones are grams.

How anal you want to be with the measuring is up to you.

How do you preset your carbs, protein, and fats??
  • This is why it is important to plan out your food for the day/week. If you know what you are having for breakfast, lunch and snacks, you know how many calories, carbs, etc.. you have left for dinner. Say you have 500 calories left for dinner, you can figure out that a serving of brown rice is 200 calories, broccoli is 30 calories, you have 270 calories left. Now you can weigh out 270 calories worth of chicken. Chicken is around 150 calories a serving so at that point you can decide if you want a serving and a half of chicken for 225 calories or maybe just one serving for 150 calories and a small treat later with the leftover calories.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Depends on what your goals are. For me? I'm trying to lose fat and gain muscle on a sustainable balanced diet. So I go with 40% protein 30% fat 30% carb. Plug that in to MFP and it will tell you how much of what you need. It's not complicated.
  • Krisydee103
    I think the reason we don't understand the question is weight doesn't really have anything to do with calories/g protein or fat or calories. And different foods have different serving sizes. Like broccoli should be about 3 oz (well according to the package of frozen broccoli I have), chicken is 4 oz and rice is half or whole cup cooked (look up rice in the food database and one of them will list it in g or the package of rice might say). In general meat is about 4 oz, but chicken breast (boneless skinless) is about 120ish cals and 70/30 hamburger is 380 cals so it's not as simple as just the weight of the food.

And the point of this site isn't to tell you how much to eat, but to help you track what you do eat because everyone has different goals for weight loss or gain.

OMG! Thank you! That is what I was looking for and that makes a lot of sense. THANK YOU. :)
  • Krisydee103
    Thank you everyone, I think some of you have answered my question very well. I guess it is a little vague of a question now that I know the answer lol! Wish me luck! :)