Protein Bar Recipe

VastBreak
VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
So I have been cruising through and trying to find a protein bar recipe that young kids might like. I need a sandwich type replacement for school lunches with no nut butters! We try to keep his protein and fat levels up, we fine his focus is much better when we watch this, however I'm finding this challenging with eliminating peanut butter! I would like to play around with a couple recipes this weekend to try out before school next week! Any suggestions?

Replies

• nettasue35
    nettasue35 Posts: 190 Member
    on bodybuilding.com jamie eason has a couple of recipes for protien bars not sure if they have peanut butter in them. its a free site also. and it has a video of her cooking them.
  • VastBreak
    Thank you NettaSue! I'll check that site, I have had no luck finding any that don't include nuts or nut butters!
  • VastBreak
    Fudge Brownie Chocolate Protein Bars
    Adapted from Black Bean Brownies

1 1/2 cups black beans (1 15-oz can, drained and rinsed very well) (250g after draining)
    3 tbsp dutch or regular cocoa powder (15g)
    7 tbsp chocolate protein powder (I used Nutribiotic) (45g)
    scant 1/4 tsp salt
    1/3 cup pure maple syrup or agave or honey (Honey is not for strict vegans.) (75g)
    pinch pure stevia, or 2 tbsp sugar of choice
    3 1/2 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil (35g)
    1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/3 cup to 2/3 cup chocolate chips (Not optional; omit at your own risk.)
    Homemade Chocolate Protein Bars: Preheat the oven to 350 F. Combine all ingredients except chips in a high-quality food processor, and blend until absolutely and completely smooth. (A blender works if you absolutely must, but the texture and taste will be much better in a food processor.) Stir in the chocolate chips. Pour into a greased 8×8 square pan. Optional: sprinkle extra chocolate chips over the top. Cook the homemade chocolate protein bars 16 minutes. They will still look underdone when you take them from the oven, but this is okay. Let cool, then pat down with a pancake spatula. Refrigerate overnight. The bars will have firmed up and are now ready to cut and eat. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Makes about 10 bars.
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    If you use Jamie's recipes... seriously get the vanilla protein powder as recommended! We did chocolate ones and they were heinous with chocolate powder lol she's right that they totally bake funky! Kept everything the same 1 batch to the other just used vanilla in the 2nd attempt and they were WAY better
  • alicial78
    alicial78 Posts: 8 Member
    Fudge Brownie Chocolate Protein Bars
    Adapted from Black Bean Brownies

1 1/2 cups black beans (1 15-oz can, drained and rinsed very well) (250g after draining)
    3 tbsp dutch or regular cocoa powder (15g)
    7 tbsp chocolate protein powder (I used Nutribiotic) (45g)
    scant 1/4 tsp salt
    1/3 cup pure maple syrup or agave or honey (Honey is not for strict vegans.) (75g)
    pinch pure stevia, or 2 tbsp sugar of choice
    3 1/2 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil (35g)
    1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/3 cup to 2/3 cup chocolate chips (Not optional; omit at your own risk.)
    Homemade Chocolate Protein Bars: Preheat the oven to 350 F. Combine all ingredients except chips in a high-quality food processor, and blend until absolutely and completely smooth. (A blender works if you absolutely must, but the texture and taste will be much better in a food processor.) Stir in the chocolate chips. Pour into a greased 8×8 square pan. Optional: sprinkle extra chocolate chips over the top. Cook the homemade chocolate protein bars 16 minutes. They will still look underdone when you take them from the oven, but this is okay. Let cool, then pat down with a pancake spatula. Refrigerate overnight. The bars will have firmed up and are now ready to cut and eat. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Makes about 10 bars.

Thanks!
  • VastBreak
    It is easy to make your own protein granola bars at home. You can vary the ingredients and protein boosters to suit your tastes. This version of the snack contains oats, bran, chocolate chips, and yogurt. A non-dairy version is also included.
    Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

Nonstick spray
    1 cup soy protein powder
    1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
    2 cups rolled oats
    1/2 cup oat bran
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 to 2/3 cup (packed) brown sugar
    1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
    1-1/2 cups plain or vanilla yogurt
    1/4 cup canola oil
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    Preparation:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (325 degrees F for a glass pan). Lightly spray a 9- by 13- inch baking pan and a baking tray with nonstick spray.

Mix together the protein powder, flour, oats, oat bran, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Crumble in the brown sugar, rubbing it with your fingers to break up any clumps. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Measure the yogurt, oil, and vanilla into a second bowl, stirring until well combined. Add the wet mixture to the dry, and mix patiently until thoroughly blended. (You may have to use your hands -- it will be a thick batter, verging on a dough.)

Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan, patting it evenly into place with your hands. Bake in the center of the oven for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and cut into bars of any size or shape. Place the bars on the prepared baking tray and bake for another 15 minutes, or until golden around the edges. (For extra-crunchy bars, turn off the oven and leave them in there for up to 45 minutes longer.) Remove the bars from the oven, and place them on a rack to cool.

Eat the bars within a few hours, or seal them in a heavy zip-style plastic bag and store in the freezer. For maximum crispness, "refresh" them in a toaster oven after defrosting.

Yield: About 20 medium-sized bars

Variations:
    Protein Boosters
    You can make the main recipe with any combination of the following adjustments:

• Replace the canola oil with 1/2 cup peanut butter or almond butter (softened in a microwave).
    • Replace the flour with quinoa, ground to a powder in a blender or an electric spice grinder.
    • Replace the yogurt with mashed silken tofu (soft or firm). Add an extra pinch of salt.
    • Add 2 to 3 tablespoons powdered egg whites.
    • Add up to 1 cup chopped nuts and/or sunflower seeds.

Cook's Notes:
    These homemade bars are very economical, and you get to select all the ingredients according to your own standards, needs, and taste. For nondairy bars, replace the yogurt with unsweetened applesauce, canned pumpkin, or mashed banana. (Or try the silken tofu option in the Protein Boosters box.) Add an extra pinch of salt if using pumpkin or silken tofu. The range of sugar allows you to make these bars sweeter or not, according to your taste.

Recipe Source: Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen (Hyperion)
    Reprinted with permission.
  • VastBreak
    Thanks for the vanilla tip!

Going to try a couple batches tomorrow!

Hoping these can work as a sandwich substitute for school lunch and also hoping to bridge the gap for older kids between after school- sports practice!
  • VastBreak
    print save
    homemade protein bars
    Prep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 30 minutesTotal Time: 40 minutes
    ingredients:
    *3 cups organic raw oats
    *1/2 cup whole sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, or hemp seeds
    *1/2 cup unsweetened organic shredded coconut (I prefer this one)
    *1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    *1 teaspoon Himalayan salt or sea salt
    *1/4 cup organic brown sugar
    *1 cup Greek yogurt, preferably organic (I use plain; vanilla would make the bars a little sweeter)
    *1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or honey, preferably local/raw
    *1 cup organic peanut butter (or use almond butter or the nut/seed butter of your choice)
    *1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
    *1/4 cup organic coconut oil, liquified if solid (coconut oil will be solid at room temperature in cooler weather...this one's my favorite)
    *1/2 cup chopped organic dark chocolate or chocolate chips (70% dark (or more) is the healthiest; use fair-trade chocolate, possible)
    *1/2 cup chopped seeds or nuts or a combination ex. sunflower, pumpkin, or sesame seeds or almonds, walnuts or pecans (or use additional peanut or other nut butter)
    *1/2 cup chopped dates, raisins, figs or other dried fruit--optional (if you want the bars sweeter but you don't want to add more sweetener; I don't typically add these)
    *up to 1 cup vanilla or chocolate whey protein powder--optional (go with 1 cup if you want the bars to have significant protein content; use 1/2 cup or omit if you dislike the taste or the idea of protein powders; I am not a big protein powder fan, but Garden of Life Raw Protein is the one I like for this purpose

directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with a little coconut oil or organic butter.

2. Combine dry ingredients (oats through brown sugar) in a large bowl.

3. In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients (Greek yogurt through coconut oil).

4. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until thoroughly combined, and then mix in the chocolate.

5. Taste a little of the homemade protein bar mixture. Is it tasty? You can add more peanut butter or the optional nuts at this point if you like. Is it sweet enough? If not, you can add some additional sweetener or some of the optional dried fruit. Now is also the time to add in the protein powder if you are going to use it. Mix well using very clean hands (warning--it will be sticky!)

6. Spread the mixture into your prepared dish and bake for 15 minutes. Take the pan out of the oven, let them cool a little, and then slice the bars as you desire. Your homemade protein bars can be sliced into squares, or into the more typical bar shape you would purchase, if you prefer. Spread the bars out onto a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes more. Allow to cool, and then wrap and store in the refrigerator.
  • pastabelly
    pastabelly Posts: 50 Member
    Saving for later :)
  • bump for ideas
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    I LOVE the chocolate protein bar from the blog muffintopless. Tastes like a brownie when chilled, really! I think kids would love them. Casein protein is a must though, for the right consistency
  • ironchick84
    ironchick84 Posts: 27 Member
    Bumping!
  • marla_jones
    marla_jones Posts: 45 Member
    bump
  • SMFRN
    SMFRN Posts: 108 Member
    Bump
  • Jamesbrandy
    Jamesbrandy Posts: 1 Member
    I will grind the avocado for my drink with a spice grinder, which is a healthy juice for keep fit.