2014 Goals - First Quarter and beyond

Replies

• tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    First quarter goals:
    1) Join a gym that has proper strength training equipment and begin a lifting program
    2) Cut 3 minutes off my half marathon PR (which would put me under 2 hours) when I run my last one (for a while) in March
    3) Eat real, normal-person meals instead of haphazardly snacking on things (i.e., no more eating turkey meat and chocolate chips out of the bag and calling it “dinner”)
    4) See a doctor and get started on a plan to improve my skin :)

2014 long-term goals:
    1) Transition from focusing solely on distance running to spending more time on strength training
    2) Do a pull-up!
    3) Reduce lower back pain and spine issues (too young for this!)
    4) Become hot(ter) :) --partially through fitness, partially through taking better care of myself in general (i.e., no more becoming a hairy beast through the winter)
    5) Exercise consistently for the year (3+ times a week) instead of only during race training periods
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    1st Quarter:

1 - Follow the meltdown nutrition program being prescribed to me at my gym (12 weeks long, starts Saturday)
    2 - Finish half marathon (February)
    3 - Stick to workouts- 3 days run or bike, 3 days CrossFit each week
    4 - Rx my first CrossFit WOD
    5 - Do at least one damned strict pull up! (very necessary to meet goal #4 above)

This year:

1 - Survive the Run For Your Lives Zombie Obstacle Course (Got infected last year)
    2 - Run the Soldier Marathon (November)
    3 - Like what I see in the mirror (no matter what the scale says)
    4 - Compete in my first local CrossFit competition
  • junlex123
    junlex123 Posts: 81 Member
    1st quarter:

Diet

Cut to 66kg @ -0.75kg/week (should take 8 weeks).
    Maintain for two weeks before starting slow bulk.

Climbing

Learn to lead climb
    Top rope some 6b routes (currently only completed 6a+)
    Complete a few V4 boulder problems

Lifting

Squat 5 reps @ 85kg (after fixing pesky knee issue)
    DL 5 reps @ 105kg
    Bench 5 reps @ 60kg
    Pendlay row 5 reps @ 55kg
    Strict press 5 reps @ 42.5kg

End of year:

Diet

Get into and then stay in the 10-16% bodyfat range while cycling cuts and bulks

Climbing

Lead climb 6b
    Top rope 7a
    Complete a few V5 boulder problems
    1 arm pull up
    Start using campus board

Lifting

Squat 5 reps @ 115kg
    DL 5 reps @ 140kg
    Bench 5 reps @ 85kg
    Pendlay row 5 reps @ 65kg
    Strict press 5 reps @ 50kg
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    1st QTR

Continue speed of weight loss and loss of body fat..........it's working pretty well
    Swim 1 mile backstroke in under an hour.............I'm close but not there yet
    Try a spin class (maybe)
    Try not to fall off the yoga ball and embarrass myself again
    Eat more protein and less carbs

Rest of year

Reach goal and body fat percentage (hopefully by July 1)
    Intensify strength training to tone up
    Add freestyle into my swimming circuit
    Eat more protein and less carbs
  • mbrou28
    mbrou28 Posts: 132 Member
    Lose my fear of feeling stupid when learning to lift and quite being intimidated by it - I'm just starting the 5x5 Stronglift program and reading SS.
    Gain Strength by doing #1 above.
    Feel good about my body inside and out.

- Your first goal is pretty much my goal for the first quarter of the year. I just finished reading Starting Strength and I'm going to be studying some videos before I start a lifting program.

- I need to be more consistent with tracking - even when I am eating homemade food and have to guess/estimate.

- By starting a strength training program and being a consistent tracker I hope to lose quite a bit of body fat and get to a healthy weight.

I want to be a strong more confident woman!
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    1st quarter goals:
    1. Lose 8 pounds by being consistent with my deficit
    2. Add one Yin Yoga session per week at home, or attend a class
    3. Continue lifting, following the All Pro program, and not whine when it's hard
    4. Hike once a week
    5. Meditate at least 5 minutes a day

2nd quarter goals:
    1. Lose 6 pounds to achieve goal weight
    2. Buy grown up stuff for lifting like a bar that weighs more than 12 pounds

3rd quarter goals:
    1. Assess goal weight, decide if I want to lose more
    2. Buy a new swimsuit, possibly a 2 piece, and wear it confidently
    3. Learn to surf (wait - did I just type that?)

Year End:
    1. Have a bone density scan and compare to the last one in 2011 which showed more thinning than what is normal for my age
  • faely
    faely Posts: 144 Member
    Some short term, some long term

- Get back on track with logging now that I'm not on bed rest anymore
    - Find an activity that I enjoy so that I can be more active
    - Figure out how to gain strength better since I cannot afford to buy weights or go to a gym and I know this is key to getting fit
    - figure out why i can't just get up off my *kitten* and do something that burns calories. I'm not lazy, I just find other things I'd rather do :ohwell:
    - do a pic comparison because I don't feel like I've accomplished much even though the #'s say otherwise
    - recognize that i've lost 60lbs already and that IS a great achievement, and then keep throwing that in my face when i get discouraged (which is often)
    - get closer every week to my goal
    - keep drinking water and work on skin elasticity cuz the flab is already bringing me down :sad:
    - be happy with who I am
    - be consistent and finish what i've started, like the 30ds, and everything else i've begun but didn't stick with. dig deeper into WHY i don't stick with them
  • mgorham13
    mgorham13 Posts: 168 Member
    2014 I will:

Reach 18% body fat currently 34%

Run a 5k
    Run a 10k
    Do a warrior dash

Dead lift 400
    Squat 325
    Bench 245
    Overhead press 175

Log more
    Learn more
    Share more
  • ukulelist
    ukulelist Posts: 33 Member
    In 2014 I will:
    1. Stop injuring myself so dang much.
    2. Get more sleep.
    3. Finally do a pull up! This is gonna be the year!
    4. Be able to run a half marathon by Q2. But see #1.
    5. Do a century bike ride again, but train for it this time and don't injure myself for once. (See #1)
    6. Double the weight on all my favorite lifts. Because what the hell, aim for the sky.
    7. Bike to work at least half the time.
    8. But seriously, fewer injuries. And more foam rolling and icing. Yawn :-/
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    I've thought about this and revised it a few times.

Goals for 2014:

1) Compete in a powerlifting event.

2) Increase the big three lifts as follows:

Bench Press

Current Max: 270 with butt down. 285 with butt leaving the bench.

I will clear a legit 300lb bench by end of year.
    Secondary goal: 225x10

Squat

Current Max: 410

I will clear 450 for a single.
    Secondary goal: 405x5

Deadlift

Current Max: 415.

I will pull 500lbs this year.
    Secondary goal: Who cares. I just want 5 bills.

I was originally going to set my DL goal lower thinking that this wasn't realistic. I remain hopeful though -- I swapped to semi-sumo about two weeks ago and it felt incredible. If I can remain healthy and not have any outstanding injuries this year, I think I'm actually going to do it. Hopefully 455 happens sometime this spring/summer.

Physique goals: I'd like to gain some muscle but at this point I'll take what comes along as a side benefit to the above performance based goals.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    SideSteel's real goals....stay ahead of Sara's deadlifts!
  • selinafzr
    selinafzr Posts: 19 Member
    My Q1 2014 targets -
    1. Stop being a ***** and start using the 'big boys' area of the gym more, rather than the matts in the corner with the restricted set of equipment.
    2. Stop being a ***** and use the pull up machine. Even though it is really high up and I'm scared of heights and looking foolish.
    3. Stop being a ***** and finally shed those last 4lbs or so I've been chasing for months, so I can put my mental energy into progression.

Hmmm think there's a theme here, if only i could spot it :blushing:

EDIT: Who would have thought that word starting with P and ending with Y woiuld be starred out? Not I. I'd use the term 'wuss' instead but not sure how that travels over the pond.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    1. "Successful" bulk. Slow steady gains without ballooning up. First bulk.
    2. 315 squat by May 1. No 1RM attempt in a while and trying to transition from high to low bar. 255 x 7 yesterday.
    3. 400 dead lift by June 1. Once again, no 1RM attempt in a while. Pulled 365 3 months ago. Took SideSteel's advice, backed off weight and focused on form correction. 315 x 6 last week
    4. 300 bench.
    5. BW(172) OHP. 1RM 155. 125 x 8 last week.
  • Sarauk2sf
    First quarter goals:

1) Get back down to sub 150lb - this will mean getting back to tracking properly as I got lax over the holidays.
    2) Compete in a USAPL meet (possibly one in February)
    3) Do assistance work (especially the pulling and glute and single leg work) and stick to the program
    4) Be more consistent at hitting depth in my squats
    4) Specific lifting goals:
    - Squat: 255lb x 5 (all to good depth)
    - Bench: 140lb x 5
    - Deadlift: 285lb x 5

I am also stealing the 'sleep' one from @davert - I have shitty sleep patterns that impact my results.

Just realized that I got one of my goals (actually beat it) by getting 295lb x 5 for deads, so I am going to add a new goal of 305lb x 3. Really near on bench as I got 140lb x 4, so still working on getting that last rep.

Signed up for the meet n February - flights and hotel booked, so that one is look on the cards.

Still crap at doing assistance work and getting enough sleep so really need to work on that still.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Finish C25K (starting week 3 today!) Just did the dreaded week 5 20 minute run. Didn't think I would be able to--so proud!

Start (and finish!) Body by You (already downloaded onto my phone) FINALLY did the first day on Saturday and liked it.

Continue to progress in horseback riding until I am actually jumping 2'+ fences (just jumped crossrails last week for the first time). Just did flying lead changes for the first time! And I am jumping crossrails every lesson now. I think this might actually happen.

Compete at a horse show this summer. Maybe. :wink: Changing this to definitely!!

Continue weight (fat) loss--want the 5 lbs gained over Xmas/NYE off by the end of the month, so that I am back in the overweight category rather than the obese. Eventually I will get to the elusive normal category. :happy: Not only did all of the holiday weight come off, but I am down 3 more pounds this month!!

Get the courage to have a bod pod done so I know what my body fat percentage is--the formulas are giving me widely divergent numbers. Repeat the bod pod 6 months later to track progress :blushing: Gonna put this off for a little bit. Haven't been able to find one near me.

Walk/run/bike 50 miles in January (met my goal of 30 miles for December!) Don't think I am gonna make 50, but still shooting to hit 40 (weather and schedule not cooperating). Currently at 36 miles! May set smaller goals of 45 miles for February, and try again for 50 miles in March.

Way to go, Sara, already knocking them out!!! Thanks again for this thread.

[edited b/c I finally figured out how to bold stuff]
  • Sarauk2sf
    Finish C25K (starting week 3 today!) Just did the dreaded week 5 20 minute run. Didn't think I would be able to--so proud!

Start (and finish!) Body by You (already downloaded onto my phone) FINALLY did the first day on Saturday and liked it.

Continue to progress in horseback riding until I am actually jumping 2'+ fences (just jumped crossrails last week for the first time). Just did flying lead changes for the first time! And I am jumping crossrails every lesson now. I think this might actually happen.

Compete at a horse show this summer. Maybe. :wink: Changing this to definitely!!

Continue weight (fat) loss--want the 5 lbs gained over Xmas/NYE off by the end of the month, so that I am back in the overweight category rather than the obese. Eventually I will get to the elusive normal category. :happy: Not only did all of the holiday weight come off, but I am down 3 more pounds this month!!

Get the courage to have a bod pod done so I know what my body fat percentage is--the formulas are giving me widely divergent numbers. Repeat the bod pod 6 months later to track progress :blushing: Gonna put this off for a little bit. Haven't been able to find one near me.

Walk/run/bike 50 miles in January (met my goal of 30 miles for December!) Don't think I am gonna make 50, but still shooting to hit 40 (weather and schedule not cooperating). Currently at 36 miles! May set smaller goals of 45 miles for February, and try again for 50 miles in March.

Way to go, Sara, already knocking them out!!! Thanks again for this thread.

[edited b/c I finally figured out how to bold stuff]

I love the riding goals. It is great to have something you love that also helps towards other goals. I used to ride when I was young and loved it. I wish it were more accessible now - but I never could get used to Western style riding and there are not many places that do European style where I live.

I would suggest getting a hydrostatic test done if available near you as they are more accurate than Bod Pods. Well done on the loss this month.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    1st Quarter

--1 full pullup from full hang (I am SOOOO close!)
    --1RM - 115lb bench
    --Not die when doing boxing drills for 10 minutes

2014 goals

--5 full pullups
    --1RM - 150lb bench?
    --Not die when doing boxing drills for 30 minutes
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Overall goals:
    Get a better handle on logging and manipulating my macros. Buy a food scale (I know, I know, should have done it years ago)
    STRENGTH GAINS
    Compete in my first powerlifting competition - see if it's something I want to continue
    Slim down some body fat % so I can hopefully see more of my hard work in the mirror
    Acheive the above goals and not have them take over the rest of my life.

Jan-March/April
    (I say March because it's when I possibly have a power lifting competition and that's something I'm working towards. Also my birthday is in march and I always use that as my own personal re-evaluation time.)
    -Do my first power lifting meet.
    -Be benching at least 100 by the competition (benching 90x4PR right now)
    -Increase squat and deadlift weight before competition (squat is 165 - would LOVE to get to 185 but not sure how realistic that is. Deadlift is 135, which is a goal I just hit and have been working towards for a while, so I'm not sure how much I can add on to that in the next couple months but I'm going to work on upping it as well)
    - Lose some body fat if possible. This is a secondary goal to increasing my strength for the competition. I had let my eating go under the name of "bulking" in the fall and I'm tired of looking at the extra chub. I'm just working on cleaning up my eating and eating enough protein at a small deficit.
    -Exercise more than 2-3times a week, and encorporate more cardio. I love lifting and will always choose that over cardio, but I need to amp that up more if I'm going to lose any bf%. Again this is still secondary to my strength gains though.

April/May-August
    It's easier for me to eat well in the summer - I don't mind eating good salads and wraps for lunch. In the northeast unfortunately winter just makes me want hot food and carbs all day every day. SO I plan to try to cut in earnest, but maintain my strength. I'm not good with sudden changes so thats why I'm trying to start cleaning up my diet in the first quarter. I'm at 131 now, and I would really like to cut to 120-125 by the end of the summer.

September - December
    Provided I actually meet previous goals and am comfortable with being able to manipulate my weight, I'll try bulking again, but try not to eat all the things this time. I see these powerlifters with mad awesome weight capabilities and I would love to work towards that. Would be THRILLED to be squatting 2 big plates by the end of the year instead of one, or one and a half.
  • ironchick84
    ironchick84 Posts: 27 Member
    Goals coming soon!
  • Sarauk2sf
    As its getting close to the end of the quarter, I thought I would bump this to remind me to post an update tomorrow.