Dress Size does not = weight?

emikarls
emikarls Posts: 1,058 Member
So, last night I was informed by a few co-workers that I am "not normal" because we were talking about weight loss and dress sizes. I said I went from a size 20 at 235 lbs to a 14 at 200 lbs. The last time I was in a size 10, I was 180lbs. I actually pulled my tag from my pants to show them that they were a size 14 and I weighed in at 200lbs that morning. I am only 5 foot 2 which makes it even more weird. Is anyone else like this?
Random ? I know....but humor me

Replies

• emikarls
    So, last night I was informed by a few co-workers that I am "not normal" because we were talking about weight loss and dress sizes. I said I went from a size 20 at 235 lbs to a 14 at 200 lbs. The last time I was in a size 10, I was 180lbs. I actually pulled my tag from my pants to show them that they were a size 14 and I weighed in at 200lbs that morning. I am only 5 foot 2 which makes it even more weird. Is anyone else like this?
    Random ? I know....but humor me
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    I am size 14 now and between 195-200lbs. I was size 18 at 220lbs.. I am 5'4''
  • amandat_79
    amandat_79 Posts: 221 Member
    I'm not exactly sure why she said you were "not normal" but I can tell you I was 231lbs and a size 20/22. I'm now 199lbs and a size 16. The girl I'm losing weight with weighs the same as me but is in a size 12. The weight you are has nothing to do with sizing - everyone is built differently and therefore carry their weight in different places. I hope that's what you were looking for :smile:
  • emikarls
    PLEASE do not think I am bragging either! I have no room to brag, yet ;).
    I have a looooong way to go before I look good in a 14, and I have 50 more lbs to lose. I just was curious if anyone is like me.....
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    My mother always told me that I carried my weight well. I have a very muscular build even though I am small framed. I am 5 foot 3 and still considered overweight by bmi calculations, but I fit comfortably in a size 8 and I weigh 152. I fit into some size sixes.

114- 124 is the recommended weight for my frame. I would look like a walking skeleton at that weight.

You are not abnormal. It is just the way your body is.
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    PLEASE do not think I am bragging either! I have no room to brag, yet ;).
    I have a looooong way to go before I look good in a 14, and I have 50 more lbs to lose. I just was curious if anyone is like me.....

Hey thats the same as me as well! I still have 50lbs to loose haha but I started at 220lbs
  • emikarls
    Thanks ladies!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    I am 5'5 and I was a size 14 to 16 at 165 pounds.
    I am now 155 and I am in a size 12-10 depending on the brand.
    This is for pants though because I don't really wear dresses.
    I think it does depend on the person. I have lost a lot of the fat around the middle but I am really curvy and have somewhat wide hips. Therefore, I have come to not rely too much on the "size" my hips and bust will always put me in a higher size.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    yes....

when I was about to be pregnant with rion I was a size 9/10 at 141
    Now I am 144 at a size anywhere from a 11-13 odd huh....

:huh:
  • emikarls
    Since you ladies have been so nice to let me know that I am in fact NORMAL :wink:
    I have another random question....
    I have an old school type scale, not a digital one. My digital one died, so I bought one that just has the little dial. Well, When I stand on it with my feet straight it says 200 (my feet cover a part of the dial), when I stand in 1st postion (like in ballet) to look at the dial it says 190 and stays there. It goes down 10 lbs! My whole weight is still on the scale, but my feet are just in a different position. I would LOVE to believe 190, because I want to be out of the 200's. But I am saying 200.....

I am not this random of a person, but this is just not something I like talking about with people. Thanks!!!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Years ago I had a colleage who the most gorgeous size 14 I have ever seen! Her figure was smoother and curvier than mine when I was a size 6. To me, size and weight doesn't necessarily equal beauty. I would STILL trade with her to have that perfect shape, regardless of how small or large!

Remember also that size varies greatly from designer to designer / store to store, so you might not be "speaking the same language" in terms of a baseline...

In juniors, I can wear as large as a 10 (e.g. Forever 21 pant) becuase of my ample thighs :blushing: and in a more mature make such as Jones New York, I have a dress that is a size 4. Gap is usually a 6, but sometimes an 8 in jeans (again those darn thighs...). My bikini bottoms are always a size 10 or "large" so that I have good coverage!

I used to work in the fashion industry, and the general quideline was 100 lbs = a size '0', and you increase each size (even numbers) with 10lbs (e.g. size 2 = 110, size 4 = 120, size 6 = 130, and so on, and then the at size 14 the increments change by 20lbs instead of 10lbs).

To heck with the numbers, and wear what looks good! :flowerforyou:
    My size 4's hang along side my size 10's and they all get along!
  • AJCM
    Since you ladies have been so nice to let me know that I am in fact NORMAL :wink:
    I have another random question....
    I have an old school type scale, not a digital one. My digital one died, so I bought one that just has the little dial. Well, When I stand on it with my feet straight it says 200 (my feet cover a part of the dial), when I stand in 1st postion (like in ballet) to look at the dial it says 190 and stays there. It goes down 10 lbs! My whole weight is still on the scale, but my feet are just in a different position. I would LOVE to believe 190, because I want to be out of the 200's. But I am saying 200.....

I am not this random of a person, but this is just not something I like talking about with people. Thanks!!!

You might want to invest in a new scale, only because the calibration goes "off" so easily. Then you would have the scale for the duration of your weight loss journey. This will take away the guess work (and you know what - often "old" scales read heavier) - I bet you ARE 190!!!
    Good luck!
    :flowerforyou:
  • The size of a person clothes is not really based on their weight. It is based on shape (bone structure) and height, as you can see from the others posts. We all have different shapes and different heights, plus we all hold our weight in different areas. Not to mention, is our weight from fat or muscle.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    No one ever suspected I was 174 lbs because I didn't 'look' it. And even though I've only lost 8 lbs in 9 weeks, I look smaller and I'm fitting into size 12's.

Go figure.:heart:
  • AJCM
    Not to further "celebrate" celebrities, but I use them as we probably all know who they are...

Jennifer Lopez, Julia Roberts, and Nicole Kidman are apparently ALL size 6... :noway:

Quite a variance in shape, curviness, size, and height...
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    I used to work in the fashion industry, and the general quideline was 100 lbs = a size '0', and you increase each size (even numbers) with 10lbs (e.g. size 2 = 110, size 4 = 120, size 6 = 130, and so on, and then the at size 14 the increments change by 20lbs instead of 10lbs).
    Wow! How cool to know!!
  • AJCM
    Wow! How cool to know!!

I thought so too! :flowerforyou: But, again, it's only a "guideline" and doesn't pertain to everyone or take different body shapes into account (I don't want to get in trouble on here...) :tongue: But truly, if a size '0' is 100 lbs, can it really ever get smaller than that? Honestly!!!:noway:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Not to further "celebrate" celebrities, but I use them as we probably all know who they are...

Jennifer Lopez, Julia Roberts, and Nicole Kidman are apparently ALL size 6... :noway:

Quite a variance in shape, curviness, size, and height...

I would have never guessed that they were all in the same size. Hmmm, interesting.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Funny story:

I went to Banana Republic with a friend and for the first time in years and years the clothes fit me. :smile:

I was so excited...but when I tried on a size 14 (which was my normal size at the time) it was HUGE. :bigsmile: My freind brought me a 12 and to be funny (thanks a lot) also brought a 10. Well the 10 fit.

I bought 6 pairs of pants that I HATED because they said size 10!!!

Isnt that the stupidest thing you have ever heard?

Anyone wanna buy 6 pairs of pants? :flowerforyou: I will sell them to you cheap.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    also my friend who is in great physical condition, but has 'thigh issues' can wear a size 2 at 135 lbs. Of course she is solid muscle. SO weight has a lot to do with your muscle, and you will be a smaller size if you are more muscle than....well you know...hate to say the f word.....