Taking up running; any other running newbies?

2»

Replies

• Cloudfish
    Cloudfish Posts: 30 Member
    Thanks so much for the lovely responses!

I did try couch to 5k back in the day, but didn’t get very far. For some reason, this one has stuck; I think it’s cos I’ve literally just forced myself to go out and do it everyday. ‘Just Do It!’ is my motto, and it’s actually working. I’m even about to go out for a run in the pouring rain, which I would NEVER have done before!

I’m really interested in all the people who have taken to running; so many people seem to love it, and I’m kinda starting to see why. I LOVE it once I’m done, I get back and I’m buzzing, it’s just going out in the first place I still struggle with. I still have to make myself go, even though I know I’ll be so happy afterwards, and I’m hoping this will change soon!
  • Pretty much been running for just over a year, lost a little weight but it helps maintain current level. Anyone can add me if they want to :)
  • I've seen a lot of people talking about Couch to 5k. Do you think that is doable with 2 kids in a jogging stroller? I had a baby 4 months ago and am looking to start jogging again and wonder if the pace would be slow enough for me? I am a slow jogger on my own, let alone pushing my 4 month old and 4 year old up hills in the stroller.
  • Cloudfish
    Cloudfish Posts: 30 Member
    I totally reckon you could, especially at the start- they specifically tell you to keep it to a light stroll, and there is a lot of walking. It's free, so you've nothing to lose by trying the first one!
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    I'm a slow runner :)
    I used to be able to do 10min miles. Not anymore. HOWEVER, hubby and I recently started training for a marathon and it's been a great experience. We got up to 18 miles and then got hit with the flu, bronchitis, and a stomach bug, so we had to throttle back and do a half marathon - which will be in March. Lookin forward to it, though ;)

Two good helpers:
    Book for marathon training

http://www.amazon.com/Non-Runners-Marathon-Trainer-David-Whitsett/dp/1570281823

Website for half marathon training

http://www.marathonrookie.com/half-marathon-training.html

Witcha if you wanna run together ;)
  • Flixi1403
    Flixi1403 Posts: 5 Member
    I recently started training for a half marathon in May.
  • Yep, I run a bit so anyone can add me! Currently marathon training :)
  • Me! I'm using the Run Your Butt Off method, and I'm on week 2, which is a cycle of 4 minutes walking, 1 minute walking. I'm looking forward to entering my first race in the early summer. I'm going to try the Poke Salat 5k in Arab, Alabama!