I am sooo sore.help

I had a really good workout two days in a row, 30 min of cardio and 30 min of weight training and I am sooo sore, it hurts to sit down on the toilet! ( as im my legs are so sore it hurts to sit)I read I should take it easy tonight and not go to the gym since my muscles need to heal, but I feel like I should do something?? What would u do?

Replies

• amandastamey
    amandastamey Posts: 67 Member
    I had a really good workout two days in a row, 30 min of cardio and 30 min of weight training and I am sooo sore, it hurts to sit down on the toilet! ( as im my legs are so sore it hurts to sit)I read I should take it easy tonight and not go to the gym since my muscles need to heal, but I feel like I should do something?? What would u do?
  • Make sure that you stretch really well. If anything walk or do the eliptical at the gym. You may want to do some abs as well.
  • I know what you mean. I had my first meeting with my Personal Trainer. I think it was trying to kill me. I am sore im my thighs and arms. I can barley move. He told me the more I moved around the better I would be.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Great job! I know how you feel. After leg day, I can't sit, walk up stairs, or bend down to pick things up for a day or two, I'm like a 150 year old woman! And I have been lifting for two years haha :tongue: That's called DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness), and is caused by microtears in your muscle. There's not a lot you can do for it, but it will subside once you're used to your routine. However, once you're used to it, you have to change it, so you'll always have phases of soreness. After a while you'll grow to enjoy it. As long as you're taking in plenty of protein (especially in your after-workout meal), your muscles will have plenty of 'building material' with which to repair themselves. You can take a painkiller in the meantime. As far as movement, yes it will help. Rest is very important too, but light cardio is a form of 'active rest' that doesn't break down muscle tissue like lifting, so there's no danger in it.
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    I heard a while back that if you work out for three days it will get rid of soreness, but I figure at the end of three days you will be getting over the initial soreness anyway. Maybe if you can bear to do any kind of exercise it might help loosen you up.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    I'm a firm believer in good old fashioned epsom salts baths.

Don't be stingy with the epsom salt, and soak for at least 20 minutes in hot water.

Also, make sure you're drinking a lot of extra water.

:flowerforyou:
  • you probably did squats when you did your weight training.. often times ppl do too much the first time out..One thing that not enough ppl do is "fitness" training and focus on weights too much.

next two work outs do your same weight training with no or very little weight and really go slow through the movements and deep into them. You need to get blood in there to get the lactic acid out and get nutrients to the muscle fibers damaged. The worst thing you can do is not work out because your too sore and/or afraid to be that sore after your next work out. Rest and eat protein.. this is not about being thin it's about being healthy and strong...with that weight goes.
    Hang tough.

JD
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    I'm a firm believer in good old fashioned epsom salts baths.

Don't be stingy with the epsom salt, and soak for at least 20 minutes in hot water.

Also, make sure you're drinking a lot of extra water.

:flowerforyou:

My bf's mom recommended that....I take her word for things, she's a pharmacist and really into holistic cures. Do you rinse off after the bath or just dry off like normal? I might invest in some.
  • icus1969
    icus1969 Posts: 17 Member
    When I as doing my personal training my trainer told me only do weights every other day with a 24 hr rest period in between this way you wont bulk up and it gives your muscles a chance to repair. also make sure you stretch afterwards this helps alleviate some of the pain and again prevents you from bulking up. so your best bet would be to do cardio or yoga in between your weight days. I found I was
    in worse pain the 3rd day instead of the second day and keeping active helped

Brenda:bigsmile:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    re: epsom salts

I usually don't rinse off after, but they can be drying.

Also, you tend to sweat like crazy in the tub. . . so a shower might help.

They really do work (I know from soft tissue pain, trust me):wink:

Some people think they can "draw out toxins" but all I know is they help with sore muscles and joints big time!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Soreness is good. I know that sounds bad, but it is really good. It will get better. I remember the first time I did lunges, I wanted to cry the next morning. Let me tell you, every time I went to the bathroom, I wished I was a guy. I take some ibuprofen before I do a big workout. Lots of fluid too. Have you ever worked out and not felt a thing the next day (weights)? My husband said that that means you didn't workout properly or to your full potential.
    Give it time, and it will get easier.
  • amandastamey
    amandastamey Posts: 67 Member
    Thanks so much I am going to do my yoga stretches tonight and I will get back on it. I really appreciate your encouragement! I wanna be strong and tough! NO SISSIES HERE!! LOL:blushing:
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    I LITTLE soreness is good.....means you actually made some progress, but a LOT of soreness means you waaaay overdid it. Pain is the body's way of telling you there is something wrong! Back off on the intensity a bit and work your way back up gradually. In the meantime, an anti-inflammatory (like Aleve, Motrin, or Advil) will help.