Lentils; it's whats for dinner!

Cokebear83
Cokebear83 Posts: 13 Member
I work with a bunch of Doctors and one of the doctors that I work with eats a ton of lentils; this doctor also eats very clean high protein and a strength circuit training. So with that being said I am on a mission to incorporate more lentils into my diet. I have sauteed onions and made Brown rice with Lentils and placed some onions in the lentils and some on top. I also took Chicken breast flavored with Taco seasoning and Brown rice with Lentils and layered and put shredded cheese on top. Today I have take Lentils boiled them with beef broth and browned some hamburger and poured some brown gravy over top High in sodium and some what high in fat, but loaded with protein none the less! Any more Ideas for Lentils would be GREAT!

Replies

• airdiva1
    airdiva1 Posts: 198 Member
    It might seems basic,but I place the rind of parmesan and alot of garlic in my pot of lentils. The remaining parmesan gives it flavor and the garlic gets all soft,chewy with flavor!
    I also like to use only a small portion of smoked Turkey when cooking it. But if you do this, don't add salt! The season smoked Turkey has enough.
    In fact, I cooked a large pot of Lentils this afternoon. When it cools, I scoop 1 cup amounts into freezer bags. This makes quick and easy meals at home and on the go.
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Check out America's test kitchen - for the best and easiest lentil salad and way to cook lentils (in the oven). Terrific!!:blushing: :blushing:
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    I make lentil soup in my slow cooker

lentils
    water
    cracked black pepper
    miso paste to taste
    chunk of ginger peeled
    small onion chopped

cook it all on low for 6 hours or so and blend with a hand blender when done.

you can add whatever else you want but that is the basic recipe
  • vamred
    vamred Posts: 13 Member
    Well traditional indian way, the way we cook is
    For one cup of lentils, add 2 cups of water + (tomatoes or spinach) + onions + salt + red chill pepper + little turmeric
    and pressure cook for 20-25 mins and switch it off.

After that take a little oil and heat it up in a small pan and add sesame seeds and fennel seeds and dried red chili. Once they start sputtering, pour this into the pressure cooker and mix it.

Tastes good.
  • jenn2375
    jenn2375 Posts: 101 Member
    Google biggest loser bbq'd lentils......they are delish.....love lentils!
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Once you like lentils, look into other legumes.

Dried beans are CHEAP for what you get in protein and fiber, and translate really well to lazy cooks..
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    I :heart: lentils and they have so much fiber and protein!! My favorite way to eat them is in a dal dish or soup, but the bbq lentils sounds pretty darn good too.
  • hatterasclayer
    hatterasclayer Posts: 10 Member
    Lentil Loaf-it's a vegetarian version of meatloaf

2 cups water
    1 cup grey-green or brown lentils
    2 Tbs ground flaxseeds + 4 Tbs water
    1 medium yellow onion, diced
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 cup instant or regular rolled oats
    1 cup tomato sauce
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon dried parsley
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 cup BBQ sauce
    2 Tbs ketchup

Bring water to a boil. Add lentils and simmer 25 – 30 minutes, until lentils are soft and water is evaporated. Drain any excess water and partially mash lentils. Scrape into mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly.

Mix the flaxseeds and water together and let sit for about 15 minutes. (This will allow it to become sticky and will be a better binder for the loaf.)

Saute the onion in the oil in a pan over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent.

Stir the onion and oats into the lentils until mixed. Add the flax mixture, tomato sauce, garlic, basil, parsley, salt, and pepper. Mix well.

Spoon into loaf pan that has been generously sprayed with non-stick spray. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon. Top with the BBQ sauce and ketchup.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes until the top of the loaf is dry, firm, and golden brown. Let cool in pan for about 10 minutes. Run a sharp knife around the edges of pan then turn out onto a serving platter. Top with additional BBQ sauce or ketchup if needed.

I love it leftover in a sandwich with ketchup!

I haven't done the recipe on MFP yet so I can't tell you the info, but I usually get 8 serings
  • I eat a lovely lentil side dish - have with fish mainly. The recipe came from Jamie Oliver so you can look up the exact quantities. But it is lentils, spinach, mint and lemon. Basically heat the lentils up (drain the water first) add in lemon or lemon juice and tear mint into fine pieces and add in. Let it simmer for quite a while. Then add the spinach and stir in until it is wilted. I then add a few bits in last minute for some more texture. And serve with natural yoghurt. YUMMY!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,601 Member
    I love puy lentils done quite simply. Boil with a whole head of garlic cut in half across all the cloves and a few sprigs of thyme and rosemary. Cook twenty to thirty minutes, so that they stay al dente. Drain, pick out the garlic and herbs. Dress with oil and lemon juice and salt. A little additional thyme and pepper is nice.
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    I love lentils. Lentil salad (lentils with finely diced peppers), mujaddarah (lentils with brown rice and a few onion slivers), or lentil soup or dal (i.e., either a brothy soup or a thicker Indian style). I also enjoy chickpeas (usually with a few chopped veggies) and beans (mostly cooked or in soups). These are the main sources of protein for me.
  • Ozzzy66
    Ozzzy66 Posts: 36 Member
    Y'all make me feel lazy. I just put a little salt in the water when I cook mine. I normally eat mine with brown rice and grilled chicken. I put some on a chicken taco with hot sauce yesterday and it was pretty good.
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    bump. I make shepherdess pie. http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/5397/shepherdess-pie.aspx or a cauliflower and ricotta mash instead of potato on top
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Will have to try them , never had them :noway: Ya'll make them sound good !!!
  • Well traditional indian way, the way we cook is
    For one cup of lentils, add 2 cups of water + (tomatoes or spinach) + onions + salt + red chill pepper + little turmeric
    and pressure cook for 20-25 mins and switch it off.

After that take a little oil and heat it up in a small pan and add sesame seeds and fennel seeds and dried red chili. Once they start sputtering, pour this into the pressure cooker and mix it.

Tastes good.

I'll try this today. Thank you.

My normal lentil recipe is split red lentils, tomato, onion and a little cooking bacon.