BMR Calculations- How can you believe any of them?

Reesy
Reesy Posts: 132 Member
I just spend a couple of minutes calculating my BMR from different sites.

The highest calculations is 2279, the lowest 1731. This site comes in around 1739.

All came from the same information, 36 years, 210 pounds, 5'11", sedentary.

This is such a discrepancy. How can I trust any of it? I'm told if you eat below your BMR, you will lose weight, well which BMR am I to believe? :frown:

Replies

• Reesy
    I just spend a couple of minutes calculating my BMR from different sites.

The highest calculations is 2279, the lowest 1731. This site comes in around 1739.

All came from the same information, 36 years, 210 pounds, 5'11", sedentary.

This is such a discrepancy. How can I trust any of it? I'm told if you eat below your BMR, you will lose weight, well which BMR am I to believe? :frown:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Actually, your BMR is what it would take to keep you alive if you did nothing else but lay in bed and breathe.

The only sure way to know how many calories you burn on a "normal" non-exercise day is to wear a HRM for 24 hours straight.

This site is pretty close--I'd go with what it tells you. BTW, you need to look not at your BMR but at where you set your weight loss goals. You'll see to the left on that page another block that will say how many calories per day to maintain your weight given your activity level.

HOWEVER! The beauty of MFP is you don't have to figure any of this out yourself. MFP did it for you when you selected your goals.
  • Reesy
    I have set my weight loss goals and I have all that information but since this site is not my only source of information. I decided to see what else is out there and a very credible weight loss guru says to eat under your BMR and you should see results and they give a calculation to follow.

I've found that with the small amount of weight I have to lose (and yes 31 pounds is small to me), the nutritionist at my job about eating 1200 calories and she said eating 1200 calories to loose 2lbs per week at my size and height is ridiculous and I happen to agree.
  • shorerider
    I have set my weight loss goals and I have all that information but since this site is not my only source of information. I decided to see what else is out there and a very credible weight loss guru says to eat under your BMR and you should see results and they give a calculation to follow.

I've found that with the small amount of weight I have to lose (and yes 31 pounds is small to me), the nutritionist at my job about eating 1200 calories and she said eating 1200 calories to loose 2lbs per week at my size and height is ridiculous and I happen to agree.

And it is--that's why I said the beauty of MFP is it figures it all out for you. If you don't want a 1200 calorie limit, then set your weight loss for a smaller amount in the goals section and it will up your calories.

When I was trying to figure out why I plateaued, I checked a multitude of sites for my BMR--I got numbers ranging from 730 (yeah, right! :noway: ) to 3700 (yeah, right! :noway: ). MFP set my daily maintenance figure out 2070--given my age and other stuff. I wore a HRM for 12 hours (couldn't do 24 right now) and got very close to that.
  • Reesy
    I will try the heart rate monitor. Been at this losing weight thing for far too long. Feel like it's taking over my life, it's all I think about. Just want to find the right combination of things and just do it. :happy:
  • shorerider
    MFP is a great system! You'll find it works and actually seems too easy. I was so easy to starving on "diets" and now feel like I'm not in any way hungry or lacking for food.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Reesy, hang in there girl. The weight battle has always been an issue for me as well. I am a bit leary of all this computer calculated stuff b/c there is alot is DOES NOT factor in. So I learned the hard way, after much frustration and misery that I know my body better than any computer calculation does.

Start with the number this website gave you and try eating that amount for a week and see what happens. If you lose and feel good (no dizziness, or lightheadedness) then you are on the right track. If you are losing and still really hungry then maybe add some calories and see what happens after a week.

I wish I had listened to my body instead of opinions and computer calculations. I think I would have saved myself a lot of misery. Losing weight can be so rewarding but also so stressful when you are working out all the time and not losing. It makes the battle seem impossible.

I eat around 1500 calories a day, regardless of my exercise. On really heavy exercise days I may eat a bit more than that, but I try to never go over 1800. This is what works for me.

Find a formula that works for you, allows you to NOT be hungry, makes you feel good inside and out, and lets you lose a pound a week. When you find it, you will be able to stick with it.
  • Reesy
    Awesome advice Bamboo. I'm so nervous about finding the right balance thinking I'm going to put on more weight while I'm trying to strike that balance, but it does make sense to use the calculations of this site, gotta start somewhere.

Thanks you guys for having this conversation with me. :happy: