Confessions of a recovering clean eater

Replies

• TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    BUMP.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Yes, I do believe everything is good in moderation. I said that bodybuilders are well suited for that diet because they need the daily macros, not that no one else is suited for it. To each his own, and IIFYM is a great thing, ONLY if it is performed right. I myself am a vegan, and I get my daily macros from fruits and veggies, yes, it's possible. Not everything works for everyone, that is my point, IIFYM works for some, paleo works for a few others, and so does vegan/raw vegan. By the way, i am not a professional nutritionist, i am just a 17 year old guy. :smile:

This site is for 18+
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,871 Member
    Yes, I do believe everything is good in moderation. I said that bodybuilders are well suited for that diet because they need the daily macros, not that no one else is suited for it. To each his own, and IIFYM is a great thing, ONLY if it is performed right. I myself am a vegan, and I get my daily macros from fruits and veggies, yes, it's possible. Not everything works for everyone, that is my point, IIFYM works for some, paleo works for a few others, and so does vegan/raw vegan. By the way, i am not a professional nutritionist, i am just a 17 year old guy. :smile:
    You can be vegan, paleo or any discipline you desire and still practice IIFYM............not all vegan food would be considered clean, so applying IIFYM would assure you as a vegan that your getting proper nutrition.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    I do think that people don't have to eat "clean" all the time, I eat only an abundance of fruits and veggies, and sometimes I can have something other than that on reward day. IIFYM is a great thing for some people, only if they do it right. People have been using IIFYM as an excuse to eat tons of nutritionally deficient foods, and thus, most people are doing IIFYM "wrong", in my opinion, IIFYM is only a stable diet for bodybuilders. Also clean eating doesn't have to be boring, and that's why most people switch to IIFYM. If somebody wants to partake in IIFYM, the right way to do it is by eating a paleolithic diet, not the modern american diet. Don't hate on me, this is just my opinion, and if anyone doesn't accept it, just move on.
    Out of curiosity, do you not hit your macros, since you eat clean? If It Fits Your Macros is a nutritional philosophy, not a specific diet. You can eat any kind of diet you want, as long as you hit your nutritional needs. And if you aren't hitting your nutritional needs, then it isn't "IIFYM."
  • raw_meal
    raw_meal Posts: 96 Member
    for later
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    you don't understand nutrition.

IIFYM... eat whatever you want within a varied diet while meeting your macro- and micro-nutritional needs.

clean eating... ignore your nutritional intake and concentrate on eating from an arbitrarily created list of allowable foods and assume/hope that your nutritional needs are met.

by DEFINITION IIFYM > clean eating from a nutritional point of view. if you do IIFYM correctly, then you are guaranteed to meet your nutritional needs. if you do clean eating correctly, you can only hope to meet your nutritional needs - but you never really know because you are simply trusting that the foods you eat will do that for you without making any effort to verify that to be the case. the minute you make the effort to track and verify that your nutritional needs are being met, you are doing IIFYM.

To be fair, I'd say it's fair to suggest that most people following IIFYM are worried about macronutrients - not their RDA's of micronutrients. So, if you hit your macros (which, aside from the protein macro, can be fairly arbitrarily set), are you guaranteed to "meet your nutritional needs?" No, you aren't.

Now, of course, if you expand it to IIFYM&M to include hitting all of your recommended macronutrients and micronutrients, then sure. But most people in my experience are not following this plan.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member

IIFYM... eat whatever you want within a varied diet while meeting your macro- and micro-nutritional needs.

clean eating... ignore your nutritional intake and concentrate on eating from an arbitrarily created list of allowable foods and assume/hope that your nutritional needs are met.

by DEFINITION IIFYM > clean eating from a nutritional point of view. if you do IIFYM correctly, then you are guaranteed to meet your nutritional needs. if you do clean eating correctly, you can only hope to meet your nutritional needs - but you never really know because you are simply trusting that the foods you eat will do that for you without making any effort to verify that to be the case. the minute you make the effort to track and verify that your nutritional needs are being met, you are doing IIFYM.

To be fair, I'd say it's fair to suggest that most people following IIFYM are worried about macronutrients - not their RDA's of micronutrients. So, if you hit your macros (which, aside from the protein macro, can be fairly arbitrarily set), are you guaranteed to "meet your nutritional needs?" No, you aren't.

Now, of course, if you expand it to IIFYM&M to include hitting all of your recommended macronutrients and micronutrients, then sure. But most people in my experience are not following this plan.
    If you are hitting your macronutrients, it's VERY difficult to NOT hit your micronutrients. Micronutrients are in everything, and the variety of foods you need to eat to actually reach your macronutrients and calorie goal pretty much makes hitting your micronutrients automatic.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member

that's why i included "varied diet" in my description. i think everyone should use a good quality multivitamin as an "insurance policy", but generally speaking, if you're eating a varied diet and also taking a good multivitamin, you are likely meeting your micronutritional needs as well.
  • parkscs
    If you are hitting your macronutrients, it's VERY difficult to NOT hit your micronutrients. Micronutrients are in everything, and the variety of foods you need to eat to actually reach your macronutrients and calorie goal pretty much makes hitting your micronutrients automatic.

I disagree entirely. It's quite easy to hit your macros and it lets you eat a wide variety of foods, while it's incredibly hard to hit your RDA's in your micronutrients each day without supplementing and/or eating very specific foods. While some micronutrients are in everything, that doesn't mean the recommended quantity of micronutrients is in everything you eat to reach your macros. That's like me saying macronutrients are in everything, so just hitting your calories just about guarantees you'll hit your macros. Doesn't make a lot of sense, does it?
    that's why i included "varied diet" in my description. i think everyone should use a good quality multivitamin as an "insurance policy", but generally speaking, if you're eating a varied diet and also taking a good multivitamin, you are likely meeting your micronutritional needs as well.

Agreed.
  • twixlepennie

I disagree entirely. It's quite easy to hit your macros and it lets you eat a wide variety of foods, while it's incredibly hard to hit your RDA's in your micronutrients each day without supplementing and/or eating very specific foods. While some micronutrients are in everything, that doesn't mean the recommended quantity of micronutrients is in everything you eat to reach your macros. That's like me saying macronutrients are in everything, so just hitting your calories just about guarantees you'll hit your macros. Doesn't make a lot of sense, does it?

How are you (general you) tracking micronutirents? It drives me nuts that MFP doesn't give us this option :grumble:
  • parkscs
    How are you (general you) tracking micronutirents? It drives me nuts that MFP doesn't give us this option grumble

Personally, I take a multivitamin and I watch my electrolytes, supplementing as needed, and consider that "good enough." I also try and keep my fiber intake consistent, although I suppose that's technically a macro. I've found it's incredibly difficult/restrictive to hit your RDAs of micronutrients without supplementing and I don't think there's really any harm in taking a multivitamin.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

How are you (general you) tracking micronutirents? It drives me nuts that MFP doesn't give us this option :grumble:

On the app there is a spot where you can see them.

The biggest issue with this is not everything is always added in the database. Also, something like Potassium, are not required on labels so it often looks like you are deficient in it when it may not be the case.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    I eats my chickenz, then the rice, and some peaz..... and then a cookie.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    I do think that people don't have to eat "clean" all the time, I eat only an abundance of fruits and veggies, and sometimes I can have something other than that on reward day. IIFYM is a great thing for some people, only if they do it right. People have been using IIFYM as an excuse to eat tons of nutritionally deficient foods, and thus, most people are doing IIFYM "wrong", in my opinion, IIFYM is only a stable diet for bodybuilders. Also clean eating doesn't have to be boring, and that's why most people switch to IIFYM. If somebody wants to partake in IIFYM, the right way to do it is by eating a paleolithic diet, not the modern american diet. Don't hate on me, this is just my opinion, and if anyone doesn't accept it, just move on.

Where do you get your fats and protein from? :frown:
  • twixlepennie

The biggest issue with this is not everything is always added in the database. Also, something like Potassium, are not required on labels so it often looks like you are deficient in it when it may not be the case.

Ah, I'm not using the app-wish they would add it to their site!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

Ah, I'm not using the app-wish they would add it to their site!
    Under reports you can view your intake of several micronutrients, but not all at once (not the most useful thing in the world). I think there's a new way to "dump" the data into an excel sheet, and it might be there?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Meh. I eat something "unhealthy" every single day. I try to eat unprocessed foods most of the time... my meals don't include any boxed or canned anything, but sometimes you gotta say F it and eat some banana bread. I also don't pay any attention to my "miconutrients" The only things I watch are my calories and my protein. Lol.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member

Why?

As I understand it, there are some people who take the IIFYM approach to the extreme and eat loads of crap. However, most do not; most eat fairly clean most of the time but have cookies and cake if they want it and it fits their macros. I understand your dislike of using IIFYM to eat crap. However, I don't understand why that automatically means the best way is to eat paleo, when there is no evidence to suggest that paleo is better for us, or indeed that the diets touted as paleo actually match what the paleolithic people actually ate.
  • nicolemarthacraig
    nicolemarthacraig Posts: 20 Member
    what is IIFYM?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    what is IIFYM?

If It Fits Your Macros

A good breakdown in here. There are some other links on page 1 of this thread as well
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants