getting to much sodium

How on earth is someone suppose to keep the sodium intake around 2000mg daily? I have been using MFP for about a month now. My sodium intake is consistently WAY above the daily target goal line in the MFP report section. My total weight loss is fluctuating between 10 to 15 pounds for the last week and a half so I am kind of stuck at a plateau. Undoubtedly because of water retention from the really high sodium intake (anywhere from 3000 to 6000mg daily). There is so much sodium in food how is one suppose to avoid it?

Replies

• you should make your diary viewable to the public
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    It is quite easy to lower it. Stop eating processed food is the easiest way. That said if you find you can't lower, try to increase potassium, as a lot of it has to do with the sodium/potassium balance.
  • It took me about a year but my intake is around that or a little below. You learn to label read and shop accordingly, it takes time and practice!
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Stop all the processed foods. I have to add salt to my veggies to get up to 2500!
  • DaveInFL
    DaveInFL Posts: 84 Member
    This is the one thing I am seeing jump out in my diary for my first week.
    I would love some ideas on how to reduce my sodium intake. My diary is open.
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    It is quite easy to lower it. Stop eating processed food is the easiest way. That said if you find you can't lower, try to increase potassium, as a lot of it has to do with the sodium/potassium balance.

i don't eat bananas... what's a good source of potassium aside from bananas or potatoes?
  • MDChesler
    MDChesler Posts: 48 Member
    Lunch is my big downfall. I have switched from burgers and fries etc. and have been more aware of what I am eating and more recently (last week or so) been getting 6 inch sandwiches from Subway. No matter what I get there its high in sodium. today I thought I was doing good by bringing turkey breast with wraps to leave in the fridge at work to do my own sandwich and my sodium intake is already higher with that than it has been for any day over the last 5 days. My potassium intake is way to low and have been making changes to bring that up but still need to work harder on that front :-) I am only a month into paying attention to these things so I am still learning how to adjust my diet to be a better eater but the sodium thing is killin me
  • erickirb

i don't eat bananas... what's a good source of potassium aside from bananas or potatoes?

Potatoes are a great source, here are some others:
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php
  • erickirb
    This is the one thing I am seeing jump out in my diary for my first week.
    I would love some ideas on how to reduce my sodium intake. My diary is open.

Easiest thing here would be to skip the Gatorade and just drink water instead.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member

Low sodium V8 juice. Spinach. I have a hard time reaching the recommended potassium levels.... but then again, a lot of diary entries do not have all the nutrients entered so I may be getting more than I think.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    wow how do you eat over 2000mg? I got 600 today cos i didnt realise how bloody salty sun dried tomatoes are!
    like its high on the days I have sushi but thats about it
    but yeah cut out the processed crap
    cook more yourself
  • MomOfRose
    MomOfRose Posts: 89 Member
    A lot of sodium is hidden. I went over my sodium limit yesterday and my biggest contributors were the vegetable juice I had with dinner (like a V8), the Gouda I had for dessert, and my frozen lunch (like a Lean Cuisine). If you find that some things have a lot of sodium but you can't give them up, then just eliminate what you can so you can stay within your limits and eat what you like.
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    watch out for salad dressings, I've seen the "Light" verzion and they have 490mg sodium per serving its crazy, Lunch meats and cheeses read them before buying them and of course anything with shelf life....preservatives are a killer
  • erickirb
    wow how do you eat over 2000mg? I got 600 today cos i didnt realise how bloody salty sun dried tomatoes are!
    like its high on the days I have sushi but thats about it
    but yeah cut out the processed crap
    cook more yourself

600mg is actually much too low, you should be aiming for around 1500mgs or so, more on days you sweat a lot.
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member

Potatoes are a great source, here are some others:
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php

• ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Avoid processed foods as much as possible. Cook using fresh fruits, vegetables, and meat. You will be amazed at how much sodium is in processed foods. Read the labels for sodium content. Even frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts have added sodium.
  • You may would like to get more of the following :
    #1: White Beans
    Potassium in 100g 1 cup cooked (179g)
    561mg (16% DV) 1004mg (29% DV)
    Other Beans High in Potassium (%DV per cup): Adzuki (35%), Soy (28%), Lima (28%), Kidney (20%), Great Northern (20%), Pinto (18%) and others at an average of 15% DV per cup cooked. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#2: Dark Leafy Greens (Spinach)
    Potassium 100g (Raw) 1 Cup (Raw - 30g) 1 Cup (Cooked - 180g)
    558mg (16% DV) 167mg (5% DV) 839mg (24% DV)
    Other Greens High in Potassium (%DV per cup cooked): Swiss Chard (27% DV), Kale (8% DV), and Collards (6% DV).
    Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#3: Baked Potatoes (With Skin)
    Potassium 100g Average Potato (173g)
    535mg (15% DV) 926mg (26% DV)
    Warning: Potatoes are high in simple carbohydrates and not recommended for people with diabetes. Sweet potatoes are actually better for regulation blood sugar, an average baked sweet potato with skin (114g) provides 542mg (15% DV) of potassium. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#4: Dried Apricots
    Potassium 100g 1/2 cup (65g)
    1162mg (33% DV) 755mg (22% DV)
    Other Dried Fruits High in Potassium (%DV per 1/2 cup): Peaches (22% DV), Prunes (20% DV), Raisins (18% DV).
    Warning: Dried fruits are high in sugar. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#5: Baked Acorn Squash
    Potassium 100g 1 cup cubed (205g)
    437mg (12% DV) 899mg (26% DV)
    Other Squash High in Potassium (%DV per cup baked): Hubbard (21%), Butternut (17% DV), Zucchini (14% DV), Average Winter Squash (10% DV). Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#6: Yogurt (Plain, Skim/Non-Fat)
    Potassium 100g 1 cup (245g)
    255mg (7% DV) 625mg (18% DV)
    Other Yogurt High in Potassium (%DV per cup): Whole-Fat (11% DV), Chocolate Yogurt (24% DV). Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#7: Fish (Salmon)
    Potassium 100g 1 3oz fillet (85g)
    628mg (18% DV) 534mg (15% DV)
    Other Fish High in Potassium (%DV per 3oz fillet (85g)): Pompano (15% DV), Lingcod (14% DV), Halibut (13% DV), Yellowfin Tuna (13% DV), Anchovies (12% DV), Mackerel (10% DV), Herring (10% DV) and most other fish at an average of 10% DV. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#8: Avocados
    Potassium 100g Average Avocado (201g) 1/2 Cup Pureed (115)
    485mg (14% DV) 975mg (28% DV) 558mg (16% DV)
    An average avocado provides 322 calories, half a cup purred contains 184 calories. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#9: Mushrooms (White)
    Potassium 100g 1 cup sliced (108g)
    396mg (11% DV) 428mg (12% DV)
    1 cup cooked sliced white mushrooms contain 28 calories.
    Other mushrooms high in potassium (%DV per cup sliced): Portabella (9% DV), Brown or Crimini (9% DV), Enoki (7% DV), Shiitake (5% DV), Maitake (4% DV). Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#10: Bananas
    Potassium 100g Average Banana(118g) 1 Cup Mashed (225)
    358mg (10% DV) 422mg (12% DV) 806mg (23% DV)
    An average banana provides 105 calories, 1 cup mashed contains 200 calories. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

Advertisement

Read more at http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php#OIpxMl7hTg8M8Go8.99
  • JessMason24
    JessMason24 Posts: 38 Member
    bump