Salt-Water Rinse

Yesterday I had a wisdom tooth pulled, and part of the recovery care is swishing salt-water to prevent infection. Obviously I try to rinse any excess sodium away with plain water after each rinse and drinking tons of water to stay hydrated, but I know I'm getting way too much sodium from this - any tips on how to counteract bloat?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Yesterday I had a wisdom tooth pulled, and part of the recovery care is swishing salt-water to prevent infection. Obviously I try to rinse any excess sodium away with plain water after each rinse and drinking tons of water to stay hydrated, but I know I'm getting way too much sodium from this - any tips on how to counteract bloat?

I'd just do as the doctor ordered and the bloat if any will be temporary
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    You are probably not getting as much as you think.

If you don't do it enough you run the risk of dry socket, which sucks.

Also eat pineapple. That's what my dentist told me. Its got healing properties. yummy yummy pineapple...
  • gingercurves
    gingercurves Posts: 35 Member
    I don't think it should cause any bloat unless you're drinking it? If you just swish with it, there shouldn't be an issue. Just keep drinking plenty of water if you are worried.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member

This.

Also, If you are drinking a ton of regular water, and not swallowing the salt water rinse, you shouldn't be bloating too much.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member

Yep. A bit of bloat is much better than something going wrong with surgery recovery. Do what the doctor says!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    Non-ingested salt won't cause bloating.

Otherwise, when you swim in the ocean, you would blow up.
  • Non-ingested salt won't cause bloating.

^^^

Indeed.

Seriously OP. Unless you're actually DRINKING the saltwater you're not going to "bloat up" from it.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    yeah if you aren't drinking it then it doesn't get absorbed
    also if you're really worried about this ask your dentist about soda-water rinse (soda and water not actual soda water)
    Thats what I used last time I had a tooth ache just cos i couldn't remember if it was salt or soda but it helped :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6e2g5Oy5_tpTqRKwBG32LnGzaYKqXeorEPB5QYMlI8IUxOYDH

I don't know how to ask you this...but do you spit or swallow? The salt water that is.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Don't worry about it and do what your dentist instructs. The whole thing will be over in a couple of weeks. I had all four wisdom teeth extracted at once. THAT was fun.

Edited to add: As others have said, a salt water rinse doesn't cause bloating. I can't remember that happening. In any event, the main goal should be to keep the gum from getting infected.
  • journey_man
    journey_man Posts: 110 Member
    ...and you know this how?. Does your mouth absorb sodium in a way that is unfamiliar to the rest of us?

Do as your doctor tells you.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member

I don't know how to ask you this...but do you spit or swallow? The salt water that is.

Salt water? Spit lol but I can still taste it really strongly after I spit, and even rinsing afterward doesn't entirely remove that salty flavor from my mouth. I don't like salt and I tend to react really drastically after a high-sodium meal. I feel dehydrated for days afterward, no matter how much I drink.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member

Salt water? Spit lol but I can still taste it really strongly after I spit, and even rinsing afterward doesn't entirely remove that salty flavor from my mouth. I don't like salt and I tend to react really drastically after a high-sodium meal. I feel dehydrated for days afterward, no matter how much I drink.

wait, we are still talking about the rinse right?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    ...are you drinking it?
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    A little potential bloat is waaay better than a dry socket or infection.

It's temporary. You're not going to look pretty anyway if your cheeks get swollen. You're probably on fun meds. Why does it matter?
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Water cleanse.

IT'S THE ONLY WAY.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    A little potential bloat is waaay better than a dry socket or infection.

It's temporary. You're not going to look pretty anyway if your cheeks get swollen. You're probably on fun meds. Why does it matter?

No meds other than the freezing shot they gave me. But yeah, I just really hate that feeling I get when I ingest too much salt - the only way I know how to fight it is to drink more water to flush my system but that doesn't seem to work lol
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Non-ingested salt won't cause bloating.

Great mental image of this :laugh: