Unsolicited Advice in the gym

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I think like the others said to just ask her if she wants some advice... if it were me I wouldn't mind. I see some guys at the gym that look "experienced" at lifting weights and sometimes I wish one of them would comment on my form but I know that's not likely unless I ask.
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Lots of good tips already. It's just hard for me because I'm somewhat socially awkward. It also doesn't help that I don't exactly look like the person a strange woman wants walking up and talking to her. And then I think hey, maybe I'm wrong. But I just... ok... this is what I'm seeing, like, 5 nights a week. Also, this is late at night and the gym is not staffed at those times, for what that's worth.

This woman has a lot of right ideas. She comes in and hits the treadmill for a solid hour each time. Right on, sister. And she wants that incline burn. High five. However.... ok... I'm just going to paint the pictures. Sauna suit or heavy heavy sweats, a hoodie, and a ski cap. Ok, fine. I'll never even bother with that one. She gets on the treadmill and cranks the incline all the way up to to max and that is where it stays the entire time. Bad *kitten*. Except.... she then proceeds to, well, strap herself to the treadmill. She wraps several pieces of rope and bungee cords around her back and attaches them to the sides of the treadmill so she is literally leaning back on a sort of belt. She then proceed to attach more bungee cords and light ropes to the front of the treadmill to fashion handles, which she attaches to her wrists. It's like some crazy 50 Shades thing. This woman is bound into that treadmill. And yeah, calories burned. But we know that even lightly touching the side of the treadmill reduces calorie burn by 15%, so literally strapping your hands to the front of it is going to cut that burn by a minimum of 30%. Leaning back and allowing your bungee / rope belt to support your bodyweight completely defeats the purpose of the incline. Her feet are bearing maybe 25% of her bodyweight between all of these ropes. I don't want to say anything because she sees so into it, and she really is consistent. I don't want to ruin her mojo. And she isn't in any real risk of injury that I can see. I mean, it's physically impossible for her to fall down.

Yeah, I'm just gonna leave it alone.

MAYBE she is an astronaut and is preparing for exercise in space?!?! http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/behindscenes/bungee_running.html

LOL. That's all I got. I googled "treadmill + bungee cords." :)
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Lots of good tips already. It's just hard for me because I'm somewhat socially awkward. It also doesn't help that I don't exactly look like the person a strange woman wants walking up and talking to her. And then I think hey, maybe I'm wrong. But I just... ok... this is what I'm seeing, like, 5 nights a week. Also, this is late at night and the gym is not staffed at those times, for what that's worth.

This woman has a lot of right ideas. She comes in and hits the treadmill for a solid hour each time. Right on, sister. And she wants that incline burn. High five. However.... ok... I'm just going to paint the pictures. Sauna suit or heavy heavy sweats, a hoodie, and a ski cap. Ok, fine. I'll never even bother with that one. She gets on the treadmill and cranks the incline all the way up to to max and that is where it stays the entire time. Bad *kitten*. Except.... she then proceeds to, well, strap herself to the treadmill. She wraps several pieces of rope and bungee cords around her back and attaches them to the sides of the treadmill so she is literally leaning back on a sort of belt. She then proceed to attach more bungee cords and light ropes to the front of the treadmill to fashion handles, which she attaches to her wrists. It's like some crazy 50 Shades thing. This woman is bound into that treadmill. And yeah, calories burned. But we know that even lightly touching the side of the treadmill reduces calorie burn by 15%, so literally strapping your hands to the front of it is going to cut that burn by a minimum of 30%. Leaning back and allowing your bungee / rope belt to support your bodyweight completely defeats the purpose of the incline. Her feet are bearing maybe 25% of her bodyweight between all of these ropes. I don't want to say anything because she sees so into it, and she really is consistent. I don't want to ruin her mojo. And she isn't in any real risk of injury that I can see. I mean, it's physically impossible for her to fall down.

Ok yeah, this was posted while I was typing my sage wisdom. If you ever go in while the gym IS staffed, let someone know what kind of crazy's happening. If they want to help her great if not... Let her enjoy the ride.
  • Thom_Kat
    Thom_Kat Posts: 17 Member
    When I first started lifting, I had someone politely ask if he could offer a few tips on my squat form. I was relieved because I knew something wasn't quite right but I couldn't figure out what it was. In the end, the moment of embarrassment was worth it because it saved me potential injury and having to relearn how to do it correctly months down the road.

People shouldn't be so sensitive when someone is genuinely trying to help them. My nightmare is being stealth filmed for Awkward Gym Moments, not some guy offering a little advice.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member

Oh... that's not that I was expecting. I was thinking she had bad squat form or something. Yeah I wouldn't say anything to her on that one.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Leave it alone. If she wanted help, she'd hire a trainer, or work out with someone knowledgeable, or read, or surf youtube.
    People do not need advice from a stranger who needs to feel important by pointing out their deficiencies and playing up their own knowledge.
    Thanks. But, no thanks.

Oops! I just saw where you came to that conclusion yourself. My bad.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member

Dude. The visual ...

I can't believe the gym allows it - just the working out with all that crap on is begging for heat exhaustion/dehydration issues. And the bungees! What are the chances she's got them on them securely enough for them to hold if she falls? She'll probably hang herself in them.

That said, I think you should steer clear of her. That doesn't sound like someone open to taking sensible advice.
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member

You have me in hysterics right now with your as I am picturing her strapped to a treadmill...I kinda want a picture of such things. Don't know unless you begin to friend her and just casually talk then get into it...not sure. As for me I welcome anyone that would like to critique my technique because I want good technique and thank people for helping me. How much equipment does she have to bring in to create such a monstrosity...never mind yes kudos on her consistency though...maybe try to befriend her first
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Wow! She sounds a little crazy, no?? I would let the staff know what's happening after hours. She is an injury waiting to happen, I'm sure they would not want that happening on their property! I have a feeling your advice would not be well received so I would go with just telling the staff.
  • "Excuse me, may I offer some advice? It might help you get more out of your workout."

If yes, then explain.

If no, then let them do it their way.

That wasn't so hard :)
    Perfect way to handle it.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    There's no need to handle anything. Keep your nose out of it. I won't give advice unless asked because I think that generally, when people offer unsolicited advice, it's to feel big and just a little self-important.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I only approach people who are clearly new and trying something standard and look like they are working on it... usually they have the "I'm a newb" look. I won't help someone who clearly thinks they know what they are doing. Most of the time it isn't worth it.

But I approach the same way- are you trying to learn ___ lift?
    Yes/No
    would you like some advice? I don't mean to barge in but if you are interested I can help a little
    and go from there- 9/10 if you read the person right from the start they are willing to listen- if you guage the wrong person you'll just get an earful. I try to mind my own business mostly.

The internet is there to help most people. (in theory)
  • l_ashley
    l_ashley Posts: 154 Member
    It all depends on how you come off. Personally I will take all the advice I can get, but it depends on who's giving it.
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    That was why I used a personal trainer and plan on again when I can afford so I know the proper techniques and how not to hurt myself. I would hope that if someone saw me doing it wrong they would say something. I am still in the learning stage of weights so any help someone would give me would be much appreciated.

I would say go up to this person and offer your kindness in helping them do it right. :-)
  • In this situation I would make the staff aware of what she is doing when no one is there. If she gets hurt they're in for a lot of problems.
  • HauteBetic
    HauteBetic Posts: 5 Member
    "Excuse me, may I offer some advice? It might help you get more out of your workout."

If yes, then explain.

If no, then let them do it their way.

That wasn't so hard :)

I'm going to have to agree with AZthanos21 and the majority. In most cases, people would welcome any helpful advice... particularly any relative to a potentially hazardous nature. However, in the event that said person is unique (as I am not like the typical perception of women myself), she may not appreciate the approach and deem you as arrogant. While your intentions may be entirely innocent, the initial impression it that you are looking down upon the person. So, perhaps when you approach her/him don't make a scene and keep your voice at a conversational level?

Bottom line: Try not to embarrass the person. I'm sure all you want to do is make sure they don't get hurt. ^_^
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    I would say in this particular situation she already knows she is not doing it the correct way, but must have it in her head that this idea is going to help her somehow. I would leave it to.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Your scenario had me laughing. She sounds crazy, my advice is to look away!
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Why do some of you think unsolicited advice is to make the giver feel "self-important" or that they are "pointing out their deficiencies and playing up their own knowledge"? Some people just genuinely want to help and are concerned about others potentially getting injured. The world isn't only full of egotistical jerks; there ARE good, kind people out there.
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member

Maybe she's injured and uses the cords to keep weight off her injury.