Confessions of a recovering clean eater

Replies

• Love this thread. I love the idea of IIFIYM but I have an insane appetite and find when I do try IIFIYM I end up eating 3000+ calories because I'm RAVENOUS.
    Clean eating can definitely be disordered.
    What do you mean you're ravenous? Are you saying the food you eat on IIFYM isn't as filling so you find yourself hungrier? Ironically I find its easier for me to eat clean when I do IIFYM. When I do clean eating I find myself obsessing over everything I can't have. It's like someone telling you not to think of pink elephants. Guess what you'll thinking about lol. I begin looking forward to cheat days and meals way too much, and when I finally indulge sometimes I end up binging and I feel more justified in doing so because I've been good. With IIFYM just knowing I can eat that slice of pizza or cookie turns down the whole forbidden me want real bad thing to null and I find I just naturally make healthier choices because that's truly how I want to eat and not because I feel I have too. And then if I do have a slice of pizza on occasion I'm able to enjoy it without feeling guilty and like I've blown my diet. This prevents me from saying illogical things like I've ruined my diet I might as well have 3 slices lol . This is just why I personally like IIFYM.
    A lot of peoples definition of clean removes fat and quite a bit of protein, and if your eating veg all day that would do it. Just speculating.
    No nothings wrong with the food it's perfectly healthy it's mostly a psychological thing. When I tell myself I can't have a particular treat, for some reason it becomes more desirable and irresistible than it really is and I have a harder time resisting it. When I tell myself you can have it I can say no or just take a little and be satisfied
  • Love this thread. I love the idea of IIFIYM but I have an insane appetite and find when I do try IIFIYM I end up eating 3000+ calories because I'm RAVENOUS.
    What do you mean you're ravenous? Are you saying the food you eat on IIFYM isn't as filling so you find yourself hungrier? Ironically I find its easier for me to eat clean when I do IIFYM. When I do clean eating I find myself obsessing over everything I can't have. It's like someone telling you not to think of pink elephants. Guess what you'll thinking about lol. I begin looking forward to cheat days and meals way too much, and when I finally indulge sometimes I end up binging and I feel more justified in doing so because I've been good. With IIFYM just knowing I can eat that slice of pizza or cookie turns down the whole forbidden me want real bad thing to null and I find I just naturally make healthier choices because that's truly how I want to eat and not because I feel I have too. And then if I do have a slice of pizza on occasion I'm able to enjoy it without feeling guilty and like I've blown my diet. This prevents me from saying illogical things like I've ruined my diet I might as well have 3 slices lol . This is just why I personally like IIFYM.

I fall into that exact same mentality with forbidden foods. I want them just because they're forbidden. But if I'm allowed to eat them whenever, I can take them or leave them, so can just eat e.g. a couple of squares of chocolate without feeling the need to eat the whole bar ASAP
    exactly lol
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    How can eating clean and IIFYM be the same nutritionally? A Big Mac from McDonalds might fit your macros but nutritionally it's no where near the same nutritional value of the same amount of calories of vegetables, fruits and whole foods. Am I thinking too simple?

Definitely not the same. Processed foods have lots of chemicals and they're made to slide right down with minimal chewing (or many are), so your body barely notices them and you want more. Clean eating has made me like the processed stuff less; I swear I can taste some of the chemicals, particularly in the aftertaste. I do eat some stuff that's not healthy- mainly on the sweet side because I really like desserts. All in moderation and carefully chosen, though.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Love this thread. I love the idea of IIFIYM but I have an insane appetite and find when I do try IIFIYM I end up eating 3000+ calories because I'm RAVENOUS.

I'd definitely agree with this. When I've already eaten what i should, a couple of cookies just tastes good and doesn't blow the calorie goal, and I'm already full enough can just enjoy the taste and not feel like eating a lot of them. Same thing with pizza, or anything else "treat-like".
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,866 Member
    Love this thread. I love the idea of IIFIYM but I have an insane appetite and find when I do try IIFIYM I end up eating 3000+ calories because I'm RAVENOUS.
    A lot of peoples definition of clean removes fat and quite a bit of protein, and if your eating veg all day that would do it. Just speculating.
    No nothings wrong with the food it's perfectly healthy it's mostly a psychological thing. When I tell myself I can't have a particular treat, for some reason it becomes more desirable and irresistible than it really is and I have a harder time resisting it. When I tell myself you can have it I can say no or just take a little and be satisfied
    lol....no my response was for the quote above yours.....what you said makes perfect sense.....sorry for the confusion.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    How can eating clean and IIFYM be the same nutritionally? A Big Mac from McDonalds might fit your macros but nutritionally it's no where near the same nutritional value of the same amount of calories of vegetables, fruits and whole foods. Am I thinking too simple?

Definitely not the same. Processed foods have lots of chemicals and they're made to slide right down with minimal chewing (or many are), so your body barely notices them and you want more. Clean eating has made me like the processed stuff less; I swear I can taste some of the chemicals, particularly in the aftertaste. I do eat some stuff that's not healthy- mainly on the sweet side because I really like desserts. All in moderation and carefully chosen, though.

Which particular chemicals are you talking about, and what do you define as processed foods?

e.g. I just had Covent Garden Soup for lunch. It comes in a packet that you reheat. However, the recipe they make it to is pretty much the same as I would make (although they put cream in, which I would never have thought of doing). Does that count as processed? Or are you speaking of things like Big Macs etc. If so, I'm wondering what chemicals exactly you are tasting because as far as I can tell, Big Macs taste of cardboard and not much else :smile:
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member

:huh:
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member

Which particular chemicals are you talking about, and what do you define as processed foods?

e.g. I just had Covent Garden Soup for lunch. It comes in a packet that you reheat. However, the recipe they make it to is pretty much the same as I would make (although they put cream in, which I would never have thought of doing). Does that count as processed? Or are you speaking of things like Big Macs etc. If so, I'm wondering what chemicals exactly you are tasting because as far as I can tell, Big Macs taste of cardboard and not much else :smile:

Well, how fast did the soup slide down your throat? That's the real scientific way to tell if it's processed or not.

:laugh:
  • mccindy72

:huh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member

Chemicals, huh?:huh:

hC56543CD
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member

Well, how fast did the soup slide down your throat? That's the real scientific way to tell if it's processed or not.

:laugh:

Lol! :laugh:

Anyway, as far as I understand it, the IIFYM approach isn’t about whether each individual foodstuff you eat is nutritionally balanced, but rather whether your overall diet is – there is an unwritten rule that you don’t just hit your macros, you hit your micros too. Many people seem to (wilfully?) misunderstand this concept. There is no argument that a Big Mac has the nutritional value of a chunk of 2x4 but living off *only* Big Macs is against the IIFYM ethos anyway so in many ways that is irrelevant.

Besides, while I agree that there are some artificial additives in processed foods that you may want to avoid, this is personal preference rather than health (as all artificial additives in the UK at least have been certified fit for human consumption), I doubt very much that a person can “taste the chemicals”.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Bumping to read later.
  • mccindy72

Chemicals, huh?:huh:

hC56543CD

+1
  • Babbs1977
    Babbs1977 Posts: 42 Member
    Following. :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    The blog is blocked at work so all I could read was the cliff notes. I went through a clean eating phase - the Macrobiotic diet, to be exact. I actually found it really easy at first, and always easy when I was at home, since I was living alone at the time. But it was too hard to maintain when eating away from home.

But, I am very glad I did it. I learned a lot about food during that time. And I made some healthy diet changes that have stuck with me through the decades since I did it.

I would encourage anyone to give sensible clean eating a try. If they stick with it, then that's great. If they find it too restrictive and relax a bit, that great too. And hopefully they will learn from it and develop new healthy habits, as I did.
  • mccindy72
    The blog is blocked at work so all I could read was the cliff notes. I went through a clean eating phase - the Macrobiotic diet, to be exact. I actually found it really easy at first, and always easy when I was at home, since I was living alone at the time. But it was too hard to maintain when eating away from home.

But, I am very glad I did it. I learned a lot about food during that time. And I made some healthy diet changes that have stuck with me through the decades since I did it.

I would encourage anyone to give sensible clean eating a try. If they stick with it, then that's great. If they find it too restrictive and relax a bit, that great too. And hopefully they will learn from it and develop new healthy habits, as I did.

Ah, there you are. Really? Wonderful. new healthy habits like what?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

Here is the blog post:

Yes, I used to be a “clean eater” and am proud to say I no longer am. I used to smoke too, and when I realized I was slowly killing myself, I stopped.

The clean eating change was almost the same for me. Obviously “clean eating” wasn’t killing me, but it was killing my relationships with people and my passion for life.

What is “clean eating”? If you are reading this you have certainly heard the term before, but exactly how would you explain it to people? How would you define clean eating? I would like to hear your definition and why you feel that way.

My definition (back when I was a CE’er) was whole foods, nothing from a box, low fat and low carb. Six meals a day (gotta eat every 2.5 hours to keep the metabolism burning)! I ate the same old thing each time and “always carried my food”.

Most competitors I know define it as broccoli, asparagus, sweet potatoes, chicken breast, tilapia, rice, (usually brown), and maybe 10 almonds. Six or seven times a day, every day for weeks or even months on end. And not much food either. Many people think that it is the only way to get lean. Of course most of the same people spend hours and hours a week doing cardio, and even worse “fasted cardio”. Yup, starve themselves then try to exercise, often to the point of exhaustion.

Of course you can get lean like that! You are severely restricting calories, controlling the food like a Nazi guard and eating the same stuff over and over so you get sick of it and would not even consider over eating.

You start chewing with your front teeth only because all you want to do is chew and swallow, you are sick of the stuff you are putting in your mouth and don’t want to really even taste it! I remember each competition when I got to that stage it was mind over matter, I wanted real food and had to choke down the same old dry crap meal after meal!

We all want to look good. And for competitors that desire is even more ingrained in our day to day lives. We NEED to look good all the time, when we go off our competition diets and look like a “normal” person, we feel fat so we start eating like we are prepping again for a competition, even though we aren’t. It’s a sick and viscous circle that we put ourselves through.

At some point I took a long look at my life and those around me, whom I love very much. My family, my friends. I no longer ate many meals with my family, or if I did, it was cold chicken out of a plastic bag. I didn’t go to many social functions as it was too much eating and drinking, I really didn’t want to be around it.

I knew there was a better way, there had to be. Life is not meant to be lived in purgatory, it’s meant to be enjoyed.

If you have read my last few posts you know I started working with Dr. Layne Norton for my nutrition and now he is doing my training programming also (only because Roy closed his gym, and that’s a whole other story!).

The change was scary at first. We all see the “IIFYM” (If It Fits Your Macros) people, they love to show all the ridiculously unhealthy looking recipes they concoct with fat free this and low cal that. It’s frightening when you come from the belief that there are many “bad” foods out there!

Unlike what most traditional bodybuilder/competitors believe, those of us who follow “flexible dieting” do not all eat crap, at least not all the time. I rarely eat packaged foods, although I eat a lot more than I used to.

It took me a long time to actually believe that “a carb is a carb”. Seriously! I did as I was instructed, and at every weekly check in would ask things like “Is sourdough bread ok?” “May I eat mangoes?” Doesn’t that sound ridiculous?! He would laugh and say “Of course!”

As of this writing, I have had exactly 6 pop tarts! (in a six month span of working with Layne). And…. I LIKE pop tarts now! You see, a carb is a carb and if you tell me that my body knows the difference between a piece of whole wheat toast and a pop tart and will build muscle accordingly (or gain fat), I will tell you to show me proof. Show me a study. I am not going to rely on a steroid taking old school bodybuilder who insists that is true “just because it’s always been done that way”.

One large slice of whole wheat toast has the same (actually a bit more) carbohydrate than one pop tart. I am eating 310 grams of carbohydrate a day, which means I eat 108.5 grams pre training! Sometimes I don’t want three pieces of toast, so I have two pieces and a pop tart (along with yams, raspberry & dark chocolate Greek yogurt and whey protein).

I tend to eat whey to fill in missing protein now. I like whole food best and as much as I can get.

No foods are off limits, but I have learned that there are some that are much more calorie dense than others, and I have also learned that if I want a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, it means on very low carb bread and not pre or post training, the meal timing is crucial as I am working to maintain a very low bodyfat while adding muscle.

I don’t eat “cheat meals”, there is no need as I can eat anything I want, as long as I stick to my macro nutrient ratios, meal timing and calories. If I want a glass of wine, I have one, but it means less food that day (the food wins 99% of the time).

I also eat fewer meals. I eat five meals Monday through Thursday and only four on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It allows me to have larger portions when I have fewer meals, I sometimes go 5 hours between a meal, I have not lost a leg, all my muscle or died, I look good. And I have muscle, believe me.

My favorite dinner is a cheddar cheese omelet (real, full fat cheese and egg whites) with mushrooms and broccoli raab, all cooked in a small amount of raw butter and garlic sourdough toast. I frequently eat 2 pound salads made of mixed cooked vegetables, hard cooked eggs and chicken breast, all tossed with fresh lemon and tahini sauce, followed by a crisp apple and almond butter

I tend to eat meals that are very filling, so lots of vegetables and leaner meats then I add tahini sauce or almond butter or avocado for fat. I can eat the fattier meats but then I cannot have the almond butter! Decisions, decisions!

People are willing to try everything it seems. Many eat “gluten free” even though they do not have celiac disease; thousands follow a Paleo diet when there is no reason to believe we should eat like cavemen ; there are vegetarians, vegans, dairy free, fish free, you name it there is a diet! They all work for one reason- calorie restriction. BOOM! You cut a major food group out of your diet, or decide you can only eat a few things and you are controlling portion right there.

If people want to be “clean eaters” I support them for attempting to live a healthy life and take control of their nutrition, but I do want to express that there are other ways and other diets that work just as well. People become very passionate about what they strongly believe in, often to the point that they lash out at others who disagree. There is no need for “diet wars”, we should all be free to choose our own method to our madness; however, I hate seeing poor misguided young women (and it’s usually women), fall into the belief that the unhealthy starvation and excess cardio routine is the way to go. These same women are the ones who live “cheat meal” to “cheat meal” and often binge.

Do I think you are less a person for following a clean eating diet? No, not at all. Nor do I think I am superior, I too followed it for many years and swore it was the only way. But in life, we learn as we progress. Change is never easy, and if you don’t want to change, it is even more difficult. When you are ready for a change, when you are no longer happy with the way your life is, you may take a peek and see how the other side lives, the side I am on. Yes, the grass is greener over here!

It’s been almost six months now; I actually just entered into an agreement with Layne for training and nutritional coaching for another year and a half. I was planning a May 10 competition, but I have gotten so lean, that he is encouraging me to do a competition a month earlier, he said I won’t need to diet long and it shouldn’t be difficult.

Did I mention I have lost 10 pounds doing this? Yes, I went from eating 1550 calories a day and weighed 131 pounds in August, to eating 2510 calories a day and I weigh 121 pounds. I am lean and ripped, and I am doing cardio two times a week, for a total of 24 minutes each time (that is including the 5 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down).

Eating this way, reverse dieting (adding calories slowly, the opposite of dieting where you subtract calories) and following a flexible diet have been one of the most challenging things I have ever done, but one of the most rewarding. It’s been six months of daily calculations of every single thing I eat and drink, preparing way ahead, and reviewing restaurant menus before stepping foot into the restaurant. But my body has responded well. I am muscular, very lean, strong, physically and, more importantly, emotionally healthy. I do not feel deprived at all, I feel liberated actually. I am not worried about how I look constantly, or worried that I will “blow up” from eating a certain food. I am no longer bound by the self imposed chains that held me so long.
  • bcattoes

More whole grains, more vegetables, more olive oil, less animal fats. I tried many new foods and food combinations. I (eventually) learned to roll sushi without having sicky rice all over me and the kitchen. A more plant based diet.
  • mccindy72

More whole grains, more vegetables, more olive oil, less animal fats. I tried many new foods and food combinations. I (eventually) learned to roll sushi without having sicky rice all over me and the kitchen. A more plant based diet.

that has nothing to do with this point of this thread. The point of this thread is that as long as you meet your macro needs, you can still eat other foods that fit into your calorie goals and lose weight. Please read the blog post that audii was so kind as to copy and paste in for you. 'Clean eating' isn't necessary. IIFYM is the point.

Because treats,
  • bcattoes

Here is the blog post:
    What is “clean eating”? If you are reading this you have certainly heard the term before, but exactly how would you explain it to people? How would you define clean eating? I would like to hear your definition and why you feel that way.

My definition (back when I was a CE’er) was whole foods, nothing from a box, low fat and low carb. Six meals a day (gotta eat every 2.5 hours to keep the metabolism burning)! I ate the same old thing each time and “always carried my food”.

I'll have to read the full article later as I have to go to meeting in just a few min. But this ^^ is very different from how I would describe clean eating. What does meal timing have to do with whether a food is clean or not?? Also, how does fat or carb affect whether a food is clean? Is an avocado not clean? If this is the common definition of clean eating then it has changed greatly over the years.

I define clean food as whole unprocessed food. The more processing, the less clean. Whole grains are minimally processed so pretty clean, though not as clean as say a vegetable picked fresh from the garden. Homemade whole grain bread is less clean than whole grains. Store bought whole grain bread that has man-made food additives would be even less clean. Etc.