Info please - Heart Rate Monitors

Good morning!

I am considering getting a heart rate monitor, but thought that I would ask a few questions of the group before buying one.

1. Which model do you have?
2. Why did you pick that one?
3. What are the pluses/minuses?

Thanks so much for your help!

- Crista

Replies

• Good morning!

I am considering getting a heart rate monitor, but thought that I would ask a few questions of the group before buying one.

1. Which model do you have?
    2. Why did you pick that one?
    3. What are the pluses/minuses?

Thanks so much for your help!

- Crista
  • Hi,
    I've had two and taken them both back.

The first was from Target - about $60 - sorry, don't remember the brand. It was the kind that didn't require a chest strap. To get your heart rate, you have to hold your fingertip on the watch for about 3 seconds. It didn't always read correctly, and I didn't like having to interrupt my workout to get the number.

The second was a Nike unit with a chest strap - Even though putting the strap on is an extra step, it is really worth it, because you get a continuous reading. I returned this one because I want one that also tracks (an estimated) calorie consumption.

I have my eye on a Rebook RS-III, but haven't purchased it yet:
    http://store.reebok.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2016323&cp=2065999.851740&parentPage=family

Good luck!
    - John
  • tanzmamma
    tanzmamma Posts: 368 Member
    I just got one about a week ago.

I have the Polar F4.

I researched the different models and what I needed/wanted and chose that one based on price and reviews. The F6 IS better... but it had features that I didnt need.

I LOVE it!!!!! I would definitely buy it again if I had to!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    I have 2. The answers are separated by a dash for each one.

1. Omron $35 - Polar F11 $150
    2. Cheap & functional - Recommended & lots of features
    3. no calorie burn, just HR - almost too many features & comfortable chest strap (as those things go)
  • From what I have read it seems like the F6 is the way to go for "middle of the road yet good". I am going kayaking this weekend ... so maybe I will go out and grab one at lunch today. I am curious to see how many calories I am burning "having fun"!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    I'm an F4 kinda girl.
    Keep it simple to follow and easy to run.