Can someone help me please? lower cals or lower carbs

Replies

• I have tried every diet under the sun. I tried Atkins at one point and lost about 30 pounds but found myself to be really irritable and tired. Also as soon as you eat a crouton on an extremely low carb diet, you gain weight:smile: What has worked for me in the past is eating less calories and working out, staying away from processed food - white flour, white rice, potatoes, pasta, white bread, sugar desserts, etc. Whole grains in moderation - brown rice, whole wheat bread, whole grain pasta, etc. are okay but again in moderation. And as everyone always says - lean protein and lots of veggies.
  • LBennett34
    LBennett34 Posts: 25 Member
    It completely depends on the carbs! Unfortunately, the program doesn't differentiate the carbs from a twinkie and carbs from a salad. Increase the fiber (mostly veggies and some fruit) and try to avoid WHITE things like white rice, bread, pasta, sugar, etc. One thing I've done is whatever I cook for dinner, whether it's burgers, steak, or shrimp, I fill my plate with romaine and chopped raw veggies, then throw on whatever veggies I've cooked, and put my meat on top of that. It's like a gourmet salad every night. It has really helped me!
  • forget fad diets, hit your macros and have a sensible calorie deficit and you will be fine. Keeping carbs to low will mean your body is going to start burning muscle. Balance is the key to this.

100% NOT true. Don't spread false information please. That's not cool. I've been on keto since July and haven't lost what muscle mass I have. In fact, now I can see muscles in my arms!

+1. Its funny how people spread false information. Relax people, there is no one approach, let every one do whats best for them. I do great in Keto and I have more muscle than before I went low carb.
  • mars735
    mars735 Posts: 8 Member
    Lower your carbs AND calories. 1.) Carbs cause spikes in insulin, which is what helps you add fat to your body. Insulin spikes make you hungry & that can make it really hard to stick with any diet. 2) When you lose weight, you will lose some muscle mass so best to avoid losing any extra muscle due to inadequate dietary protein. I would try to keep the carbs on the lower side because you will feel less hungry. When counting carbs, be sure to subtract fiber from the total to get net carbs. That what counts. If you don't do this, you may eat too few carbs.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Hey there,
    My best advice for you, is don't skip carbs, but skip simple carbs. Stick to complex carbs, red potatoes, whole grains, ONLY whole wheat breads. And only eat them up until lunch time. Read up on clean eating, and stay away from processed foods. I'm 34, and I was up at 152, I lost 7 pounds in my first week of eating clean. Don't try to cut out too much at once, otherwise you will just find yourself craving that thing you are cutting out. I started working out and eating clean in August and have lost 17 pounds. The clean diet will be the first step to dropping the weight. Try it for one week, and I promise you will see results. Eat a large breakfast, plenty of protein, ex: hard boiled egg, a yogurt (greek) and whole wheat toast, or oatmeal. (I hate oatmeal, so I eat whole wheat toast) My personal trainer told me your 1st meal of the day should be your biggest, then lunch smaller and a very little for dinner, you should wake up hungry ready to fuel your body. But don't skip carbs except for at dinner, ie protein and veggies. Try to eat clean snacks throughout the day, unsalted nuts, veggies, hummus. At this point I'm eating 80% clean, but at first it was more like 95% I hope this helps. Don't give up!!

Wat? Clean eating has nothing to do with weight loss

Clean eating is good for over all health goals but it is not a necessity to drop pounds. it is also it has been shown that meal timing is bunk. eat at whatever time of day you naturally find yourself hungry at. (eating when you're actually hungry is FAR more important)

to respond to someone else. a low carb diet does not equal gaining it all back once you quit that diet. eating too many calories is what causes weight gain and that can be from ANY diet or calorie reduction plan if the dieter doesn't see their diet as a long term change of lifestyle. If you go back to eating in the manner that made you fat in the first place... Yeah, derp.. you're gonna gain it back.

To answer the OP. for me low carb was helpful for cravings. After 6 months of it I found myself slipping and not able to maintain the low carb thing so have gone back to a traditional diet. Both diets have their pros and cons. For some being able to eat fat (when you're in keto your body is burning fat as a fuel instead of carbs) at the expense of carbs is easier to maintain. (this diet also lessens your carb cravings and keeps your bloodsugar stable) but for some low fat is easier to maintain. Personally, I find I like variety and will be dieting for a while. I"ll probably go back to keto at some point but at the moment find myself needing to have more fruit and veggies in my diet. I was seriously craving those things all the time so I think my body is saying.. hey... change it up. so I did.

do what works for you. Try low fat for a month.. see if it makes you lose more and keeps you saner.. Try low carb for a month see how that works.. try things on for size and see what works for you.

at the end of the day, with any diet you choose.. less calories than what you burn in a day is the key to weight loss.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    forget fad diets, hit your macros and have a sensible calorie deficit and you will be fine. Keeping carbs to low will mean your body is going to start burning muscle. Balance is the key to this.

absolutely not true if the protein is kept high enough. It's been shown that low carb diets actually preserve more muscle than traditional diets.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    forget fad diets, hit your macros and have a sensible calorie deficit and you will be fine. Keeping carbs to low will mean your body is going to start burning muscle. Balance is the key to this.

100% NOT true. Don't spread false information please. That's not cool. I've been on keto since July and haven't lost what muscle mass I have. In fact, now I can see muscles in my arms!

+1. Its funny how people spread false information. Relax people, there is no one approach, let every one do whats best for them. I do great in Keto and I have more muscle than before I went low carb.

where did the original poster say that keto is a fad diet?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

absolutely not true if the protein is kept high enough. It's been shown that low carb diets actually preserve more muscle than traditional diets.

I am assuming you have a link to some kind of study on that..?
  • forget fad diets, hit your macros and have a sensible calorie deficit and you will be fine. Keeping carbs to low will mean your body is going to start burning muscle. Balance is the key to this.

where did the original poster say that keto is a fad diet?

Where did I talk about a fad diet. I am laughing my *kitten* at muscle loss in Keto. There is a study to show anything good or bad, its time people get off their high horses and do whats best for their own bodies. I don't care if its a Vegan,raw food, High carb, low carb or moderate diet. Do whats best and stop spreading rumors if you haven't done it.
  • wyllden
    wyllden Posts: 48 Member
    Hi there,
    I recently adjusted my diet for a lower carb type too per my doctor's recommendation because I wasn't losing weight just lowering calories alone... She said "Don't necessarily lower your calories, but cut your carbs a bit and up your protein"... I was already cutting calories to between 1200-1600, that's why she said don't lower my calories anymore. So for me, I changed all my macro goals (Carbs, Fat, Protein) in MFP to 30% Carbs, 30% Fat, and 40% protein... 50 is REALLY low though... A low carb diet is anything from 50-150 grams per day... so you're on the very low end. You may be just cutting out too many. Make sure you're getting enough protein too!

Thanks, i think i am gonna up my carbs to between 80-150g per day. Going by the amount of rubbish foods i was eating prior to my diet I was probably consuming alot more carbs than that so i suppose it is still a reduction for me. I am alot more aware now of the carb count in foods and will try and make better choices. what carb count are you sticking too? Are you seeing results?
  • wyllden
    wyllden Posts: 48 Member
    I just started Atkins diet I am on Phase 1 Induction. I have heard that this usually helps lose weight fast. I used to weigh almost 200 pounds as well and I would eat special k with berries in the morning with no milk, for lunch i would have a salad plain with no dressing, and for dinner chicken tenders or breast, not breaded, pan fried with veggies, your choice of green beans, or broccoli Normandy. and of course plenty of water. I would alternate my meals and you can eat what you wish but cut out breads, sweets, sodas as well. any kind of soda even diet. and i stopped drinking alcohol for 6 months. i dropped 30 pounds in one year, and the next year another 30. I was so happy I went from a size 15 to a size 5!!! Now I have moved away from home and moved to Vegas where there are lots of buffets and awesome restaurants and I have put on 15-20 pounds over the last 6 months. So I am trying to lose those pounds now. I'm seriously trying everything to get back into my size 5. You can do this too. Working out is fun and challenging. Try to look up YouTube videos on working out some cardio and start out slow maybe low impact. That is working great for me. I am on day 3 of induction and I have already lost 2.4 pounds. Must be water weight but hey! That's a start right? Good luck and add me if you want, we can definitely motivate each other.

I'm definately up for trying to motivate eachother, you've had great progress and have lots of similarities to me, it's good to know you were at 200lbs and have succeeded in losing the weight, you look great in your pics!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Wat? Clean eating has nothing to do with weight loss

For women, nutrition absolutely has to do with weight loss. And clean eating is good nutrition. It's not rocket science. I was sharing what has worked for me, I'm also a women in my thirties. Weight loss is totally different for men than it is for women.

You do not need to eat clean to lose weight. I am a woman in my 40's...so?

OP: have a read of this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

I am assuming you have a link to some kind of study on that..?

It's not the low carb, its the high protein. Poor protein..always gets ignored and lower carbs gets the kudos.
  • Read the book"The real Meal revolution" from Proff. Tim Noaks.
    Drop all carbs and increase the fat. Fat is your friend.
    But read the book!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    If you want to lose weight you need to count both, worked perfectly for me, zero carbs, low calorie diet....

Zero carbs????

So you don't eat any fruit/veg??

No carbs what so ever.......really??
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Hi,

I'm newish and been trying to stick to a low carb diet under 50g per day, i'm finding it really difficult to stick to that and always end up going over, but usually have calories left over.

I sit better to do lower carb in my situation? or just lower fat and calorie count? i'm confused as i keep reading various information and it is getting a bit mindboggling.

I am 31, 5"5 and weigh 201.8lbs so classed as obese. I want to lose about 58lbs.

Someone please help me decide what will work for me

Thanks in advance

For weight loss, 100 carbs. Pay attention to your macros and less about the calories. A calorie of one food is NOT the same as a calorie of another. For example, take a protein bar. Almost all of them are low calorie.. but take a look at the ingredients!! Many have close to the amount of sugar recommended for the day. Quality of calories is what counts!! And track your sugar... 10 percent of your calories

Message me if you want examples

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Lower your calories until you're in a caloric deficit.

If you lower your carbs (or fats or proteins) without lowering your calories, you won't lose weight. There is nothing magical about low-carb eating.

^^^ This totally. Carbs should be at a low, yes. They ultimately are sugars and makes you produce insulin more but it really comes down to calories in and calories out. I would focus on the basics right now until you find your mojo
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Hi,

I'm newish and been trying to stick to a low carb diet under 50g per day, i'm finding it really difficult to stick to that and always end up going over, but usually have calories left over.

I sit better to do lower carb in my situation? or just lower fat and calorie count? i'm confused as i keep reading various information and it is getting a bit mindboggling.

I am 31, 5"5 and weigh 201.8lbs so classed as obese. I want to lose about 58lbs.

Thanks in advance

For weight loss, 100 carbs. Pay attention to your macros and less about the calories. A calorie of one food is NOT the same as a calorie of another. For example, take a protein bar. Almost all of them are low calorie.. but take a look at the ingredients!! Many have close to the amount of sugar recommended for the day. Quality of calories is what counts!! And track your sugar... 10 percent of your calories

Message me if you want examples

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity

WTF, 100g carb for weightloss? What's this business of throwing a random number around that is magically going to help weightloss?

@OP: You are most likely experiencing fears of high-sugar/fat due to years of dietary indoctrination. Eating 2 bananas will bring you above the MFP calorie target- don't bother with it. Change the track-sugar to sodium instead. You track sugar anyway by tracking carbs.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Hi,

Thanks in advance

I just logged my breakfast. I use protein without any added sugar or artificial ingredients (they cause weight gain and prevent weight loss) I use about a quarter of a banana and throw in a few blueberries and some yogurt. It does not come close to that!! Check your protein powder. It must have added sugar.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    As others have said, ultimately if your only goal is losing weight (as a number on the scale) versus changing the way is shaped, all you have to do is take in less calories than you burn off. If your daily calorie goal is 1400, you can get that 1400 by eating nothing but ice cream if you want.

However...if your goal also includes being HEALTHY, then you need to take nutrition into account as well and try and meet the macro goals you get from MFP overall.

Since you are finding it difficult to stick with low-carb, that probably should tell you it will not work long-term. Focus instead on identifying which carbs are "trigger" foods for you...ones you have trouble eating in moderation...and keep those out of the house for the most part if possible. For me, it's ice cream so I don't bring it home. I still have ice cream...but I need to go to the ice cream SHOP for the occasional cone or two. If I bring home a pint, usually it's gone in one sitting. (Sometimes my wife will bring some home as you can see from my diary :blushing: )