Need night-time snack ideas......

javonjay76
javonjay76 Posts: 48 Member
I'm having a hard time with the "Dawn Effect" & my FBG. I think. So, how does this sound:

I only take 1 pill Janumet 1000mg per day.

I go to bed 10pm BG: 186

No nightime snack ( I forgot)

Get up 7:30am FBG: 205

What am I doing wrong?

What kind of night-time snack can I have that will help with the FBG?

Replies

• papa369
    papa369 Posts: 31 Member
    Hi:
    I'm type 2 and take 1 Glipizide am and 2 pm. I was having a real issue with my morning numbers, Then someone suggested 10 Fritos dipper dipped in hummus. I eat this about 1/2 hour to hour before bedtime and my morning number are between 100 and 110 upon waking. I can't explain why and don't know if this will help. It shouldn't add to many to a daily calories count so you might want to ask your Doctor or just try it. Good luck
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    About 2 years ago, I managed my blood sugar so well that I was taken off insulin and Metformin. After a few months, I started experiencing the dawn phenomenon and none of the before bed eating tricks worked for me. I had to go back on Metformin because that also controls dawn phenomenon
  • javonjay76
    Hi papa369,
    I like that idea! I definitely love Fritos & Hummus! I'm going to try it! Thanks!
  • There's some good information on Dawn Phenomonen here: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/814001 About 50% of people with Type 2 experience dawn phenomenon, when blood sugar levels go up around dawn. A bedtime snack with a few grams of carbohydrate and some protein can be helpful. Peanut butter and crackers, Greek yogurt, hummus and veggies, low-fat string cheese and crackers are some ideas. Be sure to talk with your doctor and let her know what's happening. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    I always have a couple of sticks of reduced-fat mozzarella string cheese; it tastes great, you can make it last a while (if you peel them like I do!) and very little carbs. I also sometimes have a few baby carrots dipped into peanut butter (not too much, though) - it's filling.

I also have very bad morning numbers; even a cup of coffee (with sugar-FREE creamer, yet!) will make them rise like crazy. Everything seems to settle down at lunchtime, though.
  • I love your ideas for snacks! If it's OK with your doctor, you couldd try some exercise in the morning, like taking even a 5-10 minute walk or doing some stretching as part of your morning routine. That might help lower your morning blood sugar numbers. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • LilysMommy2012
    LilysMommy2012 Posts: 24 Member
    I had gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy. I always ate a piece of whole wheat toast or English muffin with peanut butter.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    I struggled for the first 6 months after diagnosis with high morning FBGs. While my A1c dropped to 5.5, i still had fasting numbers above 100. What ended up working for me was
    1. Medications - increasing Metformin dosage from 1000mg/day to 1500 mg/day
    2. Exercise - adding 10-15 minutes of not-particularly strenuous cardio an hour before bedtime. Nothing particularly strenuous but a brief bout of cycling in front of the television, or a stroll through the neighborhood or 1 mile on the elliptical.
    3. Food - I had previosuly experimented with protein (cheese stickor protein shake) or carb+protein (apple w/ almond butter) On the suggestion of another diabetic who had been very successful at achieving tight control, I changed my macros to reflect a high fat, moderate protein, very low carb approach. I lowered my carbs through out the day further (from 50-75 down to 25-50) and had a fat-heavy snack at night ( a "fat bomb", heavy cream+ diet soda, 1/4 c nuts, herbal or rooibos tea w/ coconut oil)

With this combination, my glycogen stores were depleted and my liver was no longer dumping glucose overnight. I no longer take metformin, but I have stuck with #2 and #3. My FBGs are now 75-95 and A1c has been 5.1-5.2 for the past 18 months. as a bonus, my lipid panel improved dramatically.
  • javonjay76
    I struggled for the first 6 months after diagnosis with high morning FBGs. While my A1c dropped to 5.5, i still had fasting numbers above 100. What ended up working for me was
    1. Medications - increasing Metformin dosage from 1000mg/day to 1500 mg/day
    2. Exercise - adding 10-15 minutes of not-particularly strenuous cardio an hour before bedtime. Nothing particularly strenuous but a brief bout of cycling in front of the television, or a stroll through the neighborhood or 1 mile on the elliptical.
    3. Food - I had previosuly experimented with protein (cheese stickor protein shake) or carb+protein (apple w/ almond butter) On the suggestion of another diabetic who had been very successful at achieving tight control, I changed my macros to reflect a high fat, moderate protein, very low carb approach. I lowered my carbs through out the day further (from 50-75 down to 25-50) and had a fat-heavy snack at night ( a "fat bomb", heavy cream+ diet soda, 1/4 c nuts, herbal or rooibos tea w/ coconut oil)

With this combination, my glycogen stores were depleted and my liver was no longer dumping glucose overnight. I no longer take metformin, but I have stuck with #2 and #3. My FBGs are now 75-95 and A1c has been 5.1-5.2 for the past 18 months. as a bonus, my lipid panel improved dramatically.

Awesome suggestion! I'm going to try it all together. Most days I try one then another and a third but nothing seems to make an impact.

So, I'm waiting on a new meter to come in the mail. Then I'm going to try all three suggestions. I workout during my lunchtime at work for 30 min but I'm up for trying all three suggestions at the same time. Can't hurt!