For me, *this* is why WEIGHTS over CARDIO is KEY!

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,920 Member
    Thank you all! My husband, too, for YEARS begged me to go to the weight-side-of-the-gym. When I FINALLY did, he ended up choosing to train for triathlon, so he's back on the cardio side of the gym.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Mind you, I don't really care one whit because:

a) we go to the gym at different times; and
    b) I REALLY like how my body looks these days!! I'm totally cool with spending my precious exercise time on weights vs cardio in a 3:1 (sometimes 4:1!!) ratio.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Great transforming. Well done!
  • Bayluvr
    Bayluvr Posts: 115 Member
    This is what I want, but alas...it can never be (at least not while I am prohibited from lifting more than 10 lbs). All I am allowed to do is cardio, and that is limited to recumbent bike and swimming (can't swim).

But I have lost 76 lbs since Feb 2013 eating at a deficit, and riding away on the recumbent bike. I look like a bag of skin and bones (under my clothes), but it was well worth it...maybe (hope I didn't do too much damage).

Following an up and coming back surgery, maybe I'll be able to graduate to lifting something greater than a frying pan :)

You look marvelous! Congrats!!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Beeps - you look so awesome! I love these weights over cardio posts!
  • Beeps2011
    Bayluvr - I had a surgery in late August, 2013 that put me out of commission for awhile, too....but, as soon as I was cleared to go back to weight-lifting, I did!

BOOM!

I am feeling very happy with my "transformation"....as it turns out, I've adopted a Venus lifestyle and that suits me just fine!
  • Bayluvr
    Bayluvr Posts: 115 Member
    Bayluvr - I had a surgery in late August, 2013 that put me out of commission for awhile, too....but, as soon as I was cleared to go back to weight-lifting, I did!

BOOM!

I am feeling very happy with my "transformation"....as it turns out, I've adopted a Venus lifestyle and that suits me just fine!

I fractured my spine, so weights have been out of the question for awhile. Hopefully, I will be able to lift in the future. There are other issues also, but I am being optimistic :) I soooo want to be able to lift, and seeing your post (and others) just keeps me determined!

Glad you've recovered from your surgery and are able to continue your lifestyle. Wonderful job!!
  • ironchick84
    ironchick84 Posts: 27 Member
    Bump
  • skruser99
    skruser99 Posts: 5 Member
    Awesome stats! Thanks!
  • Beeps2011
    Thanks!

If you came here from page 1, to reply, please note that my "update" pictures are on page 10 of this thread....

Just keepin' it real (and transparent!)

BOOM!
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    BUMP!
  • Thanks for posting this thread. I am going to definitely look into lifting weights. WOW! This is great. Thank you!!!!!
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Yet again...MORE inspiration to hit the weights!!! I just wish I could afford a trainer to MAKE me do it!!! I've become so lazy over the last few months! I need to just DO IT!!! :bigsmile:
  • Trissyboo
    Trissyboo Posts: 69 Member
    Amazing! So proud of you
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    I've only been lifting a short while--and I'm in total agreement. But what the pictures don't show is how much easier everything you do every day is! Even before anyone else can see a difference. And it's three times a week for better results than 7 times a week cardio only! AND I can STILL run the 10 minute mile when I don't practice running but only lift (I'm 48 and active otherwise--am thrilled to use my old cardio time to work in the yard or ride my horse). Yeah, I'm proud of a 10 minute mile. Guess I'm not a runner. Thing is, I expect to be able to improve it as I lose this weight and add to my fitness--wasn't improving it after YEARS of cardio, and still got sore after a day in the flower bed--don't get sore anymore. AND my bowling is improving! AND my riding is improving!
  • You are awesome! Thank you so much for posting your original pics and your update pictures. I'm a 43-year old mom with hips like yours, and you have given a huge amount of hope this morning!
  • BeckyGee84
    BeckyGee84 Posts: 124 Member
    You look awesome!!! I was a cardio bunny until recently. I've finally started lifting more days of the week than doing cardio. I've lost a few inches already and can't wait to see what I look like in a year or so.
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Whoa!! Free weights make me nervous, not sure why. Probably because that's where the beefy men are in my gym and I find them a little intimidating. I should have someone show me what to do ... and I'll get over the nerves, because you look fan-freakin-tastic and I want to also!
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    But what the pictures don't show is how much easier everything you do every day is! Even before anyone else can see a difference.
    100% this ^

Great achievement, OP! :flowerforyou:
  • Wow!!! :drinker:
  • SuperJo1972
    SuperJo1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Here are the routines I followed, over the last 21 months, from start-to-finish:

1. NROL4Women
    2. NROL4Abs
    3. NROL4Life
    4. Venus Index
    5. Strong Curves + Venus Factor, switching on-off
    6. Venus Advanced Series

You are such an inspiration to those of us looking into starting serious strength training.
    The transformation is amazing! You look strength and healthy. Way to go!

Thanks for listing your reference books, sometimes it is hard to know where to start. :o)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!