Biggest Loser Finale

Replies

• SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Seriously? Someone is 50-100 pounds overweight and no one bats an eye, because this is America where everyone is overweight. But you get 1 point below a normal BMI and everyone loses their minds.

You can't please them when you're obese and you can't please them when you're too skinny.

^^^So true, people need to leave this girl alone already. I think she looks great & good for her for losing the weight. The pictures of her going around look like they have been altered to make her look old and sickly.
  • mistylynn1981
    mistylynn1981 Posts: 4 Member
    I'll be honest I'm envious of her. I had gastric bypass in 2007 and developed bulimia w/ restricting 6 month after. So this may be disorted thinking but id give anything to be a size 2. I lost 118 lbs but regained 35 after an illness left me paralyzed for 4.5 months and spent almost 14 months in a nursing home. I never lost all my weight I wanted to lose then to regain really flared my ED. I've been in recovery for 8 weeks now and trying to do this weight loss thing the right way but its hard and some days its easier to just not eat mentally. Now I know logically I wouldn't look good at 105 lbs but would I be happy if I could get there? Sure thing.
  • jamesalytle
    jamesalytle Posts: 112 Member
    I think Rachel was the only one who shocked me. At first I thought hold up this is sending a very wrong message. Then I got to thinking about it and first and foremost it's a game and if she had the will power to go from where she was to where she is just for the money, hat's off to her. With that kind of will power she should be able to maintain a healthy weight moving forward. Congrats on the win but damn I sure hope we don't have a dramatic reveal like that again lol
  • ironchick84
    ironchick84 Posts: 27 Member
    Bump...going to check this out on hulu in the morning.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    You know what's truly funny?

Biggest Loser has been promoting unsafe, unrealistic, extreme weigh loss tactics all along, but no one seemed to care until someone started LOOKING unhealthy.
    No one gave a s^hit about all the vomiting because of physical exhaustion, the incredibly low calorie diets, etc. That chick who won did it the same way everyone else did, she just did it a little bit longer.

I am just saying, no one took offense to her drastic methods until the results were showing on her body.

Good points made there.
  • You know what's truly funny?

Biggest Loser has been promoting unsafe, unrealistic, extreme weigh loss tactics all along, but no one seemed to care until someone started LOOKING unhealthy.
    No one gave a s^hit about all the vomiting because of physical exhaustion, the incredibly low calorie diets, etc. That chick who won did it the same way everyone else did, she just did it a little bit longer.

I am just saying, no one took offense to her drastic methods until the results were showing on her body.

I agree with this. Those extreme weight loss methods also aren't sustainable. I just hope she's in a healthy place mentally, as well as physically.
  • enkennon
    enkennon Posts: 161 Member
    Yes! Looked really too thin.
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    This was my first year watching the BL. I know they are losing way too fast, but it is cool too see the transformations. Rachel was one of my favorites and I was extremely shocked when I saw her come out. She wasn't just thin, but to me she looked sick. I really just hope she isn't and is healthyand just went overboard for the show, I'd hate for her to go from one eating disorder to another. It's not bmi either, it's how hollow she looked. I felt so sad for her. I am sure she is happy with her winnings and maybe she'll gain a bit of muscle in the future.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
  • I wonder if checking in won't come about from that as well.
  • Another perspective

What if ...just what if she decided to go home and starve only to win the game with plans to go back to her regular workout and eating afterwards?? It is a monetary incentive after all. Many are blaming the show, but she did leave the ranch at a healthy weight and then the trainers don't see them again until the finale.

I didn't watch this season and there was the issue with Jillian giving her team caffeine pills.

The show is not reality and the contestants open themselves up to so much criticism including on board like these. We must remember it is a game and we are not Rachel.
  • maureen_30
    maureen_30 Posts: 18 Member
    Um… I'm a 45 year old mother… :huh:

:wink:
  • We can cast our judgements and thoughts forever, but the fact of the matter is that the Biggest Loser Contenstants are also on their own personal journeys. Too big, too thin, it doesn't matter. I understand when you are on a show such as BL, you are subject to public scrutiny, but I think we on MFP, of all people should know that each journey is individual and I am sad that this woman is being criticized so fervently. Whether or not I think she is healthy, I cannot begin to understand what she is going through because I am not her. I do know that her success and the success of the other contestants is inspiring. I may not want to look like her, but I am not her, and neither are any of us. :-)

Have a great day!

Amen!
  • Naturally_EB
    Naturally_EB Posts: 44 Member
    I just finished watching the show tonight and the look on Jillian's face was priceless! :noway: I personally feel like Rachel is too thin now...She just looks unhealthy. I'll take a curvy/fit body over a skinny one anyday!
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    I don't think her body looks too bad, but her face looks awful. It looks like she's aged 20 years. My co-worker who has an ED thinks Rachel looks pretty. Go figure.
  • I think its not about how she looks, it is how she lost the weight. She ate only 1600 calories a day and worked out 4 times a day. That is excessive. She mentioned she starting working part time to fit her exercise routine. She also talks about taking "control". People with eating disorders use food whether it is too much or too little as a way gain control. Text book warning signs. I honestly do not think it had to do with the money. I think she lost all this weight and kept going. Since there was no supervision, she took matters into her own hands. She is unhealthy and TBL should be concerned. She looks like Karen Carpenter, not someone who is healthy. Her trainer even came out with statement stating her "journey" to get healthy is not complete. They know she needs help.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Personally if they paid ME $250,000 it would not be enough to suffer through one episode of Biggest Loser but it's not just the Biggest Loser or even television. Seen any models lately? They carry zero body fat because they are bulimic, anorexic or drugged. I'm not trying to "skinny shame" but I don't like what the media says to us and our children (especially girls). Rachel and TBL are just symptoms of a larger problem.

Ever watched an old movie? Like a black and white silent film? The women in those movies have realistic bodies and looks.

Don't get me wrong, I support those (like me!) who are overweight and want to be thinner, I just think the emphasis should be on "healthier" not "thinner."
  • TiffytVS
    TiffytVS Posts: 71 Member
    I guess Bob Harper did an interview with Rachel Ray that will air February 13th. In it he says he was "stunned" by Rachel's weight loss and emphasizes that he did not have contact with Rachel after she left the ranch.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/media/biggest-loser-trainer-bob-harper-stunned-when-he-saw-skeletal-winner/2164619
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    You know what's truly funny?

this x1000

ultimately it is a show where skinny people get to torture fat people all in the name of getting skinny and the world watches it for amusement. She took the show to its natural conclusion and when confronted by the result of their preaching the trainers look horrified as if it's never occurred to them. Also realistically she looks like most television and Hollywood stars in terms of weight, but I suppose with Angelina Jolie people kid themselves and say 'she must be one of those lucky ones that never gains a pound'. Is it healthy? No, but in a few years time the woman will write a book about 'How Biggest Loser ruined my life' and she'll sell millions.
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    I actually don't think her body looks too bad but her face looks terrible. She looks like she aged 20 years.