Can I go back to cardio now?

I have been doing weights since the end of December and although I am noticing the results I have put on about 8lbs and I know that isn't all muscle and I am dying to get back to cardio to pull back the weight - I was thinking of maybe 3 weeks of mostly cardio - day 1 cardio, day 2 weights, day 3 rest, day 4 cardio, day 5 weights, day 6 rest day 7 cardio.

What do you think?

And in addition this week I have been really hungry and eating way too much - some good stuff but a lot of rubbish too. I wasn't feeling well for a few days - migraine so couldn't really exercise either - so this week rather than the 5 days at the gym I have had probably 2 1/2 days at the gym. I think I also need a nutritional kick up the ar$e.

Replies

• YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    If you're seeing results with lifting, why should you care what some number on the scale says?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    Either you can eat less or add in come cardio. It all comes down to a caloric deficit or surplus, cardio or no cardio.

That said, if you are not training for any endurance type event I would suggest the weights 3 times/week and the cardio twice. If you are training for an event, then I would dl the 3 cardio and 2 weights.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I guess I have a different question: Who told you NOT to do cardio? Was there a reason you thought you shouldn't or couldn't do it?

I do cardio and lift heavy, so it is possible to do both:) And I like your new 7 day plan, I think it would work well. Good to see 2 planned rest days as well.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Weight lifting is responsible for you eating too much and mostly rubbish, huh? Do what you want. No one benefits from you doing weights but you.
  • hazeljordan1974
    hazeljordan1974 Posts: 107 Member
    I guess I have a different question: Who told you NOT to do cardio? Was there a reason you thought you shouldn't or couldn't do it?
    It just seems everywhere at the moment "lift heavy" and "cardio is not going to give you the body you want" - the trainer at the gym, here, the internet in general.

I miss cardio though, I have to say - I think I am going to mix it up and put some cardio back in there to get rid of some of the extra fat I've got. I know I shouldn't care about the number on the scale but I am worried that I am heading back up...
  • hazeljordan1974
    Weight lifting is responsible for you eating too much and mostly rubbish, huh? Do what you want. No one benefits from you doing weights but you.

No weights aren't responsible for me eating too much rubbish - I think being poorly was (although after weights I could eat a scabby horse!)
  • JaymeBalesFitness
    JaymeBalesFitness Posts: 11 Member
    Fat gain is from your diet, not the weights..... Eat at the right amount of calories for your goal and you will see better results. That being said, one shouldn't only do weights or cardio. A great fitness program combines both, as well as flexibility training. :)

FYI, the weights seems to make you hungry because it revs up your metabolism. Eat plenty of lean protein!
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    why not both? I never understood why we either have to be weightlifters, runners, cross-fitters etc. I love them all and do what I feel like doing! Sometimes at the gym, I weigh-lift then hit the track. Other days I hit the machines and look at the treadmills with contempt. lol
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Add the cardio - if you enjoy cardio, keep it in the mix .
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,420 Member
    Great job on your weight loss so far! I've seen a lot of fitness trends over the last thirty years, and lift heavy is the current one. I think you should just do what you want and like - you've had success so far :-)
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    It just seems everywhere at the moment "lift heavy" and "cardio is not going to give you the body you want" - the trainer at the gym, here, the internet in general.

I miss cardio though, I have to say - I think I am going to mix it up and put some cardio back in there to get rid of some of the extra fat I've got. I know I shouldn't care about the number on the scale but I am worried that I am heading back up...

I think they probably meant cardio ALONE isn't going to give you the body you want. Keep it in the mix, I know its good for my mind to just get on the elliptical and go for a while. Best of luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    I'm in the 'do both' camp. I lift once a week (twice when I can fit it in but that's rare) and am also training for a half marathon so running & cross training and the occasional swim on a rest day.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

That's because the lifting zealots have a nice simple message that can be captured in two words followed by some bangs

It's more difficult to be convey "meh, what you need is a balanced exercise regime that supports your goals and complements your diet" in a nice simple punchline.

It's not a question of one or the other. Do resistance training and CV work, and take responsibility for your food consumption. Nobody is forcing you to eat badly and it doesn't really matter what phys you do if you're undermining your progress through poor choces.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Do actually enjoy weight lifting? There are more ways to maintain muscle and increase strength than lifting weights - if you don't want to.

- and yes, do both cardio and some form of strength training.
  • BrunetteWife
    BrunetteWife Posts: 2,108 Member
    It's your body, do what you want. If you enjoy cardio or even if you don't, adding some to your routine will help. I'm team cardio and weights.
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    If you like cardio do cardio and weight training. Your body,therefore you have a say in what you you would like and if you enjoy something why take it away. Cardio benefits your body, just as much as strength training.

If you are trying to build muscle mass than make sure you consume your cardio calories. I believe (I could be wrong, so no one shoot me on this) but woman only need to eat about 100 to 200 surplus in calories to assist in muscle growth.
    Perhaps you can research more and find training that includes cardio and strength or just tell your trainer you want to do both. If he is not on board fire his *kitten* and get someone that will work with your goals in mind.
  • Fat gain is from your diet, not the weights..... Eat at the right amount of calories for your goal and you will see better results. That being said, one shouldn't only do weights or cardio. A great fitness program combines both, as well as flexibility training. :)

FYI, the weights seems to make you hungry because it revs up your metabolism. Eat plenty of lean protein!

This
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member

I think they probably meant cardio ALONE isn't going to give you the body you want. Keep it in the mix, I know its good for my mind to just get on the elliptical and go for a while. Best of luck to you :flowerforyou:

I'm pretty sure that is what most mean. Some people hate cardio and don't do it and still get good results, but a ton of successful people do both. Personally, I love cardio, and I can only say what works for me. I work cardio around my lifting routines. I do cardio on rest days, which is usually biking or walking or (now that I have one) heavy bag work. Too much cardio isn't going to give you the benefits you're seeking, but it will boost results if you do what makes your body feel best. You do need to keep lifting (3-4 days optimal until you reach that point where you're happy with the results, and you can maintain those results in most cases while lifting 2-3 days a week). Cardio for me is generally 20-30 minutes a day 5 days, and 1-2 days of 90 minutes or more on cardio. I don't lift and have 90 minute cardio days simultaneously. And I almost never have a day of just sitting around doing nothing.

Calories are still calories and you have to keep those in check. If you're overeating, you won't see the results from lifting or cardio. You'll be hiding the results with too much body fat.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

Has someone told you that you can't do both? Because, well, you can.
  • hazeljordan1974
    Thank you all for everything you've said - a great deal of "food for thought"
    I do enjoy the weights - I am loving how much stronger I am and how I can actually see some muscles (my arms are taking shape and my thighs are rock hard) but I do think I have been missing out on cardio which really is how I lost the weight.
    I was worried though that just going back to cardio would make me lose all the strength and muscle I have gained over the last few months.

But if I can do both and reap the rewards of both then count me in!

On the food front - I think I am just being greedy and need to rein this in and have a few weeks with a small deficit to get rid of the extra fat I have gained (I imagine of the 8lbs it is probably 6lbs of fat!).