Biggest Loser's Rachel Frederickson's 155 weight loss??

Replies

• craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Jebus...am I the only one on MFP that doesn't watch that show?

Nope,I have no idea who the winner is... I guess I did not miss much! I much appreciate all of my friends here who share their experiences.. thats how I learn and grow... That show isnt realistic at all... We just would love to have the quick results ....

Nope. I don't watch the show, either. The only reason I know about it is because I saw a CNN news story about it at (of all places!) the gym Wednesday! I didn't catch her name but I did catch some of the controversy.

If you think the show causes unrealistic and unhealthy expectations, I agree with you, so stop watching the show! Maybe if enough people do that the producers will get a clue and stop promoting unhealthy choices.

Just a thought.
  • palmirana
    palmirana Posts: 34 Member
    Any expert will tell you that 1 - 2 pounds a week is acceptable anything over that is disaster..

Not when people are extremely obese, they can use large amounts easily and healthily.. but regular weight people shouldn't lose more than that
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Anyone got a shot of jillians shocked face?

Her and Bob were NOT ok with that.

Tonya's face (the girl behind Jillian) is even better!

Omg, you're right. Tonya mouthed, "woah," and not in a good way.

Yes, I didn't notice it at first but when I did I couldn't help laughing my @ss off.

As for the topic at hand, Do I think Rachel may have gone overboard? Yes, maybe, we don't know her true stats. For one I've read she's three different heights. We don't know how well she was monitored or her true health stats. Do I think she looks a little unhealthy? Yes. Do I blame her for getting caught up in the hype and money? No.

I do hate the message it sends. My friend's 11 year old (who is already 5'6") stated right after the show that she wants to be as skinny as Rachel. Luckily my friend is on top of it and already lives a healthy lifestyle but how many girls don't have a role model to guide them and now will go to drastic extremes to get as skinny as Rachel? Also, what happens in future seasons? Now the goal will be to beat Rachel's 60% body weight loss. Where will NBC/Biggest Loser draw the line?

I don't think it's fair that Rachel is receiving the back lash that NBC/BL should be receiving. She did an amazing job and deserves to be happy, I just really hope she is in the right mind set and didn't take the unhealthy methods taught to her by BL to the extreme. I hope NBC/BL will take this and change their focus to body fat percentage over scale weight.

Yep. I definitely think it's astounding how NBC/BL is adamantly supporting Rachel's weight loss as if this is a good thing. We're not stupid. We.Can.See.Her. She needs to put on a few pounds, for sure.

I've always enjoyed the BL, but the last few seasons have become less and less enjoyable.

Same here, I haven't been able to get into it like I use to as I've become more educated on unhealthy methods vs. healthy ones. I did DVR this season and didn't even start watching it until all this came out. I'm now part way through and as I watch it, I can see her competitive side coming out and I'm not shocked she took it to the opposite extreme. I also think she looked great as a swimmer, she had a lot more muscle tone and looked healthy.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Anyone got a shot of jillians shocked face?

Her and Bob were NOT ok with that.

Tonya's face (the girl behind Jillian) is even better!

Omg, you're right. Tonya mouthed, "woah," and not in a good way.

Yes, I didn't notice it at first but when I did I couldn't help laughing my @ss off.

As for the topic at hand, Do I think Rachel may have gone overboard? Yes, maybe, we don't know her true stats. For one I've read she's three different heights. We don't know how well she was monitored or her true health stats. Do I think she looks a little unhealthy? Yes. Do I blame her for getting caught up in the hype and money? No.

I do hate the message it sends. My friend's 11 year old (who is already 5'6") stated right after the show that she wants to be as skinny as Rachel. Luckily my friend is on top of it and already lives a healthy lifestyle but how many girls don't have a role model to guide them and now will go to drastic extremes to get as skinny as Rachel? Also, what happens in future seasons? Now the goal will be to beat Rachel's 60% body weight loss. Where will NBC/Biggest Loser draw the line?

I don't think it's fair that Rachel is receiving the back lash that NBC/BL should be receiving. She did an amazing job and deserves to be happy, I just really hope she is in the right mind set and didn't take the unhealthy methods taught to her by BL to the extreme. I hope NBC/BL will take this and change their focus to body fat percentage over scale weight.

Yep. I definitely think it's astounding how NBC/BL is adamantly supporting Rachel's weight loss as if this is a good thing. We're not stupid. We.Can.See.Her. She needs to put on a few pounds, for sure.

I've always enjoyed the BL, but the last few seasons have become less and less enjoyable.

Same here, I haven't been able to get into it like I use to as I've become more educated on unhealthy methods vs. healthy ones. I did DVR this season and didn't even start watching it until all this came out. I'm now part way through and as I watch it, I can see her competitive side coming out and I'm not shocked she took it to the opposite extreme. I also think she looked great as a swimmer, she had a lot more muscle tone and looked healthy.

Yep. I watched it on demand and haven't seen the final episode, just clips from it. She was definitely driven, which I really liked, but this was not what I expected her to do with it.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    I did watch this season and wanted Rachel to win from the beginning. She reminded me of Dani from last season. The difference was that at the finale Dani still looked athletic and Rachel did not. To still beat David this season, she would have had to come to the finale weighing no more than 119 pounds so she didn't need to go to the extreme that she did to win, but the problem is with 3 1/2 months between leaving the ranch and the finale, she didn't know that. I am hoping that now that the show is over, she goes back to the athletic, healthy person that she was the last day on the ranch.

One way to solve this and continue the show would to not allow such a long time between leaving the ranch and the finale. If there truly had been only a month between those things, it would not have allowed for such an extreme weight loss for any of the contestants in that time. And also a visit or two from trainers or someone representing the show in that time might have also been in order. I thought they had done that in the past as I remember Jillian visiting one of the three finalists and that person talking about how they were afraid to eat now that they were at home. I think Jillian told her to relax, eat and have a glass of wine or something like that. There needs to be some education on transitions back to home life. Although, again, it's a game so that period between ranch and finale isn't normal...it is a continuation of trying to win a huge cash prize.

I would love to see her again in a few months looking like she did when she left the ranch. I sincerely hope that is where she is going.
  • Firekeeper66
    Firekeeper66 Posts: 116 Member
    Young women who were previously athletic tend to do well on this show. In my opinion she looked a bit gaunt, but if I were 28 and had a chance at $250K, I would have pushed it too. She can always add some back, and probably will. It really made me rethink my goals, though. Thin is great, but skinny looks icky on women past a certain age.

I agree with this opinion 100%. If I was going for a quarter of a million bucks, I'd get down to 105 lbs. too. Fortunately I'm not.

I personally hope that she takes her quarter million and buys herself a couple of cheeseburgs, a poutine and a beer or two to wash them down and maybe the next time we see her, she'll look a little less gaunt. Still kudos to her for turning her life around and becoming the athlete she was so many years earlier.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    I did watch this season and wanted Rachel to win from the beginning. She reminded me of Dani from last season. The difference was that at the finale Dani still looked athletic and Rachel did not. To still beat David this season, she would have had to come to the finale weighing no more than 119 pounds so she didn't need to go to the extreme that she did to win, but the problem is with 3 1/2 months between leaving the ranch and the finale, she didn't know that. I am hoping that now that the show is over, she goes back to the athletic, healthy person that she was the last day on the ranch.

One way to solve this and continue the show would to not allow such a long time between leaving the ranch and the finale. If there truly had been only a month between those things, it would not have allowed for such an extreme weight loss for any of the contestants in that time. And also a visit or two from trainers or someone representing the show in that time might have also been in order. I thought they had done that in the past as I remember Jillian visiting one of the three finalists and that person talking about how they were afraid to eat now that they were at home. I think Jillian told her to relax, eat and have a glass of wine or something like that. There needs to be some education on transitions back to home life. Although, again, it's a game so that period between ranch and finale isn't normal...it is a continuation of trying to win a huge cash prize.

I would love to see her again in a few months looking like she did when she left the ranch. I sincerely hope that is where she is going.

THIS! Also, Tara is the contestant to whom Jillian had the "eat chocolate, have a drink..." conversation with. I liked her a lot, too. It's like once they get going, they don't know how to transition into normal life again. They should have a transition period, maybe not to be televised, but somebody that the former contestants can talk to in order to learn how to maintain without going overboard. I sincerely hope she gains 20-25 lbs of muscle back. Rachel is only 24...but did look in her mid 30s at the finale.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Why doesn't everybody stop wasting time on this topic?
  • ironchick84
    ironchick84 Posts: 27 Member
    Bump
  • I know there is the argument that it is a game show and that we aren't being kind to Rachel. More or less we didn't want her to be fat but we are critical when she gets skinny. She can't win for losing.

All I can say is this is a show about getting healthy and getting your life back. I commend Rach for working so hard to lose the weight. However, there is a point where skinny is not healthy. She claimed to eat 1600 calories a day, but if she was working out all day she was burning far more than she was eating.

Did she get her life back? In my opinion, she became a slave to lose weight and now she could be dealing with an eating disorder. So that is where I feel she failed. I have a friend who is anorexic and I had to intervene twice in our college years, eating disorders are real and are sneaky. I truly worry for Rachel's health (physical and mental) and hope that now that she has won the show, she will work on getting back to her athletic, healthy weight.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    DIdn't read the entire thread, but she looks like every ballet dancer/model/actress (some of them anyway) out there. Yes, she's a little too thin. I don't think she's dangerously thin and hopefully she stops here or gains enough to be at the low end of a healthy BMI (only 6 lbs btw).

The show is questionable regarding healthy weight loss anyway. It certainly isn't realistic for most people. And honestly, it sets driven contestants up for this. If you keep up with their routine, this is the end result. Put a BMI clause in the future rules. Can't drop below healthy BMI...
  • Marcolter
    Marcolter Posts: 103 Member
    Rachel does not look amazing. She looks like a haggard husk Karen Carpenter wannabe. Her face was prettier fat. Yuk! Get healthy don't get looking like this shell of a woman. She did not win. She is a loser.
  • Cakewalk25
    Cakewalk25 Posts: 71 Member
    I thought she looked very gaunt, especially in the face, which can be attributed to dehydration. They've interviewed past contestants who said that the days before the weigh-in they would engage in super unhealthy practices to get their weight down to as low as possible, like wrapping themselves in plastic and trying to sweat out weight, not drinking any water for days before, and taking laxatives. Dehyration can make you look very sunken and gaunt - if you look at Hugh Jackman at the beginning of the movie Les Miserables he didn't drink water for 3 days before he filmed the opening scene as a prisoner so he would look starved and underweight.

One previous contestant on the Biggest Loser said once the show was over he gained about 15 pounds back just by hydrating himself and that he was urinating blood by the end. I wouldn't be surprised if a week before the finale she did a cleanse so she'd weigh as little as possible at the finale and have a better chance of winning. Hopefully now that the show's ever she'll gain some weight back through hydration and not being on such a stringent diet. Most of the contestants gain at least some weight back so maybe starting off a little bit lower is not a bad thing since it gives you more "insurance weight".
  • I don't know what y'all are looking at but Rachel looks anorexic and has the typical "look" of anorexia when looking at her. Also she went from looking like a fresh faced 24 year old to looking like a 40 year old woman who is trying to look 20 something. She sure is the "biggest loser" looking like that and is unhealthy with a BMI of 18, classifying her as underweight. Yuck.
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    I don't know what y'all are looking at but Rachel looks anorexic and has the typical "look" of anorexia when looking at her. Also she went from looking like a fresh faced 24 year old to looking like a 40 year old woman who is trying to look 20 something. She sure is the "biggest loser" looking like that and is unhealthy with a BMI of 18, classifying her as underweight. Yuck.

+1
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    I haven't watched any of this season, i'd never seen a before picture of the winner. However when i saw her winning moment I personally thought she looked very very thin. If you had asked me her age I would have guessed around 40, I'd never of guessed she's younger than me!
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member

Very excellent points - if you are soooo close to 250K but don't know how close - you are going to do as much as you can to get there. Really, NBC should not be having a 3 1/2 month gap at the end.

If she is athletic, hopefully she will realize that she should "bulk up" now and settle at around 120+
  • It wasn't the total weight loss (which was impressive to say the least)

It was the fact she went from 151lbs from the last weigh in to 105lbs at the finale, in 30days!

If she was still 200+lbs then fair enough... but losing 10lbs a week when you're 130lbs.

Madness.

Lets hope she doesn't have a problem!

From what I read, it wasn't 30 days, it was 3 1/2 months from the time she left the show and 7 months overall.

Oh, I'm sure i read it was 30days... thats what worried me the most! My mistake.

Imagined her doing something crazy like daily marathons and eating 1000cal! Lol.

What would people put their body through for $250,000...
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    methinks a lot of people here would be all up in arms if this thread was full of people calling someone a loser and yucky because they were a couple pounds overweight according to the BMI...or even quite overweight.....yet its ok to call someone a yucky loser because they're a few pounds underweight? love the double standards.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    methinks a lot of people here would be all up in arms if this thread was full of people calling someone a loser and yucky because they were a couple pounds overweight according to the BMI...or even quite overweight.....yet its ok to call someone a yucky loser because they're a few pounds underweight? love the double standards.

I'm more disgusted by what she is willing to do for money than what she looks like, and I thought I made that clear in my posts. But you can take whatever you want from this thread. If you want to call genuine concern body-shaming so you can justify her behavior, then whatever, no one will be able to convince you otherwise. I personally don't see any double standards here. The public's reaction to the woman that wanted break the world record for being obese, and thereby winning a cash prize (not to mention making money and publicity for her fat-fetish website) was exactly the same.