For the ladies - ever buy smaller clothing for motivation?

Replies

• goalie234
    goalie234 Posts: 97 Member
    I don't buy clothes as motivation, but I have hung onto something from when I was smaller.

Thats what i do too! I hope ill fit into them some day ..
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Love Anthropologie!
    I would just buy the bigger size and have it tailored to fit now. There is no guarantee that losing 10 lbs would make the smaller size fit - you might lose weight in spots other than your stomach area.

I agree with this. I've bought things that were too small and then I either never lost enough weight to wear them or when I did finally lose enough weight, they didn't look good on me or I no longer cared for the style. So if you love the dress, I vote for buying the 8 and having it tailored to fit you right now.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    I haven't bought any full price, but I definitely have a few vintage/consignment finds in one size down that I couldn't resist and can't wait to wear!

My only caution with something that expensive is that you don't know for sure that it will fit well, but if you're a clothes-horse you probably know what brands work for your shape, etc.

I say go for it!
  • missing75
    missing75 Posts: 26 Member
    Yes I have ! When I started -in November- I bought 2 pair of smaller size jeans. I'm now wearing one of them and hopefully wear the other in 3 weeks: for me it's working pretty well... ( levi's jeans: in november 38\36, now 36\36, next one: 34\34, in case you were wondering...)
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    NOO~! I have wasted soo much money on this! you don't know how its going to fit until it does- I cant tell you how many thousands of dollars I wasted on this before I learned to just say NO!
    If you want to buy the 8 and get it tailored- great idea. Otherwise just lose the weight and hope it is still there - but you may be happy when you do that you didn't buy it.
  • I would suggest buying something cheaper in the next size down. You may lose your weight in a different place and it might look a bit off. I would buy the 8 and have it tailored! You can always have it tailored after you lose the 10 pounds! :smile:
  • TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    I've got my "one day" jeans that I used to wear when I was in my late 20s (I'm now 52) and "one day" I'll get in them again - they might even be back in fashion by then :bigsmile:
  • kimkay1985
    kimkay1985 Posts: 73 Member
    I say buy it! I have a smaller size jeans that I use as motivation.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    I used to do that in High School and then I ended up with a closet full of clothes that do not fit.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I was all set to say no, but you are probably closer than you think to fitting in it. I'd say go for it since you know how it fits and should be able to estimate that it will fit as you slim down. What I don't understand is being a size 14 and buying a 6 for motivation. I had a bunch of really nice classic suits for work that I held on to as I gained weight. Once I shrunk down to fit into them they still didn't look right because even though the size fit the cut no longer did.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I've done it... definitely not for $250 though. More like... $20.
  • TheGirlsATimeBomb
    TheGirlsATimeBomb Posts: 434 Member
    yeah i bought two skirts at a good will, $2 (one size too small) and $3 (two sizes too small) that are too tight, $250, idk if i'd do it unless i REALLY REALLY REALLY liked it.
  • TChester_05
    TChester_05 Posts: 83 Member
    I have a favorite jeans brand that are currently on sale so instead of buying them in the size I wear now I just bought them (today at lunch) one size smaller. I'm taking a baby step of confidence that I will at a minimum make it to that size soon!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    I did...6 years ago. Now that it finally fits, I don't like it.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    I didn't buy anything smaller but i kept some tops and jeans from when i used to be smaller. They're actually too big for me now.
  • Joji_Bean
    Joji_Bean Posts: 18 Member
    Actually, I do this for convenience! In fact I'm wearing a size 12 jeans right now that I bought about 6 months ago that were way too small for me at that time...because I new one day my bigger jeans would no longer fit. I just bought a pair of size 10 pants yesterday because the 12's were too big...the 10's were just a bit too snug...but hey, they were on sale and will fit in no time :) If you have the money, I say go for it!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Yes, I have. I really liked some shirts and I didn't know when I'd see those again so I bought them. I also did that for two pairs of jeans, one of which I can wear now! Thank you, squat challenge.

I also have clothes from when I was at my goal size.
  • JulieGirl58
    JulieGirl58 Posts: 158 Member
    I do this occasionally but not to the tune of $250.00.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    No, because what would probably happen is I wouldn't fit into the piece of clothing in a timely manner and I would just get frustrated.
  • synapse0782
    synapse0782 Posts: 25 Member
    I find the best motivator for me is: when I feel good in the clothes that fit me now. Having a closet full of clothes that don't fit depresses me. If I'm walking around feeling great about myself, I'm more likely to go running that day, eat right, etc. So if this were me, I'd buy the bigger size, have it tailored, and enjoy the dress.