New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

bdubya55
bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
Welcome to the Type 2 Diabetes Support Group! :smile:

Hi, my name is Bob. I'm living a happy, healthy and complication free lifestyle since my T2 diagnosis in 1982.

I'm treating my T2D condition with Lantus long acting insulin, Metformin 2x/day, along with Novolog mealtime insulin to cover my mealtime carbohydrates. It's also important for me to incorporate a weekly exercise routine whenever possible-to help me reduce the insulin resistance issues associated with having Type 2 diabetes.

Have a look around the various thread topics within this group, and ask questions when you feel comfortable. There are many kind, supportive and knowledgeable members of this group eager to share their experiences with you on what works for them-and what hasn't worked for them too.

Sharing your contributions and experiences with this very supportive community is strongly encouraged and warmly welcomed.

One of the foremost frustrating issues living with a condition of diabetes is, each of us is unique in how we approach the management of this condition. From the medications we take, our food choices, blood sugar management goals each of us has-and how the food and exercise choices we make effect our individualistic blood sugar target and management goals-just to name a few.

The good news is, the myftinesspal program, when applied honestly and correctly is a powerful tool, to help you reach for your goals, by tracking the food choices you make and how those choices effect your blood sugar testing results.

If you're newly diagnosed-I strongly encourage you to seek out the recommendation of a diabetes education course in your area-from your healthcare provider, as many newly diagnosed with this condition find them to be very beneficial.

Best wishes for your good health and success!

Replies

• Shannon3n88
    Shannon3n88 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi! I'm Shannon. T2 diagnosed in 2007. Now treating with Lantus at night (beginner's dose of 15 units), plus Metformin 2000/day. I live in northeastern Kentucky, spend too much time on computer/at my desk throughout the day - need to start walking my overweight dog for both our sakes!
  • bdubya55
    Hi Shannon, welcome to the Type 2 Diabetes Support Group!

This is an amazing group, eager to help each other out by sharing our experiences on what works and what doesn't.

I've found the MyFitnessPal program to be a great tool to help me gain tighter control over my blood sugars.

I'm living in SW Ohio and can't wait for winter to be over!

Nice to meet you!
  • morn1ngstarr
    morn1ngstarr Posts: 27 Member
    HI, My name is Linda,, T2 diabetic since about 2005. No real luck in keeping it under control with typical prescribed meds.
    I refused to eat till it was in normal ranges and it became too hard to deal with. So i just ignored it for a long time since whatever i was doing was not working it just kept going up and up.

Recently I found a Dr willing to listen to me. And took the time to see what I was eating what meds I had tried in the past and taking now.. She took me off all my diabetic meds and restarted from the beginning 45 days later.. ( My AIC was lower off the meds, but still not good enough) She tried other meds same result .. my blood sugars again started to go up. I again stopped the meds and it came down but still not enough.

On a new med.. Victoza.. I haven't seen my blood sugars this low in years.. the first time i saw 119 ... it scared me.. LOL.
    I didn't dare go to bed.. I didn't know if it was safe, if I was going to sleep, what if it goes lower.. So no one to call, I just decided to eat a half a peanut butter sandwich to be safe. I still have much to learn and weight to lose.. making better food choices and exercising are part of this life change, now that I feel I am not beating my head up against a brick wall..

My Dr says 30 carbs per meal and 15 per snack is best..I am doing my best to stay in those guidelines but finding it hard to get up to my Calorie goal.. I have lost some weight.. I don't feel hungry but keep hearing about starvation mode. I am here to learn from you all and be your cheerleader too. Any advice you have will be appreciated and friendships always welcome..
  • vsechrist
    vsechrist Posts: 1 Member
    Hello, I have type 2 and trying to lose weight and control my diabetes and low my meds.
  • bdubya55
    HI, My name is Linda,, T2 diabetic since about 2005. No real luck in keeping it under control with typical prescribed meds.
    I refused to eat till it was in normal ranges and it became too hard to deal with. So i just ignored it for a long time since whatever i was doing was not working it just kept going up and up.

Recently I found a Dr willing to listen to me. And took the time to see what I was eating what meds I had tried in the past and taking now.. She took me off all my diabetic meds and restarted from the beginning 45 days later.. ( My AIC was lower off the meds, but still not good enough) She tried other meds same result .. my blood sugars again started to go up. I again stopped the meds and it came down but still not enough.

On a new med.. Victoza.. I haven't seen my blood sugars this low in years.. the first time i saw 119 ... it scared me.. LOL.
    I didn't dare go to bed.. I didn't know if it was safe, if I was going to sleep, what if it goes lower.. So no one to call, I just decided to eat a half a peanut butter sandwich to be safe. I still have much to learn and weight to lose.. making better food choices and exercising are part of this life change, now that I feel I am not beating my head up against a brick wall..

My Dr says 30 carbs per meal and 15 per snack is best..I am doing my best to stay in those guidelines but finding it hard to get up to my Calorie goal.. I have lost some weight.. I don't feel hungry but keep hearing about starvation mode. I am here to learn from you all and be your cheerleader too. Any advice you have will be appreciated and friendships always welcome..

Hi Linda, nice to meet you. Welcome!

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I too would avoid eating due to higher numbers in the past so I can empathize with that approach, albeit not sustainable for me either. Oftentimes our avoidance with an issue can be not the best choice either.

Glad to hear you've found someone willing to listen to your unique issues and work with you offering a fresh new approach and new meds too. It seems the Victoza you've been prescribed is working for you and improving your numbers. 119, that's great!

I can empathize with your fear of going too low after going to bed, as I live alone too. I'm not familiar with Victoza and it's action, although would recommend testing before bedtime, record your result, and test again during the night, recording that result also and communicating that result with your Dr. if you're experiencing a true clinical low (<70md/dL(US)) reaction. If so, an adjustment to your meds will be necessary.

Additionally, having a fast acting (15g) carb, by your bedside, such as some Glucotabs, jellybeans or another small amount of carbs is a good habit to correct in an event of a hypo (low blood sugar).

If your blood sugars have been high, oftentimes you may feel different as your body adjusts to blood sugar levels coming down to within more normal ranges. That's normal.

It's also great your Dr suggested a meal plan and some guidelines to follow. That's a good starting point. Not sure what your calorie goal is but review those calorie goals to ensure your not eating to little based on those guidelines prescribed.

Adding nuts, cheese, low fat yogurt, peanut butter and other low carb choices help to boost your calorie count.

Congrats on your weight loss success, you're doing great! Keep up the good work!
  • bdubya55
    Hello, I have type 2 and trying to lose weight and control my diabetes and low my meds.

Hi vsechrist!

Welcome! nice to meet you!:drinker:
  • morn1ngstarr
    Thank you for the nice welcome and advice.. Dr did not set calories guidelines.. I will discuss this at my next appointment in 2 weeks. I chose 1200 calories as the goal, but if i meet it.. I tend to go over my Carbs or Fats. Catch 22 there I think.. Which one to follow can drive me a bit crazy..
    I don't feel hungry or deprived as long as I get my coffee ( Creamer) LOL and I made a deal with myself of exercise in some form to get my night coffee. :)
    I do worry with what everyone says about the low cal intake and then when I exercise makes it even harder to reach 1200 even more..
    Like your ideas on the lower carb snacks .. and keeping something at my bedside in case I do have that uneasy feeling again.
    Thanks again ,
    Linda
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    I should worry more about the carbs more than the fat at this point. By reducing carbs the fat and/or protein has to increase to balance the calorie intake, basic math I'm afraid.

A number of members do a low carb high fat diet here. What is low carb to you will depend on how carbs affect your BG. Trial and error here and 'eating to your meter'. See the following site for guidance and talk to your Dr about # calories etc

www.bloodsugar101.com
  • morn1ngstarr
    Good Morning .. Hope this finds you and everyone else having a great day..

Thank you for your advice. Going to look at that website today. ;)
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Hey Linda, are you using an endocrinologist? Have you ever worked with a diabetes educator/nutritionist/dietitian?

I am taking a sister drug to Victoza called Bydureon. Started with Byetta (shots 2x a day) Sept 1, 2012. After 6 months of 'morning sickness' I was switched to Bydureon (once a week shots) and stopped having stomach problems. This medicine has been a life-changer for me. When I started the meds I was taking 1000 mg metformin 2x a day, my fasting BG was high 160s, and my a1c was 7.5 (and I weighed 234). I'm now taking only 500 mg of metformin, my fasting BG is high 80s/low 90s, my last a1c was 5.9, and I weigh 145.

I say all this to let you know I have worked with this class of medication and have a little knowledge - enough to get myself in trouble. But everything I've learned about how to eat, etc. has come from my diabetes educator. She works for the endocrinologist I went to to get help managing my diabetes. She set up for me a meal plan so that I would know how to structure my meals and snacks to work best with the medication. The best advice I could give is to find a professional like that who will be a knowledgeble resource for you. My diabetes educator has been a super help and my biggest cheerleader. If you can work with someone like that, it would really benefit you.
  • morn1ngstarr
    Thank you Cathy,

I didn't see this post till now. I hadn't heard of Bydureon or Byetta. But will surely look them up.. Victoza 1.8mg once a day injection has really been the only thing that has worked on me so far..ranging now 122 every morning instead of 290 blood sugars.

Other meds such as metformin, gliberide.. gliberzide januvia and the last one starlix had my A1C at its highest. 9.8..a big jump from when i wasn't on any meds at all at 7.8 and Drs were not listening to me that it was the meds they just kept raising the dosage and it got higher. It scared me to think I would be following my families path. Insulin and the many complications that go with diabetes.

I moved back to my very small hometown after the divorce..Who i have now is a diabetic educator. She isn't an endocrinologist. Perhaps a nutritionist is my next step, like you said.

I am thankful to you and to the other people here in the group and MFP for your advice and support..
    And WTG Cathy your A1C of 5.9.. and getting your weight under control too.. 145! Woo hoo! Your an inspiration to us all!
  • phenom0217
    phenom0217 Posts: 8 Member
    Greetings! My name is D and I have type 2 diabetes by inheritance. Wasnt aware until 2011 and now I have been working with an endo for a yr and my ac1 improved dramatically. On glimiperide (4 mg a day) and metformin(2000 a day) & having the hardest time losing a lb. I hoping to learn from you all how to eat, lose and maintain a good fasting number. i just learned that i dont eat enough!
  • Hi,

My name is Sandig and I was diagnosed as a Type 2 on Jan 3, 2014. My Hb1AC was 10.4 and my fasting was at 253. I have have since got tne the fasting down to about 100. I've gone on a low carb diet(not drastic though) and in general eating much healthier. In fact, I don't think I've ever eaten this healthy before.

Right now I'm on Metformin 500 mg twice a day. Doc wanted to do do 3 but if I can keep it under control with just 2, I'm not going to do the 3rd pill. My fasting is the highest but it is slowly coming down.

I'm scheduled for bilateral knee surgery in April which I've watied for for many years. So in addition to just getting my helath under control, the wieght loss will help with the rehab. So far since Dec 26 I've lost 19 lbs. Would love to lose another15 or so before the surgery which is doable.

I just bought a manual treadmill and have been trying to evercise each day. With my bad knees it can be difficult sometimes especially sincew the treadmill has a permanently incline. But I'm building up my leg strength daily. Bought a Fitbit and that is helping to keep me motivated also.
  • bdubya55
    Hi there D, welcome to the T2 Diabetic Support Group!

It's great you have an endo now in your corner to help you manage your diabetes. It's also wonderful you're seeing dramatic improvements too. You must be extremely happy with the progress you've made.:drinker:

It's especially challenging living with diabetes to have weight loss goals too. Each of us is unique. It's trial and error and their isn't a perfect diabetic.

In my experience, the MyFitnessPal program is a wonderful tool when applied correctly. It’s been a big help when it comes to pre-planning meal times, how to count and track carbohydrates by logging everything honestly and consistently, and sticking to a plan that’s going to work for me like glue.

Best wishes reaching your goals!
  • bdubya55
    Hi sandign, Welcome!

It's wonderful you've improved your fasting numbers and that they're coming down too. Very commendable. Not an easy task to be sure, and adopting lower carb eating plan is sure to further your progress.

Congrats on your weight loss so far!

Wishing you the best with your upcoming surgery in April, and a quick recovery too! :drinker:
  • Thanks for the support.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Hi all! I was just diagnosed in December so I'm still pretty new to this. I'm on metformin, daily exercise and reduced carbs. I have a repeat A1C scheduled in another month to see if things are moving in the right direction.
  • bdubya55
    Hi there SharonNehring, welcome!:drinker:

This Group is very supportive, encouraging and knowledgeable from their own experiences.

Best wishes for an improved A1c next month! :smile:
  • Hi, I'm Liz. I was diagnosed with T2 in Oct 2012. Currently being treated with Metformin 1000 mg 2 x day and Glipizide 2.5 mg 2 x day. Last blood work in Oct of 2013 showed an A1C of 6.1. I've gained weight recently and have been having a really hard time keeping away from the carbs/sugars.
  • bdubya55
    Hi Liz, I'm Bob, nice to meet you and welcome!

I too am on 1,000mg of Met 2x/day in addition to (MDI-multiple daily injection) insulin therapies and can truly understand the hard time you experience keeping away from carbs, as I love carbs! too. :wink: Using the MFP program though, has helped me tremendously, by pre-planning and logging everything I eat and sticking to it like glue. Not an easy task, to be sure. With determination it can be done.

Have a look around the various threads for what interests you, and when comfortable ask questions, or feel free to contribute your experiences when you feel comfortable.

Best of luck on reaching your goals!