Today is the first day off Metformin

Ok, gang--today I've done it! I stopped talking my Metformin (diabetes med). I had gotten down to 1 pill a day from 2 a day and decided to try to get rid of it completely. My doc said to come off it when I felt ready, and I'm about ready I think.

Still been having lows a couple times a day--which is really aggravating as it makes me have to eat carbs when I don't want to and/or need to just to raise my levels. Not to mention how the lows make me feel like crud.

So, as of today, I'm almost diabetes pill free! I'm going to continue taking a 1/2 a Glimiperide at night, as that seems to keep my morning levels below 100 and that's the only thing that helps with that. So, until I lose some more weight, the Glimiperide will stay.

But, I'm down to 1/2 pill a day from 4 diabetes pills a day 4 months ago today (that's when I joined MFP!). w00t.gif

As long as I can keep my levels under control, I won't need the pills again! (I hope and pray!)

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Ok, gang--today I've done it! I stopped talking my Metformin (diabetes med). I had gotten down to 1 pill a day from 2 a day and decided to try to get rid of it completely. My doc said to come off it when I felt ready, and I'm about ready I think.

Still been having lows a couple times a day--which is really aggravating as it makes me have to eat carbs when I don't want to and/or need to just to raise my levels. Not to mention how the lows make me feel like crud.

So, as of today, I'm almost diabetes pill free! I'm going to continue taking a 1/2 a Glimiperide at night, as that seems to keep my morning levels below 100 and that's the only thing that helps with that. So, until I lose some more weight, the Glimiperide will stay.

But, I'm down to 1/2 pill a day from 4 diabetes pills a day 4 months ago today (that's when I joined MFP!). w00t.gif

As long as I can keep my levels under control, I won't need the pills again! (I hope and pray!)
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    WOOOHOOO!!!!
  • kleimola
    kleimola Posts: 210 Member
    That is awesome! I am so excited for you!
  • SkinnyMama
    SkinnyMama Posts: 146
    That is so cool! I am a type one diabetic, so I can sympethize with the "crud feeling" of the lows and highs. I wish I could get rid of my insulin, but I'm affraid that is a whole different ball game. Way to go and keep up the good work, your body is going to thank you for years to come:happy: :flowerforyou: :happy:
  • shorerider
    That is so cool! I am a type one diabetic, so I can sympethize with the "crud feeling" of the lows and highs. I wish I could get rid of my insulin, but I'm affraid that is a whole different ball game. Way to go and keep up the good work, your body is going to thank you for years to come:happy: :flowerforyou: :happy:

Thankfully, the issue of insulin was always in my court, and I was very close to having to take it to control my levels. That's the main reason I decided to finally stop being stupid and get healthy!
  • SkinnyMama
    SkinnyMama Posts: 146

Thankfully, the issue of insulin was always in my court, and I was very close to having to take it to control my levels. That's the main reason I decided to finally stop being stupid and get healthy!

Yeah, I would love to be able to make my diabetes go away. Even with type 1 though, it is so much better when I am fit and healthy! That is one of the main reasons that I am on this site. I hate the idea of all the problems I could have when I get older if I do not keep my levels under control. To be honest it is scary!! Here's to living life with a lot less of the "crud feeling":wink: !
  • shorerider
    Here's to living life with a lot less of the "crud feeling":wink: !

:drinker: :drinker:

Got that right!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    That is awesome!! Good for you!
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Take this Diabetes!!!

explosion.png
  • shorerider
    Take this Diabetes!!!

explosion.png

:laugh: :laugh:
  • lsalazarii
    lsalazarii Posts: 144 Member
    That is wonderful... down from 4 pils to 1/2. Just think of the $'s you are saving on prescriptions!!!

You should be REALLY proud of yourself for what you have accomplished:drinker:

Congratulations of your journey to being healthy!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    That my fellow biker, is GREAT news!!!!

Here's to being HEALTHY:drinker: !
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    i want to do that tooooo...:cry: but, my doc keeps telling me "why mess with it if my numbers are so good." i think next time i see him i am going to ask if i can try...pleeessseee...gesh my A1C is always under 6.
    congrats...keep it up.
  • shorerider
    i want to do that tooooo...:cry: but, my doc keeps telling me "why mess with it if my numbers are so good." i think next time i see him i am going to ask if i can try...pleeessseee...gesh my A1C is always under 6.
    congrats...keep it up.

Under 6--that's great! Congrats on keeping your numbers down.

In March, my A1C was 7.8. Three weeks ago, we retested and it was 5.3. That's when she said come off the meds. But that was after reducing the Glimiperade by 1 pill a day already, too. And, at that point, I was having trouble just keeping my levels up so I wasn't walking around bonked on lows all the time.

I think my doc "agreed" to it when she saw how much I had lost and how much I was exercising--that combined with my numbers. As she put it, it looked like I had finally "gotten serious" about controlling my diabetes.

So hang in there--you might be off them before you know it!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    I think this is absolutely a miracle! God has given you the strength to take charge of your life and health, and you are following through with it.

You are an inspiration.:flowerforyou:
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    I think my doc "agreed" to it when she saw how much I had lost and how much I was exercising--that combined with my numbers. As she put it, it looked like I had finally "gotten serious" about controlling my diabetes.

since DX in 6/06 i have lost 75 #s, began running, but, then he said to quit smoking. so did that and gained back 20/25. that's when my #s went down after losing so much weight. it has taken me this long to get the feeling of the smoking out of my system, plus my heart rate doesn't go as high anymore when working out, darn it now i have to work out harder:sad: LOL. i was a mind thing. so getting myself back on track to finish losing this weight. i see him at the end of aug i am going to ask.
    chipper
  • shorerider
    since DX in 6/06 i have lost 75 #s, began running, but, then he said to quit smoking. so did that and gained back 20/25. that's when my #s went down after losing so much weight. it has taken me this long to get the feeling of the smoking out of my system, plus my heart rate doesn't go as high anymore when working out, darn it now i have to work out harder:sad: LOL. i was a mind thing. so getting myself back on track to finish losing this weight. i see him at the end of aug i am going to ask.
    chipper

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.