Too Much Tuna?

So I've been eating a lot of tuna (Starkist Pouches) on my salad for lunch. The other day my husband mentioned I was eating too much mercury. All the research I've found is you're fine, obviously within limits. Well with the lack of information I found for a solid answer, I think I am going to cut it down to 3 times a week instead of 5.
Any suggestions for low fat/ low calories/high protein to replace my tuna with??

I stick to a pretty rigid 1200 cals a day, I also do not always eat the calories burned, but make sure my net is 1200.

Thanks for the help! :smile:

Replies

• tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Ugh, I am right there with you on the too much tuna. I go through 2-3 tuna pouches a week. I just really love tuna. :/

I've started eating more canned sardines, and they are REALLY good. Seriously, they are a super underrated food (albeit smelly), and are one of the best kinds of fish to each in terms of low mercury content.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Canned salmon or chicken breast. When you do eat tuna, get the chunk light, not the albacore. Albacore (white tuna) has three times as much mercury and isn't recommended more than three times a month. Chunk light can be eaten 1-2 times a week for an adult. The salmon, on the other hand, is low on contaminents, is comparable in price, sustainable and high in omega 3. (Probably in calories, too, so check it out.)

Another alternative is to trade your green salad for cottage cheese with fruit mixed in. Lower sugar fruits like grape tomatoes would work well, maybe the wedges of one clementine. Maybe a bag of frozen, grilled chicken breast strips, unbreaded to add to your regular salad. A sliced apple with peanut butter will give you a protein and sugar boost.

This one may not be for you, but I love it - some extra firm tofu cubes.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Boneless skinless chicken breast. Can bake a bunch up in advance and it is just as convenient as tuna for sandwiches/etc.
  • aimroe
    aimroe Posts: 13 Member
    Thanks Everyone for the help/input :smile:

I will try out the tofu! I've also done the boca burgers but they lack the taste.