Loosing weight but worried about future weight loss

Heres my info to start of I'm 30 years old and 5'7". I was 208lbs currently 190lbs. Ive lost 18lbs in about 6 weeks and I have been working on my weight since January 2nd/ 2014.
I am currently not working as my business is closed for the winter season so for the first time in my life I have the time and dedication to do this.
I work out 6 days a week at home. The first 25 days I did an hr/day doing wii fit and now I am currently doing 40 min with biggest loser max cardio, 5-10 min of strength exercises on wii fit and 30 min wii fit free step.

My calorie intake is suppose to be 1200. Everyday since I've been logging (roughly 3 weeks ago) I am not meeting my goal by 500 or more calories. I have been losing weight and aside from feeling fatigue at times I am feeling healthy and energetic. (better then ever acutally)
Should I be concerned?
Ive been reading on here that this may not be helpful for weight loss or healthy for me but I am seeing wonderful results.
I also have no problem with controlling my intake. I am a very strict person and have no problem curbing my appeitie. 98% of my diet is not anything from a can, bottle or box.
I would appreciate any advice ! thanks everyone and keep up the great work!! (:

Replies

• CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    I'm going to follow this thread because it sounds an awful lot like myself!
  • With working out and only eating 700 calories, your body is not getting the proper nutrition. At least try to reach 1200. I know from experience that everything you said, is not sustainable.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Not meeting your goal by 500 or more, meaning you are at 700 or less? Is that including exercise calories or you really are consuming less than 700 cals total? Just curious as your diary isn't open and it isn't clear to me. And it is relevant. Either way it doesn't sound like enough calories for healthy sustained weight loss, but if you are only eating 700 cals and exercising that much your net could possibly be zero. Some people think your net should be 1200 or above, others have different opinions about how exercise calories count and if you should eat them back, etc.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    So many days you are eating around 700 calories and you are working out for an hour everyday? You are for sure going to get results but this is very quick weight loss and as most people will tell you on here it will not stay off when it comes off that quickly. 18lbs in 6 weeks is a lot. Max yo u should really be losing in a week is about 2 lbs since for most people this is something that can maintain. You body needs food to build muscle. The most muscle you have the more you will find you burn calories when you are just sitting around!! Its easier to keep the weight off and maintain.

I am glad you are seeing results and that you are happy with where you are. No one can tell you to change but will you always be able to eat that amount of food and work out 6-7 times a week? I am 5'6 and I started off at 196lbs. I eat around 1400-1500 calories on the days I do not work out (but I do walk dogs for a living so I get exercise) and I eat about 1700-2200 cal on the days I work out. I typically work out 3 or 4 times a week. I have been losing 1.5-2lbs a week like this and have lost 20 lbs.
  • At less than 700 calories, you're not eating enough to get proper nutrition. Your body needs adequate vitamins and minerals to run smoothly. You may continue losing weight, but your health will suffer.
  • jac_84
    jac_84 Posts: 128 Member
    Not meeting your goal by 500 or more, meaning you are at 700 or less? Is that including exercise calories or you really are consuming less than 700 cals total? Just curious as your diary isn't open and it isn't clear to me. And it is relevant. Either way it doesn't sound like enough calories for healthy sustained weight loss, but if you are only eating 700 cals and exercising that much your net could possibly be zero. Some people think your net should be 1200 or above, others have different opinions about how exercise calories count and if you should eat them back, etc.

I will open up my diary
  • jac_84
    So many days you are eating around 700 calories and you are working out for an hour everyday? You are for sure going to get results but this is very quick weight loss and as most people will tell you on here it will not stay off when it comes off that quickly. 18lbs in 6 weeks is a lot. Max yo u should really be losing in a week is about 2 lbs since for most people this is something that can maintain. You body needs food to build muscle. The most muscle you have the more you will find you burn calories when you are just sitting around!! Its easier to keep the weight off and maintain.

I am glad you are seeing results and that you are happy with where you are. No one can tell you to change but will you always be able to eat that amount of food and work out 6-7 times a week? I am 5'6 and I started off at 196lbs. I eat around 1400-1500 calories on the days I do not work out (but I do walk dogs for a living so I get exercise) and I eat about 1700-2200 cal on the days I work out. I typically work out 3 or 4 times a week. I have been losing 1.5-2lbs a week like this and have lost 20 lbs.

thank you for your advice, looks like I need to start increasing my calories and not lose so quickly. More of a "too good to be true" scenerio it sounds like for me!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    You'll certainly lose weight eating 700 calories a day, but it will be very, VERY difficult....if not almost impossible....to keep it off when you get to your goal weight. It's called adaptive thermogenesis- your metabolism slows down when you significantly undereat. With your impaired metabolism, whenever you eat 'normally' you will gain weight. This makes it next to impossible to maintain losses after losing by undereating.

There's a second major problem- it's metabolically easier to use muscle tissue than fat tissue so your body starts catabolizing the muscle you have. You end up at goal weight with low muscle mass (often called skinny fat). Then, when you regain weight you don't get the muscle back as easily, so if you regain to the same weight you are now, you're actually fatter than you started out. It's the classic trap of the yo-yo diet- lose the weight, regain and get fatter. Lose the weight again, regain and get fatter.

Orrrrr.......you could start with a moderate deficit (TDEE-20%) and bypass this whole mess and lose the weight slower and keep it off.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Rapid weight loss is not a bad strategy and the rebound can be avoided if ...( there are many schools of thought on the subject this is just my experience ).... you make sure you keep the nutrients up (this site gives pretty good indicators of Carbs / Protein / Fat). Especially try to keep the protein at the recommended level. You do not want your body targeting muscle as a food source - this is where people rebound (muscle loss in the weight loss causes overall metabolism to lower). Listen to your body if it is asking for food make sure it is not just dehydration and respond to the call! Personally I would also recommend a day around every as frequent as 7 or around 10th day for you to increase your intake with an extra meal worth of calories this could be Pizza or Ice cream or something that you love. This helps with the psychological challenge and helps tells you body that it is not in starvation mode! (PS: Consider taking a multi Vitamin to aid in your nutrition - not replacement for food) - IE Try to get what you need from whole foods preferably ones that you have bought fresh and prepare yourself.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    In, for later.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    EAT.

(and make sure you measure accurately)
  • jac_84
    EAT.

I will. Thank you. I realize what Ive been doing now is not going to pay off in the long run. Starting tomorow im going to start eating more! Thanks everyone for your input!!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    EAT.

I will. Thank you. I realize what Ive been doing now is not going to pay off in the long run. Starting tomorow im going to start eating more! Thanks everyone for your input!!
    YAY.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    are you 500 short after you added your exercise calories or before?

cause you know that eating 700 cals and working out 1h a day is not the same as eating 1300 and logging 600 cals as exercise thus being short by 500 cals