Daily Check-in and Chat

Replies

• jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Happy to report I'm no longer in the "overweight" category according to the BMI. I'm at the highest value of the "normal weight" but I'll take it. It means I'm making progress which is great. I've come to realize that losing weight has less to do with your training and more with your nutrition so I really focused on nutrition this week and lost over 1 lb. Hoping I can keep it up this week.

So I redid week 5 of the program this week using the same weights I used 2 weeks ago. Still enjoying the program. The only thing I miss are regular deadlifts. I think when I'm done with the program I'm going to do another round and substitute some exercises for others. Anyway, hope you all are still sticking with it.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    @jamaicanlady, that is FANTASTIC news! Congrats!!!

Been getting 2 - 3 lower only workouts in & 1- 2 uppers. Still bulking and about to trade my pants in, I think I hear my zipper crying a bit when I pull on it so hard. When I was losing weight I got tired of buying new clothes again & again so skipped a size at the end. Looks like I'll have plenty of room in them to bulk into April at least.

Hope everyone is doing well and thrusting away!
  • That's awesome, good work jamaicanlady!

I'm half way through week 3, and still loving it. I almost think I'll miss this routine once I move to weeks 5-8, hopefully I'll love it just as much. I'm bulking up nicely, wish I could say it was all in my glutes though. :p
  • Citrusgirrl
    Citrusgirrl Posts: 21 Member
    Hey lovelies! It sounds like everyone is doing well :) I'm back at the gym as much as I can be, albeit with heavily modified workouts. Lots of single-leg hip thrusts with a 10kg medicine ball balanced on my pelvis! I read up about training while injured on one side and it can help to prevent strength loss on the injured side to keep training the uninjured one, so I'm doing upper body work too :)

Hope everyone is enjoying it and seeing some benefits. My thighs are shaping up nicely! Ooo, does anyone else use Fitocracy to track workouts? I'm Viking_mama on there if you do :)
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Hello! I finally decided to get a gym membership and I started the beginner program on monday. So far so good, going again tonight! I'm a little unsure if my form was correct for the dumbbell deadlifts and if I was doing them correctly....probably a dumb question but after you first pick up the dumbells do you go all the way back down or just partially? I found the description a little confusing :x (sorry if that wording didn't make sense!)
  • Phoenixsky13
    Phoenixsky13 Posts: 27 Member
    Hi all! I just got back active on mfp in part so that I could track my diet while on the strong curves program. My plan is to complete about 4 weeks of the beginners program and see how that goes. If its working for me I may finish it but Im really interested in the glutes/lower body only program. Im a pear shape and honestly I love it and have no real interest in changing it up lol. I completed day one today and I was a little afraid that it would be too easy on the body because the glute work is all bodyweight but Im at my desk in the office a few hours later and I can definitely feel it in my glutes.
  • Citrusgirrl
    Citrusgirrl Posts: 21 Member
    Auby - You're meant to go all he way down for normal deadlifts, but not Romanian ones. I find the pictures confusing too so tend to youtube things I'm unsure of.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Thanks!
  • Phoenixsky13
    Phoenixsky13 Posts: 27 Member
    Day 2 complete. I'm liking these workouts. They seem easy but my glutes have been aching for the last couple of days so I know something is happening.
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to the group--just got my book today. I started strength training a couple of years ago with NROL4W (finished the program), tried NROL4Abs but didn't love it. Moved on to SL 5x5 which I've liked, but I haven't been consistent enough with it to see huge strength gains. I feel like I need a kick in the butt (literally?) to get my fat loss/body recomp in gear, so I'm planning to try Strong Curves, starting Monday.

One question so far. I'm planning to do the advanced workout. For the Barbell Box Squat, how do you set up? Do you do it in the squat box? How do you get the bar on your shoulders in a seated position? Do you start standing and then sit down with the bar on the first rep? Also, where did you start, weight-wise, in relation to a standard back squat?

Thanks in advance. I'm sure I'll have more questions!

Amanda
  • jamaicanlady
    Thanks ladies! And welcome to all the new ladies!

@gigi & mpeery - I miss bulking. Not sure I did it right tho. I'm sure I ate more junk than good food and so I put on more fat than I should have. Plus I was already fat when I started so maybe it wasn't a good idea. I hope you guys do better with it than I did. I *might* try it again when I get down to a reasonable body fat %.

@Citrus - Happy you've found a way to challenge yourself. The single-leg hip thrusts are no joke and I'm using bodyweight, can't imagine using a 25 lb ball.

@Phoenix - I agree. Sometimes after I finish working out I feel like I didn't do much. But I always feel it the next day, and not just my glutes, even in my back.

@dandelion - Regarding the box squat, I put a bench or the exercise steps behind the rack so that I start by taking the barbell off the rack and putting it on my back, stepping back a little and then squatting down. I went really light with the weight as I always do when I'm doing something for the first time. For example, my highest back squat was 130lbsx5, but for the box squat I started with just the bar and ended at 85 lbs. Feel free to ask all the questions you have, one or more of these lovely ladies will be sure to answer.

AFM, just finished week 6 and still enjoying it, still look forward to going to the gym. Glad everyone seems to be on the same page.
  • dandelion39
    Hi all,
    Well, I did the first Advanced Gluteal Goddess workout today, and I can tell my butt's going to be burning tomorrow. I liked it for the most part, though any new workout feels a bit awkward at first, and after the simplicity of months of StrongLifts, all the equipment maneuvering to superset was kind of annoying. BUT, I'm going to stick with it.

Question: Do you all do ALL the suggested warm-up exercises? I did most, but not all, and not sure I'll stick with these going forward.

Hope you're all having a good Monday, and a good holiday for those of you with the day off.

Amanda
  • dandelion39
    Hi again,
    Second workout down. I skipped a day between A and B--for those of you doing the Advanced workout, are you skipping days between each workout? Seems like he suggests different schedules in different places in the book. I'm so used to skipping a day between lifting sessions, I'm not sure what to do.

I took "before" pictures yesterday, and they were truly horrifying. I really need to lose some fat to let these muscles I've been working on for so long shine through. It's frustrating.

Hope you're all well,
    Amanda
  • dandelion- For box squats I just step out of the rack and sit back onto a bench. I do some of the warm up stuff, but I normally just do my own stretches. As far as working out I normally do A,B, off, A,C. It's what works best with my schedule. My before pictures aren't the best (skinny fat) and the fact that I'm bulking I'm sure my 12 week photos will be interesting too, lol. I plan on doing the program again on a cut my next go around, so hopefully those after pictures I'll be looking leaner with a bigger booty!
  • CountryGirl5402
    CountryGirl5402 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi everyone! I hope it's not too late to join the party.

I restarted the advanced program this week... I had started the beginning of January but I wasn't giving it 100%. I've started eating above my TDEE and I am aiming to lift 5 days a week (2 days on, 1 day off). I was eating below my TDEE my first attempt, and was struggling to make gains. Now that I've had a reality check with myself that I won't gain crazy amounts of BF as long as I am lifting and continue to eat healthily, I plan on killing this round.

I probably won't be doing too much cardio. I don't enjoy it all that much, and I am trying to put on muscle more so than fat loss (although there is definitely fat that needs to go, it just isn't as important to me as getting big and strong right now :wink: ).

So happy to have found you ladies! Today is going to be my first attempt at the Turkish Getup and I'm nervous! Ha...will probably look like an idiot, I wish there was something else to substitute it with... :embarassed:
  • dandelion39
    Hi all--CountryGirl, I started this week, too, so we're probably at about the same place. I'm doing the Advanced program, but this week I did A, B, C with rest/cardio in between. Next week, I'm planning to do AB rest/cardio AC rest/cardio. I have to admit I didn't even try the Turkish Get Up today. I've got to practice it at home before next week's session. I did watch a YouTube video, and it looked a lot more fluid than the multi-picture description in the book did. I'm eating at a deficit, trying to (finally) lose about 10ish lbs of fat. My body really doesn't want to let it go, though!

Anyway, hope the rest of you are well. My butt is sore after these first three workouts...I'm hoping for great results!
  • jamaicanlady
    I only get to workout 3 times a week so it's A-B-C for me. I also don't do much of any cardio. Two of the three days I may do 10 minutes on the treadmill, but that's it and perhaps a 5 minute metabolic finisher.

My goal is purely aesthetic right now. I'd like to have a flat tummy and a nice size booty (not too big but not flat either). Sometimes I don't think the tummy goal is reachable, my tummy is kinda stretched from having a baby. But I'm working towards it and keeping my fingers crossed that it is possible. In terms of the booty, I've already started getting good comments about my "shape" since doing this program. I love it. I wish my tummy would just go already. Like dandelion, I'm about 10 lbs overweight, but mine is all in my stomach.

@Countrygirl, I actually enjoyed the Turkish get up. It's fun to do and everyone will be staring at you (not sure if that's a good or bad thing)

So ladies, I'm experiencing something that I thought I should talk to you about. About 4 weeks ago I started experiencing pain in both knees. I was worried that maybe it was the squats so I went seriously low with the weights (from 130lbs back down to 80 lbs). But then I started thinking maybe that wasn't it. Then I blamed it on the lunges but still had doubts about that too. Then one night it hit me that the pain started when I started phase 2 (week 5). So I started to wonder if maybe hip thrusts could cause knee problems, but kinda doubted that. Anyway, I decided to google it anyway, and lo and behold, Bret himself said on his blog that a few of his clients experienced this and he did also especially when he did Isohold hip thrusts. Apparently hip thrusts put more pressure on the knees than even squats and lunges (!).

He made a few suggestions about how to alleviate the pain, so I'm going to try them and see because I really don't want to give up hip thrusts, they're so great for my butt. So just in case anyone experiences anything like this, blame it on the hip thrusts.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Hi Ladies! Just checking in and catching up. Have been pretty much sticking to my upper/lower splits and doing the Gorgeous Glutes lower body only but sometimes do a beginner full body instead. Weights are continuing upwards so I am hoping under this bulking fluff is sexy muscle. Thinking of bulking until June if my weights keep going up like this. May as well end on a high note before cutting and losing strength. Just not sure if I can mentally handle the squishy muffin top I've developed. This is my first experience bulking and some days I feel so strong, while other days I feel big and disgusting. Doesn't help that I live in a city full of size 00 women.

jamaicanlady so sorry about your knee pain. Are you doing the suggested warm ups and foam rolling? I have old knees with a lot of cartilage loss and have been OK. Sometimes my hips are tight tho and I really need to warm up.

I have not gotten to the Turkish get ups yet but I have done them in the past. I must do them wrong because they don't seem challenging. Should probably video myself doing them and laugh at what I thought was a Turkish get up. I am pretty uncoordinated. Amaze myself I have not dropped a weight on foot yet.

Keep up the good work everyone! Have fun with it!
  • dandelion39
    Hi all,

JL--Good to know about the knee pain. I'm sorry you're dealing with that, but at least you know what's likely causing it. Also, nice to hear that you're seeing results in your shape already!

GiGi--I know what you mean about living in a place where everyone's tiny. I live outside NYC (you're in the city, right?). When I go to other places I feel so much thinner than when I'm home!

I'm glad you both mentioned the Turkish Get-Ups...I've got to remember to practice those at home before attempting in the gym on Thursday...

So, I've just started my second week of the Advanced program--have done A and B so far this week. They were both smoother than the first go-round, and took a bit less time--though I had to cut a bit off the warm-up because I really only have an hour to spend at the gym, and with the full warm-up the workout took about 70 min or more. Last week I did two days of short HIIT cardio in addition to the three lifting days. This week, I'm planning four lifting and one or two cardio—but we'll see how it goes: I tweaked something in my neck/shoulder yesterday, and may have to take a rest day tomorrow if it's not feeling better. Though, I guess running/HIIT wouldn't really hurt it.

Have a great day, all!
  • jellybird
    jellybird Posts: 37 Member
    Hi all - I am on my first week of SC. I've been doing bodyweight HIIT workouts for the past two years along with some Kettlebells workouts and wanted to add in some weight workouts with it. So, here we go!

Did workout A, B, and today a HIIT workout. Tomorrow is C.