Can't lose weight!

Hiya all,
Need some help, advice , reassurance.
So I'm 5'7 at the moment 150lbs, and can't lose weight! At my lowest about 2 years ago was 135lbs following the dukan diet. But until Christmas just gone I was 141lbs and I was happy with that , but it's shot up and won't go down! I run 10k x2 a week, swim for a hour x1 a week and do a yoga class a week. I have about 1200- 1300 cals a day and on days I do exercise I have about 1600cals. I eat healthy , protein, veg, whole wheat carbs . Something's have treats on weeks. But don't go over board.
Can anyone see if I'm doing anything wrong? Surely I should be able to lose weight?

Replies

• VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    Hello! I would say it sounds like you are doing everything right. There are four things I can think of that might help.

1. The most important thing is to measure every single thing you eat, down to mustard and sauces, everything.
    2. Use a heart rate monitor or a different website's estimate for calories you burn - don't log the exercise using the calories that MFP suggests. MFP's estimates of calories burned is almost always too high, sometimes double or triple what you are doing, so look at other websites and get a realistic idea of how many calories you are burning doing various exercises for your weight. If you use MFP's suggestions for calories burned, and then you eat those exercise calories back, you will be eating too many calories back. My weight loss was slow when I was using MFP's calories burned estimates, because I was eating back way too many caloires.
    3. Not sure why, but every time I or my husband have lost weight, we basically lose nothing in the first month, then the weight starts to fall off. Did you just start exercising? There is a lag for some people. Just keep going, and believe. You'll see results.
    4. Are you under stress? Excess cortisol production due to stress can make it impossible to lose weight, so if you are highly stressed, you will see the month or so lag. You'll find that doing the exercise will make your stress level go down, and after 4-6 weeks, you will start losing weight - it will start falling off! But for a heavily stressed person, the first few weeks you exercise, your body is just de-stressing (exercise has been said by the Mayo clinic to be one of the best things against stress, anxiety or depression, and I am living proof of this!). So exercise will get rid of stress and eventually you'll start to lose the weight. Just keep going!

Also, if you want to double check how many calories you should eat, MFP doesn't do a very accurate estimate. Here is a website that a lot of people use, to give you a good idea of how many calories to eat based on your stats, activity level, and goals:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Eat more.
    Lift heavy.
    Youll look like you weigh 135 when you weigh 150.

<my pic is me last night. 5'7" 148lbs
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Firstly, I know the feeling - this weight loss stuff can be very frustrating. Keep at it though and try not to get disheartened.

Have you ever calculated your BMR? This is the minimum amount of calories your body needs to function normally so you shouldn't eat below this amount, regardless of the exercise you do. Done a really quick calculation via http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and your BMR is 1489kcal. I would input this amount into MFP and continue to log food and exercise.

Just as an extra, based on your details and 'light' exercise a week, your TDEE is 2047kcals. This is the number of calories you need to maintain weight based on your BMR and lifestyle. I suggest you visit the website above (and others if you want to get an average) and calculate your TDEE. You can then create a calorie deficit from this and you will lose weight. I find the easiest way is to calculate TDEE and input that into MFP then only log food, not exercise, as TDEE takes into account your lifestyle and exercise.

Remember, MFP method (inputting only BMR) you log food and exercise. TDEE method (inputting TDEE) you only log food.

Hope that makes sense.
  • Thanks for the reply, I weigh everything out on my digital scales, apart from running as I have a app I use my FMP for swimming and yoga. I've been exercising for about 2 years this isn't a new thing. I don't think I'm stressed lol the only thing that stresses me out is the weight thing lol.
    X
  • Thanks for the reply, I weigh everything out on my digital scales, apart from running as I have a app I use my FMP for swimming and yoga. I've been exercising for about 2 years this isn't a new thing. I don't think I'm stressed lol the only thing that stresses me out is the weight thing lol.
    X
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Thanks for the reply, I weigh everything out on my digital scales, apart from running as I have a app I use my FMP for swimming and yoga. I've been exercising for about 2 years this isn't a new thing. I don't think I'm stressed lol the only thing that stresses me out is the weight thing lol.
    X

saw your post... Are your macros set correctly????.... What are you tracking... It is less about the amount of calories today and more about the quality of the calories....
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Eee...

How long have you been logging your food? How active are you outside of your exercise? Do you have your food diary filled out and can you open it to the public?

I've been logging my food on and off for about 2 years. I write down everything I eat and log it. Many days I miss something I ate.

Usually it's advised to double down on making sure you are accurate and logging everything. The oil you cook your food in, the snack size candy you had at work, etc.

It's also advisable to only eat back part of your exercise calories.
  • So I've made it public now on my MFP, I'm pretty active outside I exercise , I work in a hospital so always on my feet. I log all my food daily. Looking at what you are all saying I need to up my cals to 1500. Shall I stick to this even on exercise days? Or up it on those days? I wanna get down to 140lbs
    X
  • Hi,

Maintaining the body weight is a big task. For the normal weight: BMI between 18.5 and 24.9 is considered good. If the BMI is between 25 and 29, hen person is considered overweight.

Marco Guizar
    http://www.crunchbase.com/person/marco-guizar
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    So I've made it public now on my MFP, I'm pretty active outside I exercise , I work in a hospital so always on my feet. I log all my food daily. Looking at what you are all saying I need to up my cals to 1500. Shall I stick to this even on exercise days? Or up it on those days? I wanna get down to 140lbs
    X

You lead quite an active lifestyle, with exercising about 4 times a week plus having a fairly active job. You only have 10lbs to lose so you don't need to have a drastic deficit. You should be looking to lose no more than 0.5lb a week in an ideal world so if your TDEE is around 2000kcal, try not to eat fewer than about 1750kcal a day. It is tempting to create a large deficit but you should try to reduce weight slowly for it to be sustained. When I say 1750kcal a day, that is for both training days and rest days as your overall TDEE takes into account your lifestyle (job) and exercise. Eating 1750kcal a day will create a weekly calorie deficit of 1750kcals (3500kcal weekly deficit = 1lb fat loss per week - 3500 / 2 = 1750kcal for 0.5lb loss per week).
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Hi,
    I hope this does not upset you but I know a few people who lost a lot of weight on the dunkan diet and gained it all back and more. You are doing fine, just give your body more time to adjust.
  • I no i have just put it back on not any more then before thank god. I wanna do it right but , I just don't get what I'm doing wrong. X
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,882 Member
    Get a check up and make sure it not something related to hormones. Generally the fix is proper calculation of the food we eat and the energy we burn. Your probably eating a lot more than you think.