Running but no weight training?

Hi guys - I have a quick question that has probably been asked before. I run about 3 miles 5 times a week, and do some quick planks/pushups/sit-ups afterwards (usually). I just read an article that weight-lifting is what tones you and makes you lose fat while cardio does nothing other than burn some calories.

I really enjoy running so I just wanted to know if running is sufficient enough....doesn't running tone as well as burn calories? I tried weight lifting but I just became ravenous and ate more calories than my allotted calories. Also, I don't really have easy access to weights anymore.

Let me know what you guys think!!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Hi guys - I have a quick question that has probably been asked before. I run about 3 miles 5 times a week, and do some quick planks/pushups/sit-ups afterwards (usually). I just read an article that weight-lifting is what tones you and makes you lose fat while cardio does nothing other than burn some calories.

I really enjoy running so I just wanted to know if running is sufficient enough....doesn't running tone as well as burn calories? I tried weight lifting but I just became ravenous and ate more calories than my allotted calories. Also, I don't really have easy access to weights anymore.

running isn't going to make you "tone" up...this is pretty much correct...running burns calories...and it's also very good for your cardiovascular fitness and endurance...but cardio work is just weight lifting for your heart and cardiovascular system. To "tone" you need to be doing some kind of resistance work...it doesn't necessarily have to be weight training...it can be body weight training. But to get optimal results you need to work on a program that hits your full body and provides for progressive loading as you advance.

I would personally suggest keeping with your runs 3-5 days per week and doing a good resistance program full body 3x weekly.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    I lost 70 pounds doing nothing but running, but now I am adding in weight training to lower my body fat percentage. Also, you should switch up your runs. Do some slow, long runs and some short speedy ones. This will do wonders for your endurance, and also makes things more interesting.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Running will tone your legs. Very slightly tho, you prolly won't notice much difference, if any. It does nothing for upper body muscles. Running also makes you lose fat, by burning calories. So as weight training. Only difference is that weight training also makes you look toned by building muscle. Sof if your goal is to lose fat then running is sufficient enough. But if you wanna build muscle to shape your body, not just get skinny, then you will need to lift or do some type of strength training. Body weight training works too, you don't need weights and gym.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Try sprinting.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Running will tone your legs. Very slightly tho, you prolly won't notice much difference, if any. It does nothing for upper body muscles. Running also makes you lose fat, by burning calories. So as weight training. Only difference is that weight training also makes you look toned by building muscle. Sof if your goal is to lose fat then running is sufficient enough. But if you wanna build muscle to shape your body, not just get skinny, then you will need to lift or do some type of strength training. Body weight training works too, you don't need weights and gym.

Lifting in a deficit doesn't BUILD muscle, it helps to MAINTAIN it, so when you've shed the fat through your deficit you still have sufficient muscle mass. This is how "tone" is optimally achieved.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    I lost 70 pounds doing nothing but running, but now I am adding in weight training to lower my body fat percentage. Also, you should switch up your runs. Do some slow, long runs and some short speedy ones. This will do wonders for your endurance, and also makes things more interesting.

This

incidently the lifting will help with the running.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    6c659eab-adae-4f09-8c0b-ba2863c81966_zpsfa4cabc3.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I would also add that "toning" is largely a bi-product of shedding fat and revealing the muscle underneath. To preserve that muscle while you are dieting, you really need to do resistance training of some sort...without it, you are going to burn fat and muscle...with it you will still likely burn some muscle but it will be far less than it otherwise would be. Retaining your muscle mass is critical to maintaining your metabolism...the more LBM you have, the faster your metabolism will be...plus, you look awesome and "toned" when you're done cutting the fat.

Once again, I would highly recommend that you continue running (or whatever other cardiovascular work you enjoy) and incorporate some kind of resistance work as well. The resistance work will also help you as a runner. I'm a cycling enthusiast (don't quite consider myself a true cyclist at this point) and that's my primary form of exercise...but I do a heavy strength training routine that is full body 2x weekly at the moment...3x weekly when I'm not actually training for an event. It has greatly improved my body comp and has really helped me ride better.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member

That article like so much in the fitness world is full of half truths.

Running can be enough to lose fat. If you have a decent amount of muscle underneath already, you will look more "tone" when you lose the fat covering it. If you don't then you will just be smaller. Supplementing your running with some full body strength training 2x a week would make for a solid well rounded fitness program. You also don't need access to weights, you can do plenty with your own bodyweight.

Also when you strength train with any decent intensity, yes your appetite is going to grow, but that's not really a bad thing because your body is spending a lot of energy to move the weight, but also repair itself.
  • Azdak

That article like so much in the fitness world is full of half truths.

Running can be enough to lose fat. If you have a decent amount of muscle underneath already, you will look more "tone" when you lose the fat covering it. If you don't then you will just be smaller. Supplementing your running with some full body strength training 2x a week would make for a solid well rounded fitness program. You also don't need access to weights, you can do plenty with your own bodyweight.

Also when you strength train with any decent intensity, yes your appetite is going to grow, but that's not really a bad thing because your body is spending a lot of energy to move the weight, but also repair itself.

And it 's not like you can't do things to control your appetite, nor does it mean the effect is permanent.

Agree 100% with the "2x a week" recommendation BTW.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,453 Member
    A former client of mine who used to run 7 miles a day:

a0ecfc5c-b48d-4a49-a9b3-844a6ec2fbc6_zps0c9ce435.jpg

Then I introduced her into weight training and she ended up doing a figure contest:

e9403b7c-5a9b-402d-8ebc-e53614afbe89_zps39245183.jpg

Yep weights work.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member

Lifting in a deficit doesn't BUILD muscle, it helps to MAINTAIN it, so when you've shed the fat through your deficit you still have sufficient muscle mass. This is how "tone" is optimally achieved.

^ This.

I run because I love it. I lift because I love what it does for my body. Change up your running too... do some hill repeats and hill sprints. They're good for glutes and legs. When I lost weight with just running and cardio, I lost 60 lbs and 13 lbs of it was lean mass. If I'd been lifting and eating more protein I could have probably kept some of that and wouldn't have to work so hard to put it back on now.
  • Azdak
    A former client of mine who used to run 7 miles a day:

a0ecfc5c-b48d-4a49-a9b3-844a6ec2fbc6_zps0c9ce435.jpg

Then I introduced her into weight training and she ended up doing a figure contest:

e9403b7c-5a9b-402d-8ebc-e53614afbe89_zps39245183.jpg

Yep weights work.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

If you want to enter a figure contest.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Some would say she looks better in the first picture, all depends on what you want to achieve
  • goredguar
    goredguar Posts: 63 Member
    I've been running since October and my legs and butt have definitely become more muscled, and my posture has improved too.

However, that's just my lower half - everything above my hips was not "toned" by running (ie tight legs but loose belly/arms!) Since starting weight lifting those have begun to firm up too, and I'm finding I can run further and faster too (presumably due to muscle growth in the legs).

So if you're looking to "tone" all over, I'd suggest weights for your arms at least.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    <<< Running, with two days of mild strength training per week
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Some would say she looks better in the first picture, all depends on what you want to achieve

That's not the point. OP asked if running was going to change/"tone" her body...an example was given.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    A picture of someone who loses weight and doesn't run compared to someone who does would be more apt, weight lifting increases muscle mass hardly a revelation, there is a a balance between miss puny and miss universe, some don'r care for the woman who looks like a bloke image
  • Hi guys - I have a quick question that has probably been asked before. I run about 3 miles 5 times a week, and do some quick planks/pushups/sit-ups afterwards (usually). I just read an article that weight-lifting is what tones you and makes you lose fat while cardio does nothing other than burn some calories.

Hey! I run about 25 miles per week, and have been running since 2012. Personally did not find that I got "toned" until I started strength training in recent months. I lost about 30 lbs on running alone, but still had a jiggly stomach and my thighs still rubbed together (i.e. I was just "skinny fat"). More recently, I've been doing 2 days per week of New Rules of Lifting for Women (it's a book) on top of my running regime. Since I'm now eating at maintenance, I haven't lost much weight (maybe 2 lbs), but I'm finally starting to get that toned look I was looking for from the increase in muscle mass :-). Good luck!
  • terrance250
    terrance250 Posts: 40 Member
    World champ runner -

tergat.jpg