Saturated fat, eat or don't eat?

once again, confused about all of the contradicting advice.

Do any of you know if it is ok, healthwise, to be eating saturated fat, or do you just need to avoid trans fats?
I'm over 40 now, and pretty much everyone in my family has diabetes. I did not have it as of 5 years ago when my son was born, but I would like to try and avoid it, along with heart disease, and all that other bad stuff.

Have any of you have blood work done that has proved that eating saturated fat was good or bad?
When I had my child, I was 36, and everything checked out great, and I have never cut anything out of my diet. I mean, I have always ate fried chicken, pizza, hamburgers, etc.

Now that I'm 41, I don't know if I should continue to eat that way. What do you guys have to say about that?

Replies

• TeriaShae
    TeriaShae Posts: 144 Member
    Limit saturated fat as much as possible. All fats are not created equal.

This being said:
    Saturated fats: LIMIT
    Trans fat: ABSOLUTELY AVOID (this is crucial)
    Monounsaturated fats: GOOD
    Polyunsaturated fats: GOOD

Sometimes no matter how lean the meats, you just simply cannot cut out all saturated fats and this is okay, just try to limit your intake.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    My personal goal is to eat less than 33% of my total fat as saturated fat. And NO Trans fat ever, if I can help it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

This being said:

Sometimes no matter how lean the meats, you just simply cannot cut out all saturated fats and this is okay, just try to limit your intake.

Saturated fats are pretty important actually...most modern studies are debunking the whole sat fat heart disease myth. Drastically reducing saturated fats has shown to increase incidents of thyroid issues as well as testosterone deficiencies in men.

I'm generally between 15 - 25 grams of saturated fats most days...my cholesterol levels have continued to plummet since starting down my road to health and fitness. I credit a combination of eating a lot of fruit and veg...lots of fiber...and lots of exercise more than whether or not I have a steak or chicken for dinner.

as with pretty much everything OP...moderation, moderation, moderation. Except trans-fats (partially hydrogenated oils)...these are well on there way to being banned completely anyway.
  • TeriaShae
    TeriaShae Posts: 144 Member

This being said:

Saturated fats are pretty important actually...most modern studies are debunking the whole sat fat heart disease myth. Drastically reducing saturated fats has shown to increase incidents of thyroid issues as well as testosterone deficiencies in men.

as with pretty much everything OP...moderation, moderation, moderation. Except trans-fats (partially hydrogenated oils)...these are well on there way to being banned completely anyway.

This may be true, but for me, I have lost a significant amount of weight and I am extremely healthy according to blood work and the doctor. When I first started my weight loss plan, I was told by my family doctor to limit saturated fats.
    Saturated fats are fats that are SOLID at room temperature. Solid fats can be extremely dangerous in the arteries.
    Trans fat is also solid.
    UNsaturated fats protect in blocking the "bad" fats from being able to form into a solid.
    Saturated fats are made up of 24 different fats! However, not all 24 fats are bad! Nevertheless, the majority are! This is why they should be limited.
    Saturated fats raise LDL cholesterol as well.
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    "Saturated fat, eat or don't eat?"

Depends on you. I'm 44. I eat 60% of my calories a day from fat. Butter, whole cream, meat, cheese, olive oil, coconut oil, egg yolks. In September, I was eating about 25% of my calories from fat, 25% from protein and 50% from carbs. My doctor threatened to put me on a statin because my Hdl was low and my triglycerides are high, and my Ldl was running 238. Instead, I replaced my coffee mate creamer with whole cream and added eggs and cheese to my diet every day, and a teaspoon of extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil. My last cholesterol screening was 4 weeks ago. Here are the results.

Hdl 29 -> 42
    Ldl 238 -> 153
    Triglycerides ->425 ->305

I also lost 15 pounds. No exercise, no counting, no measuring.

I go again in 3 weeks. My doc congratulated me on cutting my saturated fats. Doesn't quite believe me when I told her I actually upped them.

4 weeks ago I restricted my carbs to 90g a day (20% of my total 1800 calories a day). I upped my fats from 45% to 60%. I've lost another 9+ pounds. I eat veggies, fruit, the occasional chocolate, the occasional slice of whole grain bread - but no potatoes, rice, pasta, no sugar of any kind except for that chocolate.

While cutting saturated fats may work for some, it doesn't work for me. Will it work for you? Try it both ways, get your cholesterol tested regularly. Find what works for you.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,866 Member

This being said:

This may be true, but for me, I have lost a significant amount of weight and I am extremely healthy according to blood work and the doctor. When I first started my weight loss plan, I was told by my family doctor to limit saturated fats.
    Saturated fats are fats that are SOLID at room temperature. Solid fats can be extremely dangerous in the arteries.
    Trans fat is also solid.
    UNsaturated fats protect in blocking the "bad" fats from being able to form into a solid.
    Saturated fats are made up of 24 different fats! However, not all 24 fats are bad! Nevertheless, the majority are! This is why they should be limited.
    Saturated fats raise LDL cholesterol as well.
    The viscosity of fat has nothing to do with health...even though it might sound legit.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member

If your arteries are room temperature, you have bigger concerns than the types of fat you're eating.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    I have recently gotten blood tests. My previous cholesterol, before these tests and back when I was eating low-fat food, was 205. These days, I am eating 4-5 times the recommended daily maximum for saturated fat (that's 25-35% of my total calories come from saturated fats). I have been eating that way for months now. My total cholesterol dropped to 168. My HDL is good (53) and my trigs are also decent.

The only trans-fat that I consume is the amount that's found naturally in beef or other ruminant meats.

I'm not saying your body will react the same way. But, my body has reacted very positively to eating more fats and increased saturated fat in particular.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    My experience that somewhere in the middle of what everyone is saying is true.

Saturated fats are important to brain function but I consume them in moderation due to various health reasons.

I eat mainly by Dr Weils anti inflammatory pyramid as well as the Mediterranean diet. It works well for me.
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Also, just want to add. My doc ordered a screen for the particle type of LDL. I've got big fluffy ones mostly, not small, sticky ones.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,866 Member
    Here's why saturated fat raises LDL and the reason why saturated fat might not be the concern people think it is.
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/67/5/828.short
    Change in dietary saturated fat intake is correlated with change in mass of large low-density-lipoprotein particles in men
    These data indicate that a high saturated fat intake (especially 14:0 and 16:0) is associated with increased concentrations of larger, cholesterol-enriched LDL and this occurs in association with decreased HL activity.

What this means is that consuming saturated fat alters the density of LDL particles, they become bigger, delivering more total cholesterol to receptors, This may seem like a bad thing and but it's quite the opposite. Inside each LDL lipoprotein is a quantity of cholesterol as well as varying numbers of triglycerides surrounded by phospholipids, which is the shell basically. The basic cause of artery deterioration is the lack of mobility of some LDL particles that become trapped between the cell structure of the arterial walls which then begin to oxidize and calcification begins which is basically hardening of the arteries which results in a chronic inflammation response. The immune system sends out defense mechanisms like macrophages and white blood cells to repair the inflammation, which is the calcification and in doing so creates more area for small dense LDL to again get caught up and start to oxidize, eventually the immune system is over run and the problem intensifies.

Ok, so what has this to do with saturated fat. In the above study you'll see that consuming saturated fat actually influences the liver to replace some of the small LDL with larger ones....basically an LDL with more actual cholesterol in it, but what it doesn't have is the same amount of triglycerides, which is important because they oxidize along with cholesterol on the arterial walls. Anyway, the larger more buoyant LDL particles has less susceptibility to be caught up in our artery wall and are considered less atherogenic.......basically less opportunity for oxidation. And in the quote above it also states that this occurs in association with decreased HL (Hepatic lipase) activity. HL means that it reduces the chances of IDL (Intermediate LDL to be converted to smaller LDL, basically it produces less overall LDL. Now go find out what dietary intervention influences very small dense LDL.

EDIT TO ADD: Saturated fat influences the size of all particles which obviously include HDL, which has been recognized as the good guys. News flash, no cholesterol is bad per se and I guess we could say size matters.
  • gonesquatchin85
    gonesquatchin85 Posts: 8 Member
    people back in the day were eating everything with butter and lard and they weren't dying left and right from heart disease and diabetes. it wasn't until sugar and all these processed carbohydrates were introduced that people started keeling over.
  • Lesa_Sass
    people back in the day were eating everything with butter and lard and they weren't dying left and right from heart disease and diabetes. it wasn't until sugar and all these processed carbohydrates were introduced that people started keeling over.

QFT!
    Food was food, not processed and refined. Cows were not shot up with growth hormones and antibiotics, harmful pesticides were not sprayed over everything and there was no such thing as Monsanto.

People also did not sit all day at a desk for a job and kids went outside to play.

Its funny to me, there are all these things to make life easier for us and it ends up killing us. Now we are trying to go back to the place we were 100 years ago, but with stuff like cars and wifi :wink:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Here's why saturated fat raises LDL and the reason why saturated fat might not be the concern people think it is.
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/67/5/828.short
    Change in dietary saturated fat intake is correlated with change in mass of large low-density-lipoprotein particles in men
    These data indicate that a high saturated fat intake (especially 14:0 and 16:0) is associated with increased concentrations of larger, cholesterol-enriched LDL and this occurs in association with decreased HL activity.

What this means is that consuming saturated fat alters the density of LDL particles, they become bigger, delivering more total cholesterol to receptors, This may seem like a bad thing and but it's quite the opposite. Inside each LDL lipoprotein is a quantity of cholesterol as well as varying numbers of triglycerides surrounded by phospholipids, which is the shell basically. The basic cause of artery deterioration is the lack of mobility of some LDL particles that become trapped between the cell structure of the arterial walls which then begin to oxidize and calcification begins which is basically hardening of the arteries which results in a chronic inflammation response. The immune system sends out defense mechanisms like macrophages and white blood cells to repair the inflammation, which is the calcification and in doing so creates more area for small dense LDL to again get caught up and start to oxidize, eventually the immune system is over run and the problem intensifies.

Ok, so what has this to do with saturated fat. In the above study you'll see that consuming saturated fat actually influences the liver to replace some of the small LDL with larger ones....basically an LDL with more actual cholesterol in it, but what it doesn't have is the same amount of triglycerides, which is important because they oxidize along with cholesterol on the arterial walls. Anyway, the larger more buoyant LDL particles has less susceptibility to be caught up in our artery wall and are considered less atherogenic.......basically less opportunity for oxidation. And in the quote above it also states that this occurs in association with decreased HL (Hepatic lipase) activity. HL means that it reduces the chances of IDL (Intermediate LDL to be converted to smaller LDL, basically it produces less overall LDL. Now go find out what dietary intervention influences very small dense LDL.

EDIT TO ADD: Saturated fat influences the size of all particles which obviously include HDL, which has been recognized as the good guys. News flash, no cholesterol is bad per se and I guess we could say size matters.

awesomeness-seal-1.gif

gifs_of_people_performing_awesome_tricks_03.gif
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    thanks for the information guys. I posted this topic because here recently I was watching the 700 club and they were talking about how the real DEVIL, if you will, is SUGAR, including High frutose corn syrup, and TRANS FATS/Hydrogenated oil. Eliminate or greatly reduce these, and you can actually reverse diabetes and prevent a lot of health issues.
  • Lesa_Sass
    thanks for the information guys. I posted this topic because here recently I was watching the 700 club and they were talking about how the real DEVIL, if you will, is SUGAR, including High frutose corn syrup, and TRANS FATS/Hydrogenated oil. Eliminate or greatly reduce these, and you can actually reverse diabetes and prevent a lot of health issues.

BWHAHAHAHA.....so I guess this thread did not go in the direction you were hoping when you first posted?

Yeah, good luck with that.

Troll on...
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Lesa, what the heck are you talking about? I know you just didn't call me a Troll. Please explain what you are talking about. I posted this for help.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member

people back in the day were eating less of everything and whilst they were not necessarily dying from heart disease and diabetes (some actually did) they did die earlier then people die today. Risks for both increase with weight and age, and as medicine progresses people simply fail to die of other causes first. Sugar is not a 'new' thing and until you qualify what you consider 'processed carbs' I am going to say that bread's not a new thing either. The problem doesn't really lie in what people did or didn't eat, it lies in that they now eat significant more overall then they used.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    A lot of the studies that linked saturated fats with heart conditions found a correlation, but not a causality.

Saturated fats are an area on debate in the nutritional world.

My personal view is to not limit saturated fat in my diet, but instead just make sure I am also getting plenty of unsaturated fats and fatty acids.

Trans fats are not a particular problem in NZ, though I have heard that in other countries you need to make an effort to avoid them.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member

If your arteries are room temperature, you have bigger concerns than the types of fat you're eating.

LOL!