I JUST LIKE EATING THINGS TOO MUCH!!!

That's it...no special emotions connected here. Generally try to eat healthy stuff. Obsessed with sandwiches. Need help sticking to a plan!! It seems every day I just have to 'start over' because the previous day I'm always just so hungry I can't stop eating. This is just a total fail, so I'm just venting I guess. Who knows why I'm posting this. Probably because I'm bored and trying to avoid eating the rest of a sandwich I have in the fridge...

Replies

• bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    I know those feels.

I don't really have emotional issues with food, but I do LOVE food. I consider eating both a skill and a hobby!

I've managed to stay on track without eliminating anything from my diet, but sometimes I do get a little creative with my food choices. I'm lucky enough to like pretty much ALL foods, so finding alternative food choices is never a problem. I eat lots of veggies to add volume to my meals, I read all nutrition labels to find items that best fit my macros, and if I'm eating out at a restaurant (particularly if it's a high-calorie meal), I'll probably leave a portion of my food on the plate. When I order pizza, I go for the thin crust. And if I'm experiencing "boredom hunger" and just want to munch on something, I try to have plenty of low-cal snacks around.

If you have a bad day, don't think of it as starting over. Some days are great and some days are less than ideal, but as long as you're making progress, you're heading in the right direction. Just keep swimming! :smile:
  • pursuitofness
    pursuitofness Posts: 2 Member
    If you would like some suggestions, keep reading. If not and you were just venting--I listened! My biggest suggestion would be to try and get more food with less calories. I just took a quick look at your diary for today. If I had just a 6 in sub for lunch, I'd feel very unsatisfied and looking for more food. But can you have a lower calorie sub and put a big veggie salad or a smaller fruit salad on the side? And instead of a sugared coffee drink with unknown calories, try regular coffee with a splash of non-fat milk and a stevia packet. Then add a single square of dark chocolate. It will be more of a snack and can help trick your mind into feeling like you got more food. When you are feeling hungry, are you craving something specific? If you are hungry enough that you would eat anything (apples, carrots, snap peas, etc) then you are truly hungry. Eat! If you just want your sandwich, try brushing your teeth, chewing some gum, or having a cup of hot tea. Final tip--try not to think of each day as starting over. Just as another opportunity to do well! Good luck : )
  • Jackie_Paper
    Jackie_Paper Posts: 183 Member
    Ah well, yes. Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions. When I say 'oh I'm hungry all the time!' I really do stop and think ..."am I just bored" but usually my stomach's just always growling and hurty so I'm just always chowin down. Indeed, I will just get more random fruits and vegetables around so I just eat those instead.
  • 82jeh
    82jeh Posts: 53 Member
    somtimes i'll find things that are 0 net carbs.... all fiber, i recently re-discovered jicama, it tastes like asian pear but is 100% fiber. and cucumber. filling things that are 0 net calories. yum! :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I'm a huge fan of eating all teh things too.

What's your calorie goal? How much protein are you getting?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

As for sticking to a plan, have you read about IIFYM yet? It allows you to have some treats in the context of a healthy diet as long as they fit your macros. I've found it to be very sustainable. I've been maintaining at or below goal weight using this method for well over a year.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    I'm a huge fan of eating all teh things too.

What's your calorie goal? How much protein are you getting?

^ this.

i like food too. i generally try to eat some every day in fact. that might be a little obsessive for some people, but i'm ok with it.

:wink:
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Beat me to it :flowerforyou: Read the sexy pants and iifym links. Add me to the list of loving all foods ;)
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    I took a look at just a few days of your diary, and I think you're starving because you're hardly eating anything. You have a couple of days where you had 260 calories worth of salad dressing. You know how much food you can get for 260 calories? Not saying you can't work tasty food into your diet, but you need to decide whether you'd rather be hungry or use 1/5 of your daily calorie allotment on salad dressing. You could drop that to 1T and use the rest of the calories on something with more substance.
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    Beat me to it :flowerforyou: Read the sexy pants and iifym links. Add me to the list of loving all foods ;)

^^^ I agree with these ladies. IIFYM really helped me not feel deprived, and I'm happily maintaining below my goal now.

I also echo the question above- what's your calorie goal and protein goal? If you constantly feel hungry, maybe you've set your goal too low/too aggressive? That will make it hard to feel satiated. Making sure that you get enough protein and fat will also help you feel satiated. Adding vegetables will help you feel full, because you can enjoy a lot of volume for minimal calories. Just some thoughts!
  • Jackie_Paper
    Jackie_Paper Posts: 183 Member
    yeah...I have that problem of ridiculous priorities. I know today's diary is a total MESS, I didn't even want to record all that stuff but I made myself do it. I'm aware of what's healthy, and yet I keep eating bad stuff.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    yeah...I have that problem of ridiculous priorities. I know today's diary is a total MESS, I didn't even want to record all that stuff but I made myself do it. I'm aware of what's healthy, and yet I keep eating bad stuff.

There are no bad foods. But if you can limit yourself to what will fit your calories and macros and fill the rest of your day with whole/nutrient dense foods I think you'll have better luck.

Like I might have greek yogurt and a piece of fruit for breakfast, cottage cheese and some raw veggies for lunch, grilled/baked meat, a veggie side, and a carb (like bread or rice) for dinner, and then I'll have room for cookies or ice cream with my remaining calories.

Do you cook at all? That can be extremely helpful. It's much easier when you control the ingredients in your meals.

eta: my diary is open. But today I was sick, and also Valentine's so don't judge too harshly. :blushing:
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member

Please read the links ♡ good/bad aren't words I ever use to describe food, now. In the context of a balanced diet, all food is good. For health and sustainability, balancing your macros to fit your needs will help you not only be healthy but make this lifelong. If you want to see naughty, you should check out my diary XD
  • LauRoxx
    LauRoxx Posts: 115 Member
    So I generally don't like listening to Dr. Oz, but I just so happened to watch his show today and he talked about hulled barley (hull-less or whole barley). It's supposedly a great substitute for rice or pasta but leaves you feeling very full (I guess basically because it's all fiber), but it's the best of all barleys to keep your blood sugar levels, well, level. Something to look into to help you feel fuller longer?
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Oh god SAME PAGE.

I LOVE food. I wish I was a picky eater.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    What worked for me was more protein and reworking my favorite recipes. The protein helped me immensely. It was night and day when I started eating more protein, at least a hundred grams per day. I have a few favorite foods that I have managed to rework into my rotation by substitutions and changing my portions. I had to experiment to find a good balance.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    I will join the club. I LOVE eating :(
  • Cheezits, 27 in a bowl on the counter, never brought into the living room with me, always there waiting. That is how I overcome bored eating, it's 150 calories for the bowl, I plug it in first thing in the morning and then nibble on the crackers all day. Same thing with baby carrots.