10 pounds down in under 2 weeks?

I'm new to MFP and I'm just curious is losing 10lbs in around 11 days is too fast or too slow? I started at 279 and currently at 269, My goal weight is 240, but im just hoping to even make it to 200!! Im sticking to a 1200 calorie diet, and i exercise when i feel like it (normally around 4 times a week, 30 mins or so) but im ready to take the exercise part more serious and start 6 days a week for one hour. Also im wondering if it's possible to maybe lost 69 lbs in around 6-7 month? MFP is definitely helping me with my weight-loss journey so far! :happy:

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Initially it is normal to lose at a "more than normal" rate, because it is mostly water weight. This should settle into a more regular range. Expect 2 pounds per week, so, about 50 pounds in 6 months would be a reasonable expectation.
  • abbeyoconnor99
    abbeyoconnor99 Posts: 49 Member
    Thankyou! id much rather stick to the 10lb per /2week loss :sad: but any loss is a great loss!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Thankyou! id much rather stick to the 10lb per /2week loss :sad: but any loss is a great loss!

Because you do have a significant amount to lose, you may see more than 2 pounds per week for a time, but it will slow down.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Its ok, its just water weight. In a few more weeks it will slow down alot!
  • abbeyoconnor99
    I see, thankyou for your help :bigsmile:
  • abbeyoconnor99
    Thankyou! and BTW congrats on your weight-loss you look FAB!!:bigsmile:
  • shantizzlerose
    shantizzlerose Posts: 63 Member
    You're at 269 and you're only eating 1200 calories?
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member

Can we please not shame people? There are tons of people who weigh 269 (or less) and are eating 600/700 calories a day under doctors orders!

I would say to OP to be careful about your nutrients and whatnot and seek the help of your doctor as much as you can, but 10lb in under 2 weeks is good for where you are at and that you are just starting. No you shouldn't expect or strive for it to stay that way. but it's not so strange to see numbers at that level for people who have a lot to lose.

The important part is that you are building habits you can sustain long term. It would do you no good to lose 5 lb a week if you are struggling and are going to give up in a couple more weeks time. My thoughts are to lose as much as you can with it seeming as effortless as possible. Something you can stick to will be your best bet to get down to goal.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member

Can we please not shame people? There are tons of people who weigh 269 (or less) and are eating 600/700 calories a day under doctors orders!

I would say to OP to be careful about your nutrients and whatnot and seek the help of your doctor as much as you can, but 10lb in under 2 weeks is good for where you are at and that you are just starting. No you shouldn't expect or strive for it to stay that way. but it's not so strange to see numbers at that level for people who have a lot to lose.

The important part is that you are building habits you can sustain long term. It would do you no good to lose 5 lb a week if you are struggling and are going to give up in a couple more weeks time. My thoughts are to lose as much as you can with it seeming as effortless as possible. Something you can stick to will be your best bet to get down to goal.

I read it as concern, not shaming. I would guess her TDEE is way over 2000 calories, and cutting calories down gradually sounds much safer, unless the extremely low calorie diet is supervised by a dr. Creating a 1000-1500 calorie deficit, which I guess is what she has been doing so far sounds both dangerous and not necessary.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Hi Abbey,

I started at 279 myself on 1st Jan, and was surprised to drop 10 lbs in first week as well.
    That pace didn't remain, and that's fine. I'm eating well, taking plenty of walks, and the weight is coming off nicely.
    It took me 10+ years to pack on the extra hundred pounds. It's going to take time for it to come back off in in healthy manner.

Best of luck!
  • journey_man
    journey_man Posts: 110 Member

Can we please not shame people?

Huh?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Asking a question is not 'shaming'. Over reaction much!
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Abbey, I'm sure a lot of people on MFP would like to suggest to you that 1200 calories per day is perhaps too few. I'd recommend you read some more about this topic (it's all over MFP).
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Try not to get disheartened when your weightloss slows down, try and expect it less now or you might struggle to keep your motivation, at the moment I'm grateful for 1/2lb a week.

If you wish to increase your exercise please remember to increase your calorie intake or you will burn out.
  • Like everyone else has said, if you have a substantial amount (40-50-60+ pounds) to lose then yes it's okay to see a 5 pound drop here, or a 7 pound drop in a week, mainly do to the fact that it's a lot of water weight and your body is under going drastic changes (diet, exercise, etc).
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Awww! OP, your avatar looks like a lonely little orphan! :sad:
    I just wanna hug you. Can I hug you? I'm going to hug you.
    {((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))
    Don't get discouraged if your rate of weight loss slows down. Find something that works for you long term.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Nobody on MFP can decide what is "too fast" or "too slow" for you. Lots of people will try, of course, but none of them know.

Lose at whatever rate you choose to, as long as you're healthy. At your size large calorie deficits are more doable, and weight loss often comes fast for quite awhile.
  • abbeyoconnor99

Yes, it seems to be right for me in my opinion.
  • abbeyoconnor99

thankyou, and yeah im getting pretty used to it, no struggles or anything (yet) :bigsmile: