How to make plain Greek yogurt taste good

Replies

• _karyn_
    _karyn_ Posts: 11 Member
    I use it as sour cream on tacos. I also mix it with the dry ranch packets and eat it on baked potatoes. Yummy.

This! Use in place of sour cream. It goes great on top of Mexican or Indian food, or on baked potatoes. Also dip chips or veggies into it. I go through a lot of mock sour cream (as I think of plain Greek yogurt) but I never eat it as yougurt.

I use it in tuna salad instead of mayo, as well as a sour cream replacement.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    2-3 packets of stevia & Lots of Cinnamon :) I'll add some sliced amonds and frozen blueberries.

2-3 packets of stevia, Apple Spice,& sliced apples

2-3 packets of stevia, pumpkin slice & bananas

Dear God... might as well replace crack cocaine with the stevia. Artificial sweeteners are a chemical mess...

Depending on the source, stevia is "natural". And who'd really eat crack, you'd break a tooth, I'd suggest powdered.
  • metalheaddoc
    metalheaddoc Posts: 5 Member
    I add a splash of one of those sugar-free syrups for flavoring coffee. I like Torani brand vanilla. or a quick squirt of Dasani Drops for flavoring water.
  • I like to use it in place of sour cream, in a smoothie, as a dip with ranch seasoning, and as a marinade. I just can't eat it by itself.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    I love Chobani fat free, and I am NOT a fat free food person at all. I can't for the life of me figure out how they make it so rich without fat!

I like it with honey mixed in and a little granola on top.
  • kon_e3
    kon_e3 Posts: 21 Member
    I heard aspartame is used to make fat-free/low fat dairy. Anyways dasani drops in chobani makes it taste soo good. I sometimes add instant coffee as well.
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 237 Member
    I usually add a teaspoon of honey. Sometimes, I'll add dried fruit or dry cereal. I've even added a bit of caramel syrup and chocolate syrup (the latter didn't taste so great, but the caramel is fine).
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Yoplait has great low fat 100 calorie greek yogurt, so many flavors. Very smooth not gritty like others. Only 14 g carbs, 11 g protein.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Mix in a spoonful of maple syrup. It's delicious!!!

I ate it that way for years, and have been gradually getting used to using less sweetener as time goes on. I can enjoy it now without anything sweet added. I do still usually throw in some hemp seeds or chia for the extra fiber.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    I was just looking at the recipes on the Chobani website yesterday. Lots of options for plain Greek yogurt. I can't wait to try a couple.
  • b218w
    b218w Posts: 76 Member
    i add in fruit(like a banana or fruit cups that are in 100% juice/no added sugar), raisins(with no added sugar),sliced almonds and a scoop or two of protein powder......keeps me full for hours and takes away the sour taste
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Add granola

Chocolate chips and cookie butter

Diced fruits

Coconut

Slivered almonds

*a little vanilla extract into any of the above too
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    It depends what I am doing with the greek yogurt.

For breakfast:
    *I'll pair with pureed or raw berries and/or banana.
    *A 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon with honey

If I am using it for a condiment, I'll add some fresh grated garlic, cilantro and dill. Or I'll add some curry powder to it for chicken marinade or spread. Some fresh roasted red pepper and/or sundried tomatoes make it a wonderful spread or dip for veggies.

You can also use as a soup topping, or a sour cream/mayo substitute.
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    For breakfast on most mornings I eat 6 ounces of Chobani nonfat plain Greek yogurt mixed with 2 ounces of granola and 6 ounces of fresh berries (usually blueberries). That's roughly 450 calories or so. It's a wonderful mixture for me with enough flavor and crunch and "satisfaction". I just need to watch what kind of granola I use because some of them are overly sweetened with sugars. And it's a bit costly particularly because of the berries.
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    I love Chobani fat free, and I am NOT a fat free food person at all. I can't for the life of me figure out how they make it so rich without fat!

I like it with honey mixed in and a little granola on top.

Yes, yes, and yes!
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    honey and cinnamon and usually sprinkle so chia seeds and walnuts on top. Also use as a substitute for sour cream. My fave brands are Fage and Voskos.
  • sylviatx
    sylviatx Posts: 156 Member
    A teaspoon of honey or sugar or brown sugar doesn't "cost" that much.

I usually mix plain yogurt with a half pint of blackberries or raspberries. Or a cut up banana. Or a tsp. of honey and about a dozen well-toasted unsalted almonds (this is my favorite). Or a cut up apple, a little sugar and some cinnamon.

Any flavor out there that you like can be duplicated in a healthier fashion. Dabble with a little sugar and vanilla to get to your "vanilla-flavored" base that you already know you like. Then sart experimenting on the other flavors you know you like. You already buy "vanilla-strawberry"? Then add vanilla, a little sugar, and some cut up fresh strawberries. Mix. Sometimes the flavors will meld a little better if you give it some time, like mix it up in the morning if it's going to be lunch.

Have fun with it!
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    I think Greek Gods brand, plain, full fat, Greek yogurt tastes just fine......it takes getting used to is all. I mainly eat a small amount as a pick-me-up and savor the texture and the knowledge that it will be filling and low in cals. I also sometimes mix with granola for a yummy breakfast.
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    I eat full fat Greek yogurt nearly every day. I mix mine with some honey and peanut butter and it tastes like peanut butter cheesecake. It takes some fooling around to get the ratio perfect and some days I use more or less peanut butter depending on where my macros have gotten too. It's usually about 150g yogurt, 10g honey and 20g peanut butter.
  • Jgal8123
    Jgal8123 Posts: 1,378 Member
    I will substitute greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise in an improvised chicken salad...chopped chicken, apples and green onion with a little garlic salt and pepper. Tasty!