How to make plain Greek yogurt taste good

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Sadly, you may just be someone who doesn't like Greek yogurt, but do try a different brand. Look for a brand that's just dairy (milk, cream) and bacteria cultures, so that it's thickened by straining, not adding corn starch or other things that might be giving it a bitter taste (yogurt should be tangy or sour, not bitter).

How to eat it? My new favorite way is spread on toasted homemade bread (something with wholegrains, nuts or seeds, maybe dried fruit), spread thick like cream cheese.

It's also good as a topping on chili or a spicy curry (it cools the heat, both spicy and temperature.

Most of the time I just mix it with raw oats, nuts, fruit, occasionally adding other things like pureed pumpkin, peanut butter or defatted peanut power (PB2), coconut, chocolate chips, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, molasses...

I'm sorry plain greek yogurt isn't delicious to you.
  • Marcolter
    Marcolter Posts: 103 Member
    I was raised on yogurt as a savory item so adding sweet and fruit was foreign to me. Yogurt with squeezed lemon juice and a little Olive Oil with pita bread and a dash of salt. Adjust as you see fit. I never never buy flavored yogurt or with fruit. Make my own now if I need that. Breakfast parfait with cereal and yogurt when I get tired of soy milk and cereal. Also now Greek Yogurt and frozen fruit in blender = ice cream.
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Peanut Butter or
    Protein Powder or
    Almonds or
    Any kind of fruit

Yum
  • Blueyedgrass
    Blueyedgrass Posts: 1 Member
    How to make plain Greek yogurt taste good ~

Buy the good stuff ~ Fage is great !

Since I try to keep carbs low, I get the full fat which is hard to find in my grocery store these days :grumble:

If you want it sweet and are avoiding sugar add a few drops of liquid stevia.

Like many have posted, it makes a great sour cream substitute.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    I love plain yogurt, Greek or not, but I didn't like Oikos. Tasted both bitter and overly processed to me. (I can't really explain "overly processed," but the texture was oddly stiff, and it seemed like it had something in it besides milk and happy bacteria.) Try another brand and see if it works better for you. I've been enjoying Cabot and Green Mountain Creamery (delicious, but may not be available outside of New England.) The Stonyfield Farms brand of Greek yogurt is probably good too, though I haven't tried it, because their regular plain yogurt is mild and creamy and delicious.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    2-3 packets of stevia & Lots of Cinnamon :) I'll add some sliced amonds and frozen blueberries.

2-3 packets of stevia, Apple Spice,& sliced apples

2-3 packets of stevia, pumpkin slice & bananas

Dear God... might as well replace crack cocaine with the stevia. Artificial sweeteners are a chemical mess...

I am not going to get into the debate on artificial sweeteners vs natural sugars.

But stevia is not an artificial sweetener (It may be processed) but it is plant based and is best used by diabetics as a sweetener.

*Super quick research from wiki
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    I like to add honey or almond butter to my greek yogurt.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    I mix protein powder in mine occasionally but I really like the taste of plain Greek yogurt. I much prefer it to the flavored ones, they are all way to sweet for me.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member

Since I try to keep carbs low, I get the full fat which is hard to find in my grocery store these days :grumble:

Yea me too, they are only carrying the 2% and 0% these days.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Personally, I prefer Chobani nonfat plain yogurt with fresh fruit and Bear Naked Fit natural granola (or unsalted almonds). I have also used it to make post workout protein shakes -- it is wonderful there as well.

Good luck!
  • verasdaughter
    verasdaughter Posts: 71 Member
    I know you said you tries fruit. Perhaps try putting the feuit in the microwave with a little water and some stevia for about 30 seconds. Let cool for a couple of mins. Then put in yogurt. That way you get the tasty juices from the fruit to flavor the yogurt.
  • sad_kitty
    sad_kitty Posts: 84 Member
    I add a wee bit of vanilla extract, and about 1/2 tsp of real maple syrup (it's sugar yes, but it also has B vitamins) to 1/2 cup of my unflavoured yogurts. If I use it in a smoothie, I'll just blend with banana and berries to sweeten. I don't mind eating it plain though, with just the vanilla. Cinnamon can also be used as a sweet enchancer, allowing you to use less sweetner.
  • sad_kitty
    sad_kitty Posts: 84 Member

Yea me too, they are only carrying the 2% and 0% these days.

I make my own yogurt, and made my 1st Greek yogurt this week. You could buy a full fat plain yogurt and line a colander with cheese cloth (or get a super duper fine mesh strainer) and let the whey strain out of the yogurt into a pot below. Takes an hour or two. Some folks actually squeeze the whey out, but it's easier to let it go by gravity. It really diminishes the size of the final product, but it worked well for me. I got about 1 cup of Greek yogurt from 1 litre of regular yogurt.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    I know you said you tries fruit. Perhaps try putting the feuit in the microwave with a little water and some stevia for about 30 seconds. Let cool for a couple of mins. Then put in yogurt. That way you get the tasty juices from the fruit to flavor the yogurt.

You've probably already tried this, but, just in case:

One thing that I also do is to use freshly frozen fruit (4-serving bag -- I prefer the Triple Berry Blend), let it thaw overnight, add a little Stevia, and then mix it with my Chobani. There is an awesome amount of fresh fruit juices in the bag (after thawing) to add to my yogurt and I can prep portions to bring to work with me every day.
  • honey, it's magical.
  • I eat full fat Greek yogurt nearly every day. I mix mine with some honey and peanut butter and it tastes like peanut butter cheesecake. It takes some fooling around to get the ratio perfect and some days I use more or less peanut butter depending on where my macros have gotten too. It's usually about 150g yogurt, 10g honey and 20g peanut butter.

I use PB2 instead. Tastes awesome with plain Greek yogurt and way less calories too :)
  • osborneaw
    osborneaw Posts: 5 Member
    Add blueberries or other fruit and add a few chopped almonds. Split in half- that is what I do.:smile:
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Oikos plain Greek yogurt is what I'm using?
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Greek gods full fat plain with 1/2 tsp of brown sugar. Perfect.