Saturated fat, eat or don't eat?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,810 Member
    thanks for the information guys. I posted this topic because here recently I was watching the 700 club and they were talking about how the real DEVIL, if you will, is SUGAR, including High frutose corn syrup, and TRANS FATS/Hydrogenated oil. Eliminate or greatly reduce these, and you can actually reverse diabetes and prevent a lot of health issues.
    Well, that is the current trend in devil worship. For sure trans fats should be avoided but not either sugar of HFCS....that is basically taking extreme examples in studies and using that to support devil worship........not all the witches should be burned at the stake.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    in regards to diabetes, probably. Diabetes is a very confusing disease. My brother went into a diabetic coma after consuming one too many mountain dews, was rushed to the hospital, then told his blood sugar was 1000. My dad died of diabetes, and his blood sugar level was 550. I'm just trying to prevent getting this awful disease.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    in regards to diabetes, probably. Diabetes is a very confusing disease. My brother went into a diabetic coma after consuming one too many mountain dews, was rushed to the hospital, then told his blood sugar was 1000. My dad died of diabetes, and his blood sugar level was 550. I'm just trying to prevent getting this awful disease.

You should also be worried about becoming a Serial Killer. Sugar is of the devil and causes people to go on mass murder sprees. I saw it on True Detective, so there is fact based evidence.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    I try to limit my saturated fats to 15g or less. I avoid trans fat as much as possible.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Yep no limits, eat what I feel like. Sadly sat fats gotten a bad rap over the last decade or so.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    I think you should not get nutrition and health advice from the 700 Club.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    I think you should not get nutrition and health advice from the 700 Club.

LOL! I guess you have a point there!
  • rocknlotsofrolls

You should also be worried about becoming a Serial Killer. Sugar is of the devil and causes people to go on mass murder sprees. I saw it on True Detective, so there is fact based evidence.

I guess SOMEBODY didn't get any Valentine's presents. How sad!
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    The American Heart Association website continues to indicate that:

"Eating foods that contain saturated fats raises the level of cholesterol in your blood."

and

"The American Heart Association recommends limiting the amount of saturated fats you eat to less than 7 percent of total daily calories. That means, for example, if you need about 2,000 calories a day, no more than 140 of them should come from saturated fats. That’s about 16 grams of saturated fats a day."

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/FatsAndOils/Fats101/Saturated-Fats_UCM_301110_Article.jsp
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    I totally agree with Keliandra. My doctor put me on an Atkins type diet last August. High protein, low carb, don't bother counting fat, lots of veggies, and 1 fruit a day, diet. no sugar, no sugar subs except truvia/stevia. full fat cheese, full fat greek yogurt, he wanted me to drink whole milk, but I don't like it so I do skim. I can have bacon, lunch meat IF I want. My cholesterol went from 212 to 168; my HDL went from so-so to optimal; LDL from high to optimal and triglycerides the same. I've done really well on my journey. I'm pleased with this diet and find it easy to stick to. For the first time, I feel I've found a diet that I truly think I can make it to my goal. It actually seems kind of like a mediterranean/atkins diet. but trans-fats are a real no-no. things like margarine, and vegetable oils are very bad for your arteries.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member

I got a gorgeous valentines day present, thank you very much.

I am not believing in the sincerity of this thread. The whole 700 club and sugar is the devil was bad enough, but the whole Mt Dew sent my brother into a coma thing was beyond the scope of what I can rationally believe to be true.

Please do not send me any more private messages.

I am done with this thread.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

"Eating foods that contain saturated fats raises the level of cholesterol in your blood."

and

"The American Heart Association recommends limiting the amount of saturated fats you eat to less than 7 percent of total daily calories. That means, for example, if you need about 2,000 calories a day, no more than 140 of them should come from saturated fats. That’s about 16 grams of saturated fats a day."

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/FatsAndOils/Fats101/Saturated-Fats_UCM_301110_Article.jsp

Meh....

I had soaring levels of cholesterol and triglycerides were off the charts when I started all of this. My doctor wanted me to go very low fat diet...I did a bit of my own research and determined that was a bad idea. I upped my total fat consumption overall (I used to eat a bunch of low fat/no fat bull****) to about 30-35% of my diet and get around 20-25 grams of saturated fats daily...my LDL cholesterol has gone from 160 to 115 and my HDL has gone from 22 to 55. My triglycerides went from 463 to 125. So...I call BS on the AHA at this point.

I would also point out that I eat a very balanced diet that is also rich in fruits and vegetables and I get around 40 grams of fiber daily and I rock the frack out of my fitness. They're just making those recommendations based on old and flawed studies that try to isolate causality...in the real world, it just doesn't work that way and is a far more complex issue than just saturated fats or whatever.

IMHO and in my personal experience, issues with cholesterol are largely 1) hereditary and 2) a bi-product of an overall ****ty dietary lifestyle that is largely lacking in proper nutrition and sedentary lifestyles. I really don't think there is one singular cause like saturated fat.
  • rocknlotsofrolls

leave it alone already. People are here asking for help or they wouldn't be here. Sounds like you are the Troll! Look at my replies compared to yours.

I got a gorgeous valentines day present, thank you very much.

I am not believing in the sincerity of this thread. The whole 700 club and sugar is the devil was bad enough, but the whole Mt Dew sent my brother into a coma thing was beyond the scope of what I can rationally believe to be true.

Please do not send me any more private messages.

I am done with this thread.
  • neanderthin

and

AHA's (American Heart Association) own data base showed that 75% of recorded hospital heart attach patients admitted from 540 different hospitals over a 5 year period who had their cholesterol levels recorded upon admission, showed that 75% had LDL under 130, which is considered the safe level, and of those people, 50% had levels just under 100, and around 18% of those had LDL under 70. If high cholesterol levels especially LDL increases risk of heart attach why were the patients with higher levels (25% of admitted patients) that were over these numbers more protected from heart disease? What are your thoughts on that particular statistic?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member

and

Except for the fact that the "evidence" they use says no such thing...

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member

and

AHA's (American Heart Association) own data base showed that 75% of recorded hospital heart attach patients admitted from 540 different hospitals over a 5 year period who had their cholesterol levels recorded upon admission, showed that 75% had LDL under 130, which is considered the safe level, and of those people, 50% had levels just under 100, and around 18% of those had LDL under 70. If high cholesterol levels especially LDL increases risk of heart attach why were the patients with higher levels (25% of admitted patients) that were over these numbers more protected from heart disease? What are your thoughts on that particular statistic?

I know I am not poster you asked this question to - but my thoughts are that heart disease is multi factored and above statistics reflect this.
    There are risks like family history and age which we cant change - but cholesterol, weight, diabetes are also well known risks and are things we can control, to at least some extent.

Whilst the relative importance of cholesterol and saturated fats is debated, I don't think many mainstream medical sources think it is not important at all.

I think limiting one's intake of both saturated fats and sugar is wise - but I don't mean obsessively doing so or going to extremes or trying to cutting them out altogether.

Just being sensible and limiting them to moderate levels.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    This thread confuses me. People that say they've changed their fat intake and pointing directly at that as to why their numbers are better, but disregard losing weight, changing what they eat (which includes eating different foods) likely exercising, etc. etc.
  • neanderthin

and

I know I am not poster you asked this question to - but my thoughts are that heart disease is multi factored and above statistics reflect this.
    There are risks like family history and age which we cant change - but cholesterol, weight, diabetes are also well known risks and are things we can control, to at least some extent.

Whilst the relative importance of cholesterol and saturated fats is debated, I don't think many mainstream medical sources think it is not important at all.

I think limiting one's intake of both saturated fats and sugar is wise - but I don't mean obsessively doing so or going to extremes or trying to cutting them out altogether.

Just being sensible and limiting them to moderate levels.
    It's important, it's very important to understand the mechanisms involved and if they make sense to the point that we can justify the agricultural shift that took place to accommodate such recommendations back in the 80's........and so far I don't see the evidence. The simple fact that through trial and error that people that have some education regarding nutrition have increased protein and reduced carbs from those recommendations 40 years ago. A decade ago if someone talked about a diet increasing protein in a setting like this you would have been inundated with the popular opinion that it was either not needed or dangerous.....of course now we see the pendulum swinging from that stance to carbs are evil.....never any balance it seems.

I agree 100% with your argument that heart disease, diabetes, obesity are multifaceted and why this whole thread and whether it's correct or not will never make any difference with the health of the nation until we understand that we can't blame it on saturated fat or sugar or fructose or wheat or carbs or whatever the new trend might be. It's how someone's lifestyle including diet, social network, daily stress, exercise, genetics and more influence our health. The outright difference in diet from around the world should have proved that beyond a shadow of as doubt, that's it's not any particular ingredient but a combination of lifestyle factors that are less that ideal that attribute to overall health.
  • neanderthin
    This thread confuses me. People that say they've changed their fat intake and pointing directly at that as to why their numbers are better, but disregard losing weight, changing what they eat (which includes eating different foods) likely exercising, etc. etc.
    Who said that?