I think I just invented a diet

ok maybe It's not an invention but here's the main idea.

1-you eat at maintenance everyday
2-you work out/cardio/walk/run whatever you want,and burn 500 to 1000 kcal a day (depends of the ratio of loss you want)
3-if you want to lose extra eat only 10% under maintenance.no big deal

let's consider a TDEE of 2000 kcal
you can burn 500 kcal daily (which is realistic) which leaves you with 3500 kcal burn weekly=1 pound loss
if you eat 10% under TDEE you'll eat daily around 1800 kcal (which is great)
that's another 1500 kcal burn (circa)
all in all that's a 5000 kcal burn weekly=20,000 monthly which means..20,000/3500=about 6 pounds monthly (which is good)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    sorry to piss on your fireworks but you're not the first person to discover 'eating at a deficit' for weight loss....
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    sorry to piss on your fireworks but you're not the first person to discover 'eating at a deficit' for weight loss....

:laugh:
  • Buksh12
    Buksh12 Posts: 203 Member
    I think your missing the point tavi! Sauron could be onto something here so basically your saying.. if i eat what i would normally.. but exercise more you say i could lose weight? :noway:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I think your missing the point tavi! Sauron could be onto something here so basically your saying.. if i eat what i would normally.. but exercise more you say i could lose weight? :noway:

what?!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    I have an even better invention.

What about if we eat at a deficit, but workout and eat back our exercise calories so we actually consume the same amount of calories as if we were eating at maintenance?
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Wow amazing, who'd have thought a calorie deficit and/or working out to burn calories could help.
  • lol no need for all this sarcasm..

a lot of people can't make deficits for 1 simple reason..they love food.

I just wanted to declare that exercise can be enough for people with a huge appetite.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Burning 500-1000 kcals every single day is a LOT. I can try to burn 500 kcals by running 1+ hour and I couldn't do it every single day... doesn't seem suitable for everyone.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member

Lol

OP good job at figuring it out though . U have accomlished what 95% of the people on here cant conceptualize
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    We're only teasing.

Deficit is what you need to lose weight. However, psychology is a very important aspect of weight loss.

It may well be a successful/useful approach to people that feel that being on a diet means they are missing out/depriving themselves. Eating at maintenance (and logging their food) but then using exercise (ideally something they enjoy) to create a deficit could suit a large portion of people that are otherwise struggling.
    One of the largest problems new dieters have, is trying too much too fast and then failing.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Burning 500-1000 kcals every single day is a LOT. I can try to burn 500 kcals by running 1+ hour and I couldn't do it every single day... doesn't seem suitable for everyone.

Its all relative

1. weight lifting + calories burns loads of caloies
    2. All depends on the individuals stats . EXAMPLE: A 300LB guy with 50% bf VS a 120LB lady with 17% bf
    The 300lb guy could probably burn 5X the amount of calories the 120LB lady would burn in the same amount of time with the same exercises doing the exact same thing

Thats why Ops rule of thumb isnt really acurate . The concept is acurate though
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    The idea of eating at maintenance has three advantages. First, even if you don't exercise you won't gain weight which is already a huge advantage for a lot of people. Setting that as a daily goal for the rest of their lives would be tremendous. Second, you get to eat at maintenance level! No more depriving your desire to eat. Third, it motivates you to exercise, if you're in it to lose weight, since that's the only way your going to get it done.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    this is a revelation ...............
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    When a person reaches a smaller weight, then maintenance will drop. The person will then have to actually eat a deficit from what was once maintenance to continue losing, or keep gaining and losing the same weight.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    I have an even better invention.

What about if we eat at a deficit, but workout and eat back our exercise calories so we actually consume the same amount of calories as if we were eating at maintenance?

sounds like bs, defs wont work, gah what a typical newb
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Its all relative

1. weight lifting + calories burns loads of caloies
    2. All depends on the individuals stats . EXAMPLE: A 300LB guy with 50% bf VS a 120LB lady with 17% bf
    The 300lb guy could probably burn 5X the amount of calories the 120LB lady would burn in the same amount of time with the same exercises doing the exact same thing

Thats why Ops rule of thumb isnt really acurate . The concept is acurate though

The concept is just the same concept we're all following on here: eating at a deficit, burning calories through exercise and so on.
    The difference in his message is made by numbers. If my TDEE was reasonabily lower and my daily burn was also accordingly lower, I wouldn't see much of a result.
    He referred about a 500-daily calories burn as reasonable which in my opinion isn't just reasonable for anyone, even thought I might be the exception. Just my two cents.
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    When a person reaches a smaller weight, then maintenance will drop. The person will then have to actually eat a deficit from what was once maintenance to continue losing, or keep gaining and losing the same weight.

I agree.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    This is my strategy. 65 minutes of elliptical plus a weights split allows me to eat whatever I want while maintaining a 500 kcal deficit daily.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    math.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    lol no need for all this sarcasm..

a lot of people can't make deficits for 1 simple reason..they love food.

I just wanted to declare that exercise can be enough for people with a huge appetite.

Aaaaaaand this is where your completely new and exciting master plan goes off the rails. Because it's the opposite, really. Exercise will not be enough for a person with a huge appetite.

I'm a prime example. As a large, very active male, i have tons of days where my maintenance would be 4000 calories. A quick peek at my diary would show that I can also easily eat 4500 calories on those days.

In order to be consistent, a weight loss plan has to focus on diet over exercise, ESPECIALLY if a person has a large appetite