Calories!!

I am 26, 237lbs and 5ft2. I dont exercise much but weaning my way back in. My calorie goal is 1600 is that too high?? so far I have lost nearly 2 st doing this but last two weight losses have been small like only half a pound. Do you recommend that I drop some cals?? Im not always reaching the calorie goal I am nearly always under usually by about 100 anyway. So whats my next move?

what is your calorie intake?? and how do you find it?? do you find yours hard to fill or too easy to go over??

Replies

• ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Congrats on your weight loss so far! Since you are young, I would recommend that you focus on exercise instead of lowering your calories further. Do some cardio, work in some strength training, drink your water, eat your protein and don't eat back your exercise calories unless you are very hungry. Try that and see how it goes.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I am 26, 237lbs and 5ft2. I dont exercise much but weaning my way back in. My calorie goal is 1600 is that too high?? so far I have lost nearly 2 st doing this but last two weight losses have been small like only half a pound. Do you recommend that I drop some cals?? Im not always reaching the calorie goal I am nearly always under usually by about 100 anyway. So whats my next move?

what is your calorie intake?? and how do you find it?? do you find yours hard to fill or too easy to go over??

I wouldn't cut calories, but add some activity instead. 1600 is not terribly high.

For getting back into exercise, I recommend walking. We have about 2&1/2 ft. of snow where I live, so I "walk" indoors.....these are good starter workouts....easy to tweak to your level

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jessica+smith+walking&sm=1
  • Yeah that always confuses me (eating back the cals) if you want to burn them why would you want to eat them back?? lol I am trying to aim for walking each day at least 30 mins until I can get back into my zumba. 1600 cals is not too much then??
  • I am 26, 237lbs and 5ft2. I dont exercise much but weaning my way back in. My calorie goal is 1600 is that too high?? so far I have lost nearly 2 st doing this but last two weight losses have been small like only half a pound. Do you recommend that I drop some cals?? Im not always reaching the calorie goal I am nearly always under usually by about 100 anyway. So whats my next move?

I wouldn't cut calories, but add some activity instead. 1600 is not terribly high.

For getting back into exercise, I recommend walking. We have about 2&1/2 ft. of snow where I live, so I "walk" indoors.....these are good starter workouts....easy to tweak to your level

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jessica+smith+walking&sm=1

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Yeah that always confuses me (eating back the cals) if you want to burn them why would you want to eat them back?? lol I am trying to aim for walking each day at least 30 mins until I can get back into my zumba. 1600 cals is not too much then??

The reason for eating back calories is this.....MFP gave you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise.....so adding exercise increases the deficit. When the deficit is too large, you have less healthy weight loss. Healthy weight loss has you losing mostly fat. Fast weight loss has you losing fat+muscle.

Now, the hard part ..............

How many calories do you actually burn?.....MFP gives generous estimates. Some people eat back a % (say 60%) and see how weight loss goes....and adjust up or down.

Also, people with lots (and lots) of weight to lose can get by with eating much less (for awhile) without losing muscle mass. Think of MediFast pateints.

Also, other people start with modest weekly goals....while others go for the maximum number.
    To guage this......you can look up you BMR (calories your body would use if you stayed in bed all day)..... http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

If 1600 is at or below your BMR .......eat some calories back