Alfredo sauce recipe?

Happy Monday! Does anyone have a version of this thats healthier than traditional? Thanks!

Replies

• GrindingSalt
    GrindingSalt Posts: 68 Member
    Don't have an exact recipe, but try looking for something where milk is the base and it's thickened with roux (oil/butter cooked with flour). I'd imagine typical recipes use heavy cream and lots of cheese and no thickener.

A roux thickened milk sauce is essential a bechamel, so you could look for a simple bechamel recipe/ratio then look at what seasoning is used in typical alfredo sauces and add those in. If it were me, I'd probably go with parmesan, garlic powder, lots of salt (since the base is essentially just milk) and lots of pepper.

You can't exactly make a low fat roux. You have to use a fat and flour. But subbing milk for heavy cream will more than offset the difference.

Good luck!
  • lizpitts
    lizpitts Posts: 67 Member
    I use Knorr's Alfredo Sauce Mix. It's about 80 calories for a quarter cup. I usually leave out the butter to save even more calories. Tonight I'm trying it with almond milk. I think traditional alfredo sauce is about 140 calories for a quarter cup.
  • epemae
    epemae Posts: 76 Member
    If you make homemade, instead of making it with cream try fat free evaporated milk. I saw a light version of the pre made stuff at the grocery store the other day, but I don't know what it tastes like.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    I start with a standard Bechamel recipe for quantities, then use Smart Balance and a little chicken stock for the roux, and then equal parts of chicken stock and skim or 1% milk for the liquid. The key is to really cook the roux for a while - like 7-8 minutes so that it doesn't taste floury. For more flavor, add some freshly grated Parmesan. Salt, pepper and garlic powder also help!

Good luck.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Barilla has a light alfredo sauce with a crazy low calorie/fat content for the flavor. It is actually really tasty. I think it's only like 40 calories for 2 tbsps or something.
  • tlmaple
    tlmaple Posts: 2 Member
    Alfredo Sauce Bechamel Style

1 tbs butter
    1/2 shallot or onion, minced
    2 garlic cloves, minced (or to taste)
    1 tbs flour
    1 cup cold milk (can use 1%, maybe even skim, but never tried it)
    1 bay leaf
    salt and white pepper to taste
    Grated parmesan to taste

Saute shallots and garlic in butter for 2 mins. Add flour and cook 2 mins. Add cold milk and whisk rapidly to avoid lumps. Add bay leaf, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer/whisk until thickened. Stir in parmesan.
  • I love Alfredo sauce! When I first started to eat healthier it was insanely difficult for me to give up cheese and pasta, especially cheesy pasta! I don't know if you're into trying any vegan recipes, but I've found that many of them are great substitutes for the original thing. I'm not actually vegan, or even vegetarian, myself so I've been pleasantly surprised with how delicious many of these recipes are. I think they've also helped me to appreciate more natural flavors, which has really helped me to make better choices in the long run.

Here's a great recipe fora healthy vegan Alfredo sauce.
    http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/03/quick-and-easy-vegan-alfredo/

I've even used this over zucchini "pasta" noddles and it was delicious.

Happy cooking! :D
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce

INGREDIENTS
    8 large cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons butter
    5-6 cups cauliflower florets
    6-7 cups vegetable broth or water
    1 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
    ½ teaspoon pepper (more to taste)
    ½ cup milk (more to taste)
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Garlic: Saute the minced garlic with the butter in a large nonstick skillet over low heat. Cook for several minutes or until the garlic is soft and fragrant but not browned (browned or burnt garlic will taste bitter). Remove from heat and set aside.
    Cauliflower: Bring the water or vegetable broth to a boil in a large pot. Add the cauliflower and cook, covered, for 7-10 minutes or until cauliflower is fork tender. Do not drain.
    Puree: Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cauliflower pieces to the blender. Add 1 cup vegetable broth or cooking liquid, sauteed garlic/butter, salt, pepper, and milk. Blend or puree for several minutes until the sauce is very smooth, adding more broth or milk depending on how thick you want the sauce. You may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your blender. Serve hot! If the sauce starts to look dry, add a few drops of water, milk, or olive oil.

http://pinchofyum.com/creamy-cauliflower-sauce

I can confirm that this is really tasty and light at the same time. I cook my cauliflower for 14 minutes in chicken stock just to be sure its tender enough. Don't skip out on the butter to saute the garlic.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Butter, parm, hot pasta, little pasta water if needed. That's it
  • newlife0425
    newlife0425 Posts: 28 Member
    Cauliflower Alfredo sauce is yummy!!!!!
  • Marianna05
    Marianna05 Posts: 67 Member
    Definately going to try the Cauliflower alfredo....yum!
  • you guys are awesome! Love you! :o) Thanks everyone!
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce

INGREDIENTS
    8 large cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons butter
    5-6 cups cauliflower florets
    6-7 cups vegetable broth or water
    1 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
    ½ teaspoon pepper (more to taste)
    ½ cup milk (more to taste)
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Garlic: Saute the minced garlic with the butter in a large nonstick skillet over low heat. Cook for several minutes or until the garlic is soft and fragrant but not browned (browned or burnt garlic will taste bitter). Remove from heat and set aside.
    Cauliflower: Bring the water or vegetable broth to a boil in a large pot. Add the cauliflower and cook, covered, for 7-10 minutes or until cauliflower is fork tender. Do not drain.
    Puree: Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cauliflower pieces to the blender. Add 1 cup vegetable broth or cooking liquid, sauteed garlic/butter, salt, pepper, and milk. Blend or puree for several minutes until the sauce is very smooth, adding more broth or milk depending on how thick you want the sauce. You may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your blender. Serve hot! If the sauce starts to look dry, add a few drops of water, milk, or olive oil.

http://pinchofyum.com/creamy-cauliflower-sauce

I can confirm that this is really tasty and light at the same time. I cook my cauliflower for 14 minutes in chicken stock just to be sure its tender enough. Don't skip out on the butter to saute the garlic.

Uh, where's the cheese?
    I'm not doubting it's tasty, and I might try it sometime, but it's not "Alfredo" without Parmesan.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/fettuccine-alfredo-10000001571495/

400 calories including the pasta, and it tastes surprisingly close to the decadent original. I'm not usually one for using low-fat substitutes, but the original is so ridiculously rich I'll make an exception.
  • Cracken99
    Cracken99 Posts: 39 Member
    I agree with the Parmesian needed, I added to my cauiflower Alfredo sauce. I also used chicken broth. This was good, but it needed something. I am going to work with it because I loved the texture and getting more veggies in. Maybe more garlic??
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    bump to try the cauliflower alfredo :)
  • seashell709
    seashell709 Posts: 123 Member
    Made this and it was good!
    401 calories per serving (less calories if you use less noodles and 1 % milk) 36g carb, 15 g fat over 25 grams of protien

Serves 2

11 oz chicken breast
    5 oz fettuccine
    2 tbsp unsalted butter
    2 tbsp all purpose flour
    1 and 1/4 cup 2% milk
    2 tbsp heavy cream
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    salt and ground black pepper to taste
    2 ounces cream cheese
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    2 tbsp fresh or freeze dried parsley

cut chicken breast into bite size pieces and cook. In a large pot of boiling salted water cook pasta according to package instructions and drain well.

Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and cook, whisking constantly, until incorporated, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in heavy cream and garlic powder until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.

Stir in Parmesan cheese and cream cheese until melted. Add cooked chicken to sauce and stir. Stir in the pasta to coat. The sauce will thicken after removed from heat. Add more salt and pepper if needed. Serve with parsley on top. Enjoy!

This was really good but next time i want to try real garlic and maybe smoked parmesan. The 2 servings were big and we both had extra on our plate
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Made this Monday night:

Heat 2 tbsp of oil in medum sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add 3 cloves minced garlic. Whisk in 2 tbsp flour. Whisk constantly for a few minutes, mixture will start to boil. Add in 1 cup chicken broth, 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt, and 1/4 cup skim milk. Stirring constantly, bring to a low boil. Once it starts to boil, reduce heat and let it thicken, stirring occasionally. Once thickened, stir in 3/4 cup grated Parmesan. I often get generous with the Parmesan and add more than 1 cup.

I mix the sauce with chicken breast, broccoli, and pasta. I divide into 4 servings, 573 calories each.