Vegans & Vegetarians! Where do you get your protein?

13»

Replies

• mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    yoink
  • Also a pescatarian. Greek yogurt, nut butters, whey, soy milk, tofu,and Obviously fish but I know what you mean about the budget issue!!
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    I load up on (and love!) lentils, chickpeas, beans (particularly black), and granola. That's in addition to a serving of Greek yogurt every day and fish three times per week. I'm almost always over my MFP protein target. Good luck to you!
  • steph6467
    steph6467 Posts: 54 Member
    Where do you get your protein? Plants! Where do you get Iron? Plants! Where do you get your Calcium? Plants!

:D

http://youtu.be/Tc8TrchWeO0
  • I am vegetarian, and I eat beans, tuna, (any other fish is fine), greek yogurt or any other yogurt, low sugar and calorie protein shakes and bars, potato bread (3 grams per slice), milk, cheese, protein enriched foods, muscle milk.
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    I'm not Vegan or Vegatarian but I am allergic to soy and dairy and have two vegan protein powders that I use to get my protein in which are fairly cheap and good quality

MRM Veggie protein (20 grams of protein per scoop)

Genuine health double chocolate (also 20 grams of proteing per scoop)

Both are vegan and free of dairy and soy and gluten as well, I usually mix mine with almond or coconut milk

also another cheap form of protein that packs a punch is tuna ... good luck
  • I put a handful (25 or so) almonds in a little dish for evening nibbling. Nut butters are also a good protein source. Make sure you measure out each serving! Lots of calories!

Cottage cheese, beans, protein powders, you can also make yourself a nice protein bar at home!

My Homemade Protein Bar

1 Cup Rolled Oats
    1 Cup organic Spelt Flour
    1 Cup Puffed Brown Rice Cereal
    1/4 Cup Protein Powder or more depending on how much protein you want!!
    4 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
    1/2 Cup Currants (or any dried fruit
    1/2 Cup Ground Nuts (I use walnuts)
    1/2 Tablespoon cinnamon

Mix all of the above together very well!:heart:

In a small saucepan over low heat, very slowly mix together the following:

1/4 Cup honey
    1/3 Cup nut butter (any type)
    2 teaspoons vanilla

MIx with dry ingredients and add about 3/4 cup hot water very slowly until the dough sticks together but is not too sticky. Knead together a few minutes to get rid of air pockets. Roll into a loaf or just make into any shape you want. I make it into bars. Add together the calories in all ingredients and divide by how many portions you make. There you have it!! Refrigerate for 10 hours and you can slice your loaf really easy! Keeps for a long time in the refrigerator but I love this so much it won't last long:heart:

I put a handful of almonds in the food processor and crush them. Then I roll my finished product in this!
  • sad_kitty
    sad_kitty Posts: 84 Member
    Quinoa (complete protein)
    Legumes/brown rice combo
    Pepitas (pumpkin seeds) - not a complete protein, but pretty darn high in protein per serving, other seeds, nuts & nut/seed butters
    Soy
    Hemp hearts
    Vegetables (they can vary in protein, but some are higher than others)
  • I put a handful (25 or so) almonds in a little dish for evening nibbling. Nut butters are also a good protein source. Make sure you measure out each serving! Lots of calories!

Cottage cheese, beans, protein powders, you can also make yourself a nice protein bar at home!

My Homemade Protein Bar

1 Cup Rolled Oats
    1 Cup organic Spelt Flour
    1 Cup Puffed Brown Rice Cereal
    1/4 Cup Protein Powder or more depending on how much protein you want!!
    4 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
    1/2 Cup Currants (or any dried fruit
    1/2 Cup Ground Nuts (I use walnuts)
    1/2 Tablespoon cinnamon

Mix all of the above together very well!:heart:

In a small saucepan over low heat, very slowly mix together the following:

1/4 Cup honey
    1/3 Cup nut butter (any type)
    2 teaspoons vanilla

MIx with dry ingredients and add about 3/4 cup hot water very slowly until the dough sticks together but is not too sticky. Knead together a few minutes to get rid of air pockets. Roll into a loaf or just make into any shape you want. I make it into bars. Add together the calories in all ingredients and divide by how many portions you make. There you have it!! Refrigerate for 10 hours and you can slice your loaf really easy! Keeps for a long time in the refrigerator but I love this so much it won't last long:heart:

I put a handful of almonds in the food processor and crush them. Then I roll my finished product in this!
    +1 Sounds perfect. Will definitely make this.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    How many nut butters are out there? I have intolerances to peanuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, and cashews. What's left? Tahini? Can I use that in place of peanut butter in homemade protein bars?
  • How many nut butters are out there? I have intolerances to peanuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, and cashews. What's left? Tahini? Can I use that in place of peanut butter in homemade protein bars?
    Never tried tahini plain, but coconut butter tastes great in protein bars. There's also soy and pecan butter (never tried, but I doubt they're bad).
  • Dottie27
    Dottie27 Posts: 159 Member
    Great amd sensible advice-thanks!