Metformin and side effects

Lesa1129
Lesa1129 Posts: 66 Member
Went out last night for Valentines day and tried to behave. Outback. A steak and a chopped salad with broccoli and shared the grilled shrimp app. Only one piece of bread. Then on the way I start feeling sick. By the time I feel like I have the flu if you get my drift. Dizzy cramps, the whole 9 yards. Today at church a friend who also takes Metformin says oh thats dumping. WHAT? Why dont they warn you about that??!!! And what do I do if I know Im going out to dinner? Do you just not take the pill that day? My anniversary is Tuesday and I know my husband wants to take me out but now Im scared to eat anything. This blows.

Replies

• scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Here are some of the documented side effects of metformin:

Nausea, vomiting, stomach upset, diarrhea, weakness, or a metallic taste in the mouth may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly. If stomach symptoms return later (after taking the same dose for several days or weeks), tell your doctor immediately. Stomach symptoms that occur after the first days of your treatment may be signs of lactic acidosis.

Have you just started taking metformin? Have you recently changed your dose? If so then what you experienced might be a side effect, but to be honest I can experience those after a meal just because it doesn't agree with me. That would happen to me long before I got on metformin and still occasionally happens.

I do not recommend skipping metformin doses. That reduces its ability to help you control your blood sugar which is why you are taking it in the first place. If the problem persists you should talk to your doctor. It is possible that metformin is not the right drug for you and your doctor should switch you to something else.
  • Lesa1129
    I just started on the metformin 4 days ago. I'm still trying to figure this all out. The nutrition class isnt until March 4 so I feel like I've been flung in the deep end so to speak.
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    Ah. Those early days. You don't say what dose you"re on, but you should start at the lower dose and work your way up to the full dose over a few days. Did your Dr tell you anything about this?
    I'm taking 500mg 3 times a day but started off with just one 500mg tablet for a few days then upped to 2 tablets a day then finally the 3 a day. Side affects vary from person to person but can include stomach pain, flatulence, nausea and diarrhea. The first week or two not the best time to go out much, never mind to eat out lol.
    Should settle in a few days, if not tell your Dr as a slow release version may be better for you.

Metformin doesn't have the nickname Metfartin for nothing :embarassed:
  • Lesa1129
    greeeeaaaat :frown:
  • It's always difficult to start on a new medication. What time of day do you take metformin? Call your doctor's office, let them know what's happening, and double-check that you're taking metformin at the right time. It's better tolerated when taken with a meal, and often the extended release version is better tolerated. The good news is that you made really healthy choices at dinner! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Lesa1129
    It is extended release and I take it with breakfast. I never realized how much bread ie bagels, dinner roll, toast etc that I eat. Guess those days are gone
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Wheat bread is definitely a thing of the past, too. And, it's probably the likely culprit. But, there are other breads that we can eat. I make a 70-second Flax Bread in the microwave. Two slices is 6 carbs. With diabetes, our body can no longer process the carbs we used to eat properly. That system is just broken, so we have to bypass it as much as possible by limiting the carbs in our diet, and be careful to not have a lot of protein either because whatever our bodies don't need will turn right into glucose, only at a slower rate. How many carbs you can tolerate completely depends on the individual, so just listen to your meter; it will tell you.

I know it's hard to give up the foods we used to like, but tastebuds change and I no longer miss them. Plus, there are so many alternatives out there and I've grown to prefer them. Remember that we are running a marathon, not a sprint, so one day at a time.

In your diabetes class you will probably find out that they recommend 45 to 60 grams of carbs per meal and 15 gram carb snacks. Most of us can't tolerate that. So, just pay attention to your meter. It will tell you what you can and can't tolerate. It is definitely more educated than your nutritionist will ever be. :)
  • Lesa1129
    Gentyl, I'm not much of a cook, which is why we have always eaten out a lot. Why not Wheat bread? The one I bought is 20 carbs, 6 fiber and 1 sugar. Someone told me I should subtract the fiber from the carbs? Is that correct? Flax bread? That sounds interesting. Is it hard to make? I am counting carbs but only eating barely 30 per meal at the most. Most of my carbs are snacking ones. 41 total yesterday for the whole day on just snack foods. They only have me testing once a day in the morning. The past 2 daysI have been 160 and 163 so it is coming down from the 201 it was a week ago when this started.
  • scubasuenc
    Gentyl, I'm not much of a cook, which is why we have always eaten out a lot. Why not Wheat bread? The one I bought is 20 carbs, 6 fiber and 1 sugar. Someone told me I should subtract the fiber from the carbs? Is that correct? Flax bread? That sounds interesting. Is it hard to make? I am counting carbs but only eating barely 30 per meal at the most. Most of my carbs are snacking ones. 41 total yesterday for the whole day on just snack foods. They only have me testing once a day in the morning. The past 2 daysI have been 160 and 163 so it is coming down from the 201 it was a week ago when this started.

Fiber is reported as a type of carb, but is not processed and turned into blood sugar. You will hear people talk about net-carbs that is total carbs - fiber. Personally I just count the total carbs, I find it easier than counting net carbs. Most days I eat between 100 and 125 carbs over the course of 3 meals and 2 snacks.

Also, I always pair a protein with my carb as it slows down how quickly the carbs hit your blood. Yes, excess protein can be metabolized into blood sugar, however I have never found it to raise my sugars significantly. Protein also has a high satiety factor - it helps you to feel full.

Only checking once per day gives you your reading first thing in the morning, but doesn't help you get a feel for what foods affect you. I check at least 3 times per day, once in the morning, and then once before and after a meal. I rotate between breakfast, lunch and dinner. I will make additional checks if I'm concerned I might be low before a workout.
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member

Wheat tends to stay in your system for 3 to 5 hours, not the proverbial 1 or 2. As for fiber, Only insoluble fiber can be discounted from total carbs, and it's very difficult to tell which is soluble and which is insoluble, so I count total carbs, as well. I try to not go over 30 grams of carbs per day. Excess protein may not raise your blood sugar immediately as it takes up to 7 hours to turn the excess into glucose, so you will probably not see the affect until much later, and sadly, in your fasting numbers. The only macros that affects your blood sugar the least is Fat. Personally, I have been on a low carb high fat (LCHF) way of life. I love it, but it's not for everyone. However, it enabled me to lose all of my weight within 6 months and come off of all medication. It worked for me. There are other diets out there that also work. I know of some fellow diabetics who went on an all vegetarian diet with no dairy and did wonderfully. I didn't feel that was the way to go for me, personally. You will find what works best for you. But, I agree that testing just once a day is way too little. You will never be able to find out what you can eat that way. When I was first diagnosed, I tested 12 times a day. I was determined to come off of all medication. Losing weight was just a side effect of LCHF, and so I went with it.

Flax Bread is amazing. :) I just love it and you can flavor it anyway you like. It takes about 3 minutes to make--a minute or so to prepare and 70 seconds to microwave. If you want the recipe, I will send it to you.

You are doing an amazing job. Getting your fasting down 40 points is no small task. I can tell that you are determined. Know that you are not alone. And, if you ever need anything, you have my support. The first few months is very challenging. But, it gets easier, and pretty soon, it will be smooth sailing. :)
  • Lesa1129
    Yes I would love the recipe. Today was our 33 anniversary and we did the going out thing again. Much better this time. And I love blackened shrimp and wild rice and ate it and didnt get sick on the way home. The wild rice was the closet thing they had to a veggie that I like. Thanks for your support

Edit---30 carbs a day? like all day? I do that in one meal sometimes.
  • Lesa1129
    After a week on one Metformin ER a day, I am starting on my final regimen of 2 a day. I guess the Dr wanted my body to get used to one before I added the 2nd in. Hoping this won't cause the diahrrea to come back.

My question is this, Since you are supposed to take this with food, when do those of you that take 2 a day, take the 2nd one?
  • scubasuenc
    I take 2 metformin per day, but my doctor told me to take both in the morning. For other things that are 2 per day, I take one when I get up around 6a and one at 6p. If they require food, I will have a very small snack with them like a piece of low-fat string cheese.
  • Lesa1129
    I take 2 metformin per day, but my doctor told me to take both in the morning. For other things that are 2 per day, I take one when I get up around 6a and one at 6p. If they require food, I will have a very small snack with them like a piece of low-fat string cheese.

hmmm maybe I better call them. Never thought of taking both at once. Thanks.
  • Guineagirl913
    Guineagirl913 Posts: 77 Member
    I usually take my 2nd around dinner time.
  • Lesa1129
    I usually take my 2nd around dinner time.

Yep. Called their office and thats what Im to do also. I hate taking meds of any type and this is a VERY big adjustment for me. I hope I can get off this stuff one day.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    I just posted yesterday about metformin side effects. I'm taking 500mg twice a day, right before breakfast and dinner. The only side effect I experienced for the first 8 weeks was decreased appetite, which was fine with me. Only this week have I developed the icky GI upset. I haven't changed doses, time of day taken, or amount of carbs eaten so not sure why it's started now.
  • Lesa1129
    It has definately made me almost scared to eat dinner out somewhere.
  • cindysess
    cindysess Posts: 36 Member
    I take 4 metformin a day. 2,000 milligrams total for the past 3 yrs. Occasional runs is the only symptom I have. I take 2 in the morning and 2 with dinner. I hope someday to not have to take it at all.
  • I take 2 Merformiun a day of 500 mg. One normally in AM and one with my evening meal. Not big on medication I started taking ACV just before bed and now my morning reading is going down. So I'm not going to start the 3rd pill.

I'm lucky that I have not had any of the standard symptoms or side effects. I did have a high pulse rate (over 100) and became very jittery after I started taking the 2nd pill. That lasted for a couple of hours and after a few days, it went away. I found a study from the FDA that said it is a very rare side effect (Less that 2.5% of 91,00o people). But after that I decided to NOT take the 3rd one and find another alternative. The ACV seems to be doing it,. I'm also learning to eat earlier in the evening.