My bum is rather flat. Will squats actually work?

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Elliptical going backwards. I had a flat butt all my life, until I started doing the elliptical 3 min forward alternating with 3 min backward. One day I looked in the mirror, and I noticed I finally had a butt! It was a great surprise. I fixed one of my pet peeves without knowing it would happen
    NO
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,457 Member
    Flat butts are due to a couple of things: genetics and lack of gluteal muscle. Squats can help with increasing gluteal muscle size and thereby increase butt size. But how it's shaped is dependent entirely on genetics.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    I agree with ninerbuff. I use to focus on my bum. I've done all the "bum exercises" in the past without much results. Granted, it was toned and strong, but it wasn't that nice "Brazilian" bum shape. So I just accepted I have a "cute little bum" and altered my pants to avoid saggy bum pants. It's an easy fix on pants. My mom has the exact same problem. Genetics is the biggest factor for me.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    I've never really had a flat butt, but as I've aged and stopped working out, it got kinda saggy :grumble: I've been doing Stronglifts for almost 3 months now and the sag is disappearing. DO THOSE SQUATS! and deadlifts :love:
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Elliptical going backwards. I had a flat butt all my life, until I started doing the elliptical 3 min forward alternating with 3 min backward. One day I looked in the mirror, and I noticed I finally had a butt! It was a great surprise. I fixed one of my pet peeves without knowing it would happen
    NO

why no? I go backwards just because I like the burn it gives me.
  • mtnstar
    mtnstar Posts: 125 Member
    I think pregnancy stole my butt and redistributed it as a muffin top. Now that I've lost the weight and the muffin top, I still have no butt. I do squats with weights but have been considering the Brazil Butt Lift workout. I'm desperate- my pants won't stay up, even with a belt.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Stronglifts 5x5. Make sure your squats are to parallel. Also, lunges and barbell hip thrusts.

SideProgress.jpg
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    my butt got sooooo flat when i lost a bunch of weight. i have my booty back cuz i gained the weight back, but now i'm losing again and i'm gonna do it with squats cuz i dont want my booty gone ! i bought a 20 lb barbell yesterday, but i could only do 2 sets of 10 squats... and i can't go all the way down cuz it's soooo hard. but progress not perfection.. yet.
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Please for the love of the booty look up BRET CONTREREAS. He's the glute guy with all the info you will need to get the backside you are looking for. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bret-Contreras-Fitness-Page/196219527140228. Here's his facebook page, you can find his blog from here I think. He wrote Strong Curves.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    NO

why no? I go backwards just because I like the burn it gives me.

I already know that this is a no. I have a better picture of my shape on my profile. I have very toned limbs and doing the elliptical is mainly responsible for that - but it has not improved my bum because if it had then I wouldn't need to make this post.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Bret Contreras, Strong Curves.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Brazil Butt Lift - love it...fun, and great results!
  • fairygirlpie9
    OOOOOhhh there's something very sexy about Bret Contreras. Checking him out now. :wink:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    In case you missed all the other replies....YES SQUATS WILL ACTUALLY HELP YOU HAVE A NICE LIFTED BOTTOM!!!
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Please for the love of the booty look up BRET CONTREREAS. He's the glute guy with all the info you will need to get the backside you are looking for. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bret-Contreras-Fitness-Page/196219527140228. Here's his facebook page, you can find his blog from here I think. He wrote Strong Curves.

Yes! Was doing squats, step ups and it helped but Strong Curves has a glutes activation warm up that had me feeling things in a whole new way and getting even better results.
  • fairygirlpie9

Yes! Was doing squats, step ups and it helped but Strong Curves has a glutes activation warm up that had me feeling things in a whole new way and getting even better results.

The only issue I have with strong curve is would it be possible without having to go to a gym?
  • I have gotten my bum back twice before by walking, around town. I clenched my butt up hills if no one was around xD
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Yes squats work. So do barbell hip thrusts.
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    I workout at home and have an oly bar, 300lbs of weights, a bench, a step with 4 risers for hip thrusts, and dumbellls up to 25 lbs. I also have bands. I can't do every exercise, mostly I can't do pullups and things like that but I can compromise with what I have. I bought most of my stuff on craigslist for pretty cheap. You could also get a pullup bar but my house won't work with those.