My bum is rather flat. Will squats actually work?

13»

Replies

• jangier
    jangier Posts: 109 Member
    I believe they work - just add them into your regimen and give it some time.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    If you can't do 10 reps and get down to 90 degrees with the weight then try just 5-8 reps for now with better form. The form is more important than how many you are doing. Try 3 sets of 5-8 90 degree squats with the weight. and work up from there.

This is in response to Freddie11's post of - my butt got sooooo flat when i lost a bunch of weight. i have my booty back cuz i gained the weight back, but now i'm losing again and i'm gonna do it with squats cuz i dont want my booty gone ! i bought a 20 lb barbell yesterday, but i could only do 2 sets of 10 squats... and i can't go all the way down cuz it's soooo hard. but progress not perfection.. yet.
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    I workout at home and have an oly bar, 300lbs of weights, a bench, a step with 4 risers for hip thrusts, and dumbellls up to 25 lbs. I also have bands. I can't do every exercise, mostly I can't do pullups and things like that but I can compromise with what I have. I bought most of my stuff on craigslist for pretty cheap. You could also get a pullup bar but my house won't work with those.

This is what I am looking to do, been scouting CL for a bench, bar and weights to get started at home. Although I feel like I should go to a trainer at first to make sure my form is good. Any DVD/youtube recommendations?
  • toofatandy
    toofatandy Posts: 74 Member
    Downhill skiers have big butts, hence the squat position does work.

The power squat will utilize the glute muscles keeping your knees behind the toes.
    The Olympic squat knees over toes uses more quad muscles.
    Have someone watch over you while doing the exercise.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    OP your butt sort of looks like mine used to and i wouldnt necessarily say that you have a flat butt but since there is little difference from where the butt meets the thigh it makes it look like you have a flatter one than you have.

i've definitely noticed a HUGE improvement in that demarcation since i've been doing heavy weighted squats, running and walking hills, deadlifts AND having lost a good deal of inner thigh fat that was being squished out towards the back of my life (sorry TMI :laugh: )

the squats and deadlifts helped my butt look higher and more like a bubble. My butt isnt bigger (i'm fitting in smaller jeans after all) but it looks bigger/rounder

also there's a program by brett contreras called strong curves that i plan on starting once i get closer to my size goal
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    i started weighted squats in october.. here is my four month progress.. oct is the left, current is the right.. i also do a tonne of heavy lifting (6 days a week) .

note that I am also 6lbs heavier in the second picture. ;) its not all in the scale. ;)

2qir4ac.jpg
  • TX_Thundercat
    TX_Thundercat Posts: 2,437 Member
    Squats, lunges, split squats, deadlifts. Yes! I honesty believe, if all girls did squats, there would be no war.
  • I'm not sure if I *gained* a butt or if I lost weight and found the butt... Either way... 50lbs down and I no longer look like a frog that stood up.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    I wish I had taken side view pics before I started doing squats and deadlifts. My butt is bigger, but in a different way, and it's not as flat at the top anymore. I still need to lose a lot more fat before it looks good naked, but it's definitely better than it was! The Butt Bible is really good, and it's way cheaper than Brazil Butt Lift (the dvd was cheap, but it's also on youtube), plus it's a full body workout, not just for the booty.
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    I want to also add that I do not do that much core work. squats are fantastic for core.

and yes.. top three recommended work outs to cover all your bases from Butt to abs. Lunges/deads/squats
  • I am telling you, butt clench up hill xD.. It is silly but it works.
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    I workout at home and have an oly bar, 300lbs of weights, a bench, a step with 4 risers for hip thrusts, and dumbellls up to 25 lbs. I also have bands. I can't do every exercise, mostly I can't do pullups and things like that but I can compromise with what I have. I bought most of my stuff on craigslist for pretty cheap. You could also get a pullup bar but my house won't work with those.

This is what I am looking to do, been scouting CL for a bench, bar and weights to get started at home. Although I feel like I should go to a trainer at first to make sure my form is good. Any DVD/youtube recommendations?
    Again Bret Contreras has lots of instructional videos on you tube. I also used some of cathe fredrich on you tube and I have some of her dvds. I own strong curves and it has descriptions on how to do the exercises correctly. But I really like Bret's you tube channel with lots of videos. He's very thorough and explains things quite well.
  • themtron
    themtron Posts: 57 Member
    Bump for all the awesome advice.
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Squats will work. And donkey kicks. Do them both.
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Squats/lunges/deadlifts.....how often? And can you over-train your glutes?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    See a dentist?
  • npstout
    npstout Posts: 1 Member
    I haven't seen anyone mention them yet, so I will. Plyometric jump squats will really work your butt, especially if you drop your butt below your knees before the jump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jSZgpDjSBw
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    I haven't seen anyone mention them yet, so I will. Plyometric jump squats will really work your butt, especially if you drop your butt below your knees before the jump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jSZgpDjSBw

That looks like fun. I need to really look at all these videos and find a good routine that I can do daily for maximum results. Ideally a youtube video. hmmm . . .
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Look at how running backs and power position football players train legs. You will notice they all have large muscular hind quarters. All of the movements that have been recommended to you are spot on. Go deep and recruit the hams and glutes. Squat till you die !!!!!!!!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    See a dentist?

Wrong end, silly!