Do you record weight gains?

Options

Replies

• invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Yes, to remind myself that fluctuations are normal.
  • christa279
    christa279 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I was only weighing myself weekly and recording only the losses. I was also measuring monthly and recording that. I started getting a little obsessive and would get a little upset if I went over on calories some days. I started weighing myself daily and recording it here on MFP and measuring every 2 weeks (also recording). It's helped me to see how my body fluctuates and to look at the bigger picture (the trends). Since I am watching for trends in weight loss/gain, it is also helping me to focus on calorie intake for the week instead of daily. I ended up learning that even though I did go over in calories on some days, I was still in a deficit for the week and that was okay.

I think each person needs to do what works for them. For me, tracking losses helped when I had a bigger amount to lose. Now that I am getting closer to goal, it's helping to look at it differently. Plus I am learning more about my body!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Yep, otherwise what's the point? It does tee me off to gain/gain/gain and it doesn't show up on here, then when I lose, I get congrats and I'm just like, "I haven't lost anything. This is the same 5# I've been yo-yo'ing with since December."
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I record once a week, up down or the same. It keeps me focussed.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    yes, I record no matter what one time a week. it helps to keep track of patterns
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    My thinking is EXACTLY like you describe, OP.

I usually don't log a loss until it is sustained over 3+ days. It is tempting at times to log a "new low" I have not seen before. For example, the other morning I saw 193.2 and that's the lowest I have ever seen on the scale as an adult. But it was just one day. 194.6 has been steady for a week so that's my current logged weight.

I don't "gain" often, but occasionally due to increased sodium/restaurant meals or more exercise than usual, my weight will go up 1-2 lb for a few days. I don't log that. I just wait until it goes back down.
  • hrbonner
    hrbonner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I record my weight on here, once a week, no matter what!

I record the ups and the downs... the downs obviously make me proud but seeing the ups make me more determined.

It was valentines day last week and several friends birthdays.. i enjoyed myself but I had gained 5lb at my weigh in.

Doesnt matter, because if i track back to this time last year, I am still doing better than I was last year.

No idea whether I will have lost my 5lb this week, or whether it will take me 2 weeks to get it off. Not really bothered, because I know I WILL get it off and carry on losing.

We all have ups and downs! We're human!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    If you can see a pattern every month, then there is less stress.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I have only been here for a short while and I have not gained yet.
    But I will record all weights, regardless of gain or staying the same.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I only record losses and only when they stick around for a couple days. I was up .2 lbs this morning from yesterday, but will not log that since I didn't exceed my calories yesterday and have some post work out sore muscles that are probably retaining a bit of fluid. I weigh my self every day, so now after 8 months I'm fully aware of what causes my fluctuations and just don't stress about them.
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    In a word, nope. I go up and down regularly, since I am at goal, I don't stress about it.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do, if my water weight doesn't come off in about 3 days, I'll decide to record my gain and go from there, but usually the next day, my weight plummets back to where it was orginally, then I feel like such a dumbo.

As long as your doing the right things, no need to record your water weight.
  • other678
    other678 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't record weight gains either.
  • bradXdale
    Options
    Nah, because honestly I always float between 1-3lbs difference in my weight range.

I'll record the lowest number, say if I weight 257 and the next day I weight 258.5 I don't record that because I know numbers change daily.

Usually after a week or so though I'll be down a little further than the lowest number recorded and I can remind myself that it's working.

Everyone is different.
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I don't record weight gains on MFP, only losses. I record all of my gains/losses on http://www.weightchart.com/.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Yes, I record my weight every Monday no matter the result. Did when I was losing and still doing it in maintenance. I personally need this kind of accountability to stay on the wagon.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Like the OP I only record losses. It's not about feeling ashamed but the aim of the game is to lose and I don't want to get disheartened. Also normally if I gain the odd pound it's due to water retention, TOM etc and only lasts for a week or so. If my loss should ever stall beyond two weeks then I would look at my diet/exercise regime and adjust as necessary.
  • bluetuesday5
    bluetuesday5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I only used to if I'd gone a couple of weeks and it was up, ie I knew it was more than just water weight. Now I've started carb cycling I weigh and log daily.
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I only record losses on here, but I weigh every morning and log my weight in an excel spreadsheet with a graph. That way I see the daily fluctuations and the overall trend. It helps me remember that weight increases aren't the end of the world and peaks this month are lower than the peaks last month.
  • Hikr56
    Hikr56 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I basically do the same thing as you. I only ever record my losses on MFP. I "record" those normal, pesky 2lb fluctuations in my mind, and I use them to motivate me to exercise harder and pay a little more attention to my macros - specifically sodium.

I don't record the loses because it feels self defeating and serves no purpose towards my goal. I know I'm steadily losing and that's where I put my focus.

Now, if I go off the deep end and binge for a week or gain a legitimate 5/10 lbs on vacation, I will log that as a reality check!