Eating healthy + gym = weight gain!! WTF!!!!!!

Ok, I know there's many threads on this but I just wanted to make sure of the problem.

Background- weight at start 110kg - weight now 107kg. Probably been over a month on it properly.

I love in Vietnam and fortunately there's a restaurant that delivers health foods for people - calorie/ protein/ fat / carbs counted.
So I get from there everyday for breakfast/lunch/ dinner and put on the app to calorie count.

I also counted how many calories I required (186cm tall, 34, male) which resulted in between 2091 cals (if light excercise) to 2484 cals if moderate excessive. Currently I'm consuming around 1600 to 1800.

Exercise - I go to the gym 5 times a week before work & breakfast. In the gym I do 30 mins of cardio (run, bike, cross trainer on alternate days) & then I do the "7min workout" twice or weights etc. I'm guessing at saying I burn 400 to 600 cals. I guess that would be called moderate exercise

Last year I managed to get from 118kg to 93kg and it seemed less effort (maybe it wasn't) - before you ask it was a great summer when I spent a fortune and put all the weight back on.

I have a reasonable goal of 1kg a week but getting to my end of February target of 105 is doing my nut in! Last Monday I was 106 this week 107kg. I did go out Saturday night and drink (San mig light - 100 cal beer) but normally beer bloat doesn't last this long and retain the weight. That was my second drink of 2014.

As you can see I'm committed but i need to see results - started today measuring fat etc (I'm bloody obese, who would've thought it!!)

I think I know the answer but would like others suggestions - cheers!

Replies

• Hello there,
    Can I add myself to this as I have the same issue. I have been keeping to a low carb, no processed food diets for 2 months, exerise at least 3 times a week, sometimes 6 when I include yoga and spinning classes.

I'm keeping to 1200 calories net a day, (when I don't booze) and I have put on 1kg! Currenlty at 71kg, was 62kg last year before a summer of no exercise and eating what I wanted.

I really want to lose weight and become a gym bunny, but its soul destroying when I actaully put on weight after all the exercise, and eating raw veg and no processed foods, and cutting out coffee, wine, tea etc.

Is this my metabolism being a pain? Why am I not losing weight and how can I change this?

Any support will be great!

Sally x
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    As you can see I'm committed but i need to see results - started today measuring fat etc (I'm bloody obese, who would've thought it!!)

One's opinion on commitment doesnt equal results. If you are obese and eating healthy with exercise, it should be fairly achievable to lose weight comfortably. It seems like you arent calculating properly - overestimating your exercise/underestimating calorie amount.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Hello there,
    Can I add myself to this as I have the same issue. I have been keeping to a low carb, no processed food diets for 2 months, exerise at least 3 times a week, sometimes 6 when I include yoga and spinning classes.

I'm keeping to 1200 calories net a day, (when I don't booze) and I have put on 1kg! Currenlty at 71kg, was 62kg last year before a summer of no exercise and eating what I wanted.

I really want to lose weight and become a gym bunny, but its soul destroying when I actaully put on weight after all the exercise, and eating raw veg and no processed foods, and cutting out coffee, wine, tea etc.

Is this my metabolism being a pain? Why am I not losing weight and how can I change this?

Any support will be great!

Sally x

Low carb/ not processed....if you are eating too much of anything you will gain weight. Measure all your food...food scale....and really track EVERYTHING. Cutting things out isn't the answer. Burning less calories than consumed is. Get a HRM if you can afford one, and start to measure everything. You should see changes. I personally don't do net either. I pick a calorie goal and try and meet it. Right now I'm at 1600. Good luck!
  • jd1968
    jd1968 Posts: 5 Member
    i;am in the same predictament im doing 60 minutes of cardio every day and still stuck and i gave up sweets sodas and red meats. i was also told working out you may gain at first because your building muscle.hope this is true as summer aproaches i would love to wear a swim suit to the beach
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Any specific reason to give up red meats? Not criticizing, just honestly curious because they're such a fantastic source of protein.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    i;am in the same predictament im doing 60 minutes of cardio every day and still stuck and i gave up sweets sodas and red meats. i was also told working out you may gain at first because your building muscle.hope this is true as summer aproaches i would love to wear a swim suit to the beach

Also not true. MFP is getting really bad at cycling misinformation. Giving up things doesn't make you lose weight. A calorie deficit does. Cutting out soda etc is great in that it's removing empty calories, but if you are still eating more than you are burning you will continue to gain/maintain...and no you are NOT gaining weight from muscle. Water retention happens at the beginning of new routines due to the muscles needing it to repair...but it takes a whole lotta work to gain muscle and a lot of time.

You don't need to cut entire groups out...but you do need to accurately measure and log. That's all it comes down to. And that can include some sweets and a steak here and there! :-)
  • As you can see I'm committed but i need to see results - started today measuring fat etc (I'm bloody obese, who would've thought it!!)

One's opinion on commitment doesnt equal results. If you are obese and eating healthy with exercise, it should be fairly achievable to lose weight comfortably. It seems like you arent calculating properly - overestimating your exercise/underestimating calorie amount.

One did mention that I'm buying food from a place that supplies healthy and calorie counted meals. I put them on this app and calculates those figures. You maybe right about over estimating the calorie lost at gym but even without any gym sessh I would still be losing weight as under the 7000 deficit per week.

I think either i'm eating too much protein - around 50-60% of my intake and therefore not even carbs - body storing these, or I'm just not taking enough calories in + burning which is leaving a massive daily deficit - obviously these are suggestions I came on here to see what other people thought.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    First of all,
    protein...you can never eat too much protein. It turns to chyme so don't let some vegan myth that it will clog your digestive tract hold you back from eating it. Protein is the top proven maronutrient for losing body fat.

Second, weigh and measure your food

Third, when you eat is more important than anything food wise...get a personal trainer who's a physique coach to educate you on this.

best wishes,
    Coach Teresa
    Adv. Cpt
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

Third, when you eat is more important than anything food wise...get a personal trainer who's a physique coach to educate you on this.

best wishes,
    Coach Teresa
    Adv. Cpt

LMAO, and thus we see why not to take nutrition advice from many coaches and trainers
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    First of all,
    protein...you can never eat too much protein. It turns to chyme so don't let some vegan myth that it will clog your digestive tract hold you back from eating it. Protein is the top proven maronutrient for losing body fat.

Second, weigh and measure your food

best wishes,
    Coach Teresa
    Adv. Cpt

el oh el...

- Coach Kyle
    PhD - Debunking Broscience
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong but aren't you saying you lost basically 6 lbs in a month? That is something to be proud about. Also, when you are more active you are going to experience water weight fluctuations like you wouldn't believe. From start to end of the week I can go from plus or minus 6-7 lbs just in water weight. You should definitely get out the measuring tape and record that as well if you are feeling discouraged. Don't just measure your waist either.

Keep your head in the game and keeping going OP.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member

Nope, 60 minutes of cardio isn't going to build muscle that moves the scale upward, especially in a calorie deficit.

If you're doing 60 minutes of cardio a day and the scale isn't moving it is probable that you're underestimating caloric intake/overestimating caloric burn.

If you're new to exercise, your body can retain water until it adjusts, which can stall/raise the scale. You can have some noob muscle gains, but they're normally minimal at best, especially if you're only doing cardio.
  • Soooo first of all, I'd say lay off the Jager :-) Just kidding

Anyway, its GREAT to eat healthy - so much better for your body but bottom line is that to lose fat, you need to have a calorie defecit....and as far as the calculations of calories .... Don't count on the packaging... really... I would buy fresh stuff and make my own meals so you know EXACLTY what is in them and how many calories you are consuming.

Also, stay away from "diet" anything - that includes soda, artificial drinks like Crytal Light etc.

Also, maybe you're just gaining muscle? Do you see a difference in the appearance of your body? I know when I start working out after a long hiatus, I end up looking a little chubbier for a bit because I am gaining muscle before my body starts deciding to lose the fat...
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    If you are buying premade meals from someone can you really be sure they are 100% accurate on their calorie counts? if they are off but just 10% it could consume up much of your available calories.

As to the rest of the responses, well..Not sure what to say. You can eat whatever you want as long as you maintain your deficit, you can eat whenever you want as long as you maintain your deficit. It is true that getting extra protein after a workout can help with recovery time but other than that there really isn't much to say and you aren't building muscle if you are on a deficit you are trying to maintain it so the timing probably doesn't matter as much.

Now on the whatever you want - you should ensure you get a good nutrient mix in there, if you only eat chocolate cake every day, you will get very ill over time for lack of important nutrients but you will lose weight if you are below your calorie number.
  • itsfatum
    itsfatum Posts: 113 Member
    My tips:
    1) Forget about weight. Use body fat % as a measure of how well you are doing. (BIA analysis is not perfect, but it's a good place to start)
    2) Count calories, no matter what. Every single little thing, without excuses. Everyday.
    3) Don't eat at too high of a deficit, or else you will stop losing. Consider your BMR as your bottom limit (eating exercise calories). It may be a bit slower, but it is healthier and easier to stick to.

Seriously, forget about weight. You may be doing an INCREDIBLE job at cutting, while the scale goes up and up and up.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Soooo first of all, I'd say lay off the Jager :-) Just kidding

Anyway, its GREAT to eat healthy - so much better for your body but bottom line is that to lose fat, you need to have a calorie defecit....and as far as the calculations of calories .... Don't count on the packaging... really... I would buy fresh stuff and make my own meals so you know EXACLTY what is in them and how many calories you are consuming.

Also, stay away from "diet" anything - that includes soda, artificial drinks like Crytal Light etc.

Also, maybe you're just gaining muscle? Do you see a difference in the appearance of your body? I know when I start working out after a long hiatus, I end up looking a little chubbier for a bit because I am gaining muscle before my body starts deciding to lose the fat...

Doubtful on gaining muscle. Gaining muscle is EXTREMELY hard even when you're diet is on point, and you're spending hours in the gym lifting. OP is doing almost exclusively cardio. There may be some "noob gains" there, but those would be minimal and shouldn't really have any affect on the scale.

How does the body gain muscle before "deciding" to lose fat? If you too a hiatus, it's can be easier to put the muscle back on that you lost.
  • Soooo first of all, I'd say lay off the Jager :-) Just kidding

Doubtful on gaining muscle. Gaining muscle is EXTREMELY hard even when you're diet is on point, and you're spending hours in the gym lifting. OP is doing almost exclusively cardio. There may be some "noob gains" there, but those would be minimal and shouldn't really have any affect on the scale.

How does the body gain muscle before "deciding" to lose fat? If you too a hiatus, it's can be easier to put the muscle back on that you lost.

I would have to disagree with you - and those "noob gains" are what a lot of people on this site are going for, clearly when you already have as much muscle as you do - any substantial gains without "supplements" would be increasingly hard. For me, I can go from skinny-fat to noticably more toned in few months providing my diet isnt out of control. And I am sure that you see plently of bodybuilders with a "layer" on them in gym so you CAN gain muscle without losing all of the fat. and as far as my word choice "deciding" - just lay off the symantics - does it really matter in this setting?