What does your "diet" look like?

Hey! I am new to all of this and I have a lot of fat to lose but I do not want to lose the muscle that i do have. I also would like to gain some strength by lifting to maybe help in losing the extra fat. I know i cant really gain muscle and lose fat at the same time so I want to lose the fat first then work on ganing more muscle. BUT I need help with my food I have no idea how to figure out how my macros for this. Can anyone help me out? Also i would love to see what kind of foods you are eating to hit your macros right? I can do the calorie thing just have a hard time trying to figure out what to eat for what macros. Sorry if this sounds stupid I just no next to nothing about macros LOL Thanks!! :) ps I am 5'3 212 lbs I lost 30lbs with a calorie def. a year ago after i lost a little bit of pregnancy weight and gained it all but 5lbs back :( And I want to try something new!

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    I found iifym.com was pretty helpful for macro breakdown as a starting point. I only used their calculator, ignore everything else. I aim to at least meet my macros, I don't really mind exceeding. My diary is open. I'm in the process of finding my maintenance now. I like greek yogurts, legumes, eggs, fish, lean meats, peanut butter. Well, okay I just like food lol. The great thing about doing iifym is the freedom of knowing once I hit my macros, I can still squeeze in fun stuff. I've been lifting since June 20th, 2013. Started at 170 llbs at 5'3.5 ". I'm now 119 lbs and definitely saw huge strength gains and body fat reduction. Find foods you enjoy and a program you love. Like a friend of mine has said, love the process. Don't do something you are miserable doing or you won't stick it. Adherence is key to making this a lifelong hobby. Good luck!
  • jessica182517
    jessica182517 Posts: 390 Member
    Thanks for the advice!! :) I went to the site and it said that i should be eating 1g of protien per lb of weight that would be 212g a day..i think thats a little much? I thought it was supposed to be 1g per 1lb of lean body mass? What do you do?
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    I do lean body mass for sure. Bodybuilding.com calculates a general LBM if you want to see a general of what that is. I don't think it's overkill but I definitely stuck with the 1g pet pound of LBM, then didn't sweat it if I went a bit over :D
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Feel free to add me. I am a fan of IIFYM also. I set my own custom macros under goals. 1 gram per pound for protein is a good starting point. If you are lifing hard and challenging yourself you will also reduce body fat. You want to have enough carbs that you have energy for your workouts also. Im currently trying to maintain and build muscle. I really feel consistency is the key, if you are consistent with sticking with your numbers over time it works. Alos with iifym you can have foods you enjoy and and fit them into your day so you are not totally restricted from eating certain things. My diets consistents of lean proteins, eggs, skinless boneless chicken, lean turkey/beef, fish, greek yogurt, protein powder. Lots of vegetables a bit of fruit and I focus on more complex carbs, quick oats, sweet potatoes, brown rice, couscous, quinoa.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Yes, LEAN body mass. haha. I usually hit between 90-115 grams of protein a day. My macros right now are approximately 40c 30p 30f, but sometimes i get less carbs / more fat because i love my dairy and PB. So far I seem to be dropping about a half pound to a pound a week on that (eating below my TDEE obviously) and its working well. I don't have a ton to lose though so I really don't have drastic goals.
  • jessica182517
    jessica182517 Posts: 390 Member
    Thanks for all the great advice! :) It makes more since now.