Probably a daft question about water weight...

But here I go anyway :ohwell:

How can you tell when you've stopped losing water weight and are beginning to lose actual fat? Or is there no hard and fast rule?
Just curious.

Replies

• marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    In my experience, water weight is lost FAST.... in a larger amount than "normal" weight. You will be able to tell by measurements, I believe, and after the initial losses, that are bigger, even out and get a little smaller.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    losing water weight you pee a lot. Only lasts a couple of days.
  • ljs385
    ljs385 Posts: 44 Member
    Thanks for the replies :smile:
  • I think the first response is about my idea, it's an abnormal spike in the begining of weightloss that evens out and hopefully the loss becomes more stable.

As for peeing a lot, you should be peeing a lot all the time if you're drinking enought water to help along with the weightloss, so that's not exactly any sort of sign.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Your fat cells fill with water before they empty... that's how it works. So technically, you always lose water weight. Personally, I always know when I'm going to lose weight because I suddenly pee a lot (like... 5 times in one hour lot). Then the next day I'm down half a pound (I actually lost one pound in 24 hours 2 days ago).

The only way to know you're losing fat is to measure yourself.